You couldn't make it up

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had to share these two moments of exasperation. On Monday I had to go for a scan as my doctor was worried I may have an abdominal aortic aneurism. Thankfully the nurse was able to tell me that all was well and that my aorta was on the narrow side so that was a good sign. Anyway 1st moment of exasperation:-
On receiving my letter detailing my scan appointment I read that I would have to fast for 6 hours. Alarm bells began to ring as I immediately thought of potential hypo situation as my appointment was at 2pm. I worked out breakfast before 8am reduce insulin dose by at least a unit depending on what my reading was on waking. On Friday I rang the doctors to run past him what I intended to do and see if he could see any problems or if he had any advice regarding fasting. The duty doctor who rang me back has been at the practice at least 12 years and I have seen him about 3 times since I was diagnosed Type 1 nearly 4 years ago and bearing in my mind he was sat in front of a computer with all my medical history and I had outlined my intentions for preparing for the scan he started preaching about how I should eat more carbs then any other food stuff and if I did this then I would ALWAYS avoid hypos! After pointing out that I am happy with my control and management without overloading with carbs he said, "now let me see it's not as though you are totally dependant on insulin are you?" to which I replied, "well actually I am as I'm Type !" he then asked, "really, since when did that change?"
2nd moment of exasperation:-
On arrival at the hospital and after being shown into the scan room and during the course of the preparation conversation I said to the nurse that it was a relief I hadn't had a hypo after not eating for 6 hours. She asked, have you lost your appetite?" I said no the appointment letter told me not to eat for 6 hours and just drink water" she said " Oh there was no need to fast for this type of scan"

SandyXrssy27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oh What You Poor soul all that stress about fasting and there was No Need. Shame that they did not tag on the Bottom of letter No need to fast at all.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that would have been so helpful and spared me the stress if only the writer of the letter had been a bit more clued up. By the way welcome to this great forum SandyXrssy27

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Perhaps a letter to PALS would help future sufferers of these incompetents!

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
My hospital appointment letter said i must bring a urine sample taken at 1 hour after eating........when I got to the hospital the nurse didn't want it unless I thought I had any infections.................. :banghead:

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
O Lenny3 that's priceless :oops: That's a good idea CollieBoy anything to help others:)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My hospital appointment letter said i must bring a urine sample taken at 1 hour after eating........when I got to the hospital the nurse didn't want it unless I thought I had any infections.................. :banghead:
She was taking the p1ss (or wasn't):rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

SandyXrssy27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yes that would have been so helpful and spared me the stress if only the writer of the letter had been a bit more clued up. By the way welcome to this great forum SandyXrssy27

Thank you :)