You know you're a T1 when...

joelcam

first real night on the tiles since diagnosis last year tonight and I aint planning on tacking my man bag with me either..

10 years ago, night out would be "Money - Check, keys - check" - pockets not too full and I'm outta here....

Tonight however is "money - check, keys - check, test strips - check, novorapid - check, needles -check, monitor - check, lancing device - check, spare lancet - check, dextrose - check"....

Kind of funny and to think this time last year I would never have believed this would be the way my life was going to go...not bothered though, really positive about my diabetes and it does not control me, I control it...just made me laugh when I started thinking about what I need to do tonight....

Imagining being a teenager with T1 and fumbling for a condom in the heat of the moment and pulling out a foil dealed test strip......taking out your mobile to get a girls number and grabbing your monitor by mistake....would make a funny film if they ever made one.

JC

Reactions: 2 people

Shax72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Joelcam,

hehe......... am sure thats happened before !!

just dont try a BM with the latex......

and try tapping in a number that starts 07..........??

<<BANG>>

.......most place sell red bull....... great fix and quick for a low !!! 8)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hahaha!

that made me laugh.

I've pulled out a pen to prick my finger with before.

and pulled out my finger pricker to write with aswell!

As a girl i have a bagful of stuff anyway,

I've been to walk the dog before, with the intention to go to the shop too, so i brought along my glucose meter just incase and some Glucose tabs as it was a long walk... got to the shop and i'd been so engrossed in remembering my diabetes stuff i'd left my money at home. duhhh!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
You know you're a T1 when..............your kids don't like fruit pastilles cos they think they are mum's medicine!! :lol:

jopar

Even though female I still had to buy a handbag..

Now quite often I get my meter out instead of my purse to try to pay for my shopping :oops: :oops:

As to nights out, well not only do I get my little stash of diabetic kit, but I also get's hubby's as well :evil: :evil: I wonder how on earth him managed befor me :?

You wait, one day you will forget to pick up your meter, and you be more paniced about this than forgetting your keys :oops:

badmedisin

I carry horrific amounts of stuff! Luckily I'm not a tiny handbag kind of girl so the rucksack thing doesn't bother me. I bought a brilliant bag in japan that said 'lubricants' in huge letters. Sadly failed to have the expected shock value. My boss said I seemed like the kind of person who'd have a huge bag of lubricants. Hmm. And the nurse at the diabetic clinic thought I worked at the clap clinic upstairs. That's why I don't like going to clinic, it's the same door to get in so passers by think I've got crabs or something!

Bag avoidance is challenging though. Had to pack all my kit into little tins and stash them in multi-pocket combat trousers so I could go to Alton towers without a bag. Really you need to bring someone who is too short/ scared/ pregnant/ epileptic to go on any rides...

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
badmedisin said:
I carry horrific amounts of stuff! Luckily I'm not a tiny handbag kind of girl so the rucksack thing doesn't bother me. I bought a brilliant bag in japan that said 'lubricants' in huge letters. Sadly failed to have the expected shock value. My boss said I seemed like the kind of person who'd have a huge bag of lubricants. Hmm. And the nurse at the diabetic clinic thought I worked at the clap clinic upstairs. That's why I don't like going to clinic, it's the same door to get in so passers by think I've got crabs or something!

Bag avoidance is challenging though. Had to pack all my kit into little tins and stash them in multi-pocket combat trousers so I could go to Alton towers without a bag. Really you need to bring someone who is too short/ scared/ pregnant/ epileptic to go on any rides...

I love the bag!! haha.

Good idea about alton towers! everyone where i work is planning a staff strip so i'll remember that... not the combat trousers... the selection ofpeople to be the bag looker afterer!! :lol:

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
You know you're type 1 when your mate comes back from the bar and you go 'its DEFINATELY diet coke isn't it?'

Reactions: 4 people

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Dustydazzler said:
You know you're type 1 when your mate comes back from the bar and you go 'its DEFINATELY diet coke isn't it?'

Haha! Or you sip it and take it back and say 'this isn't diet is it?!' :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You know your type 1 when........................you are injecting in a restaurant and everyone looks at you in a disgusting manner as if you are shooting heroin! :shock: :lol:

Nigel

moonstone

Well, I don't now know if I'm a type 1 or not - waiting for test results - but have been treated as a T1 for 2yrs. I had a woman going nuts outside a pub's toilet cubicle at me, because she'd hassled me to get out and I'd told her I'd be out in a minute, I was just injecting some insulin. She was going mad, threatening to call the police and calling me disgusting and nasty ("You nasty, girrrrl, nasty!!"). In the end I said yeah go on then, call the police, I don't care. Then I asked if she'd ever heard of diabetes and she went silent then grovelled for my eternal forgiveness.

I don't inject in pub toilets any more.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
moonstone said:
I don't inject in pub toilets any more.

No I don't either moonstone, gone are those days!

I was self-conscious a few years ago about injecting in public, now I don't give a stuff and inject away, if people don't like it.............................tough! :twisted:

Nigel :)

badmedisin

You know you've been type 1 for too **** long when you're disappointed that nobody responds to your public injecting!

I have always injected at the table in restaurants. Nothing to be ashamed of, and no way I'm injecting anywhere near a toilet! Nobody has ever seemed to notice. Personally I'd get a huge laugh out of anyone calling the police on me. Not least because my veins are so useless that I'd make the world's crappiest heroin addict...

The only time anyone objected was when I used to keep all my kit in a tupperware box. The waiter told me off cos he thought I was going to eat my packed lunch in the restaurant. I showed him all the syringes and asked if he wanted a bite. He went away. Result :)

really had more issues trying to bring hypo treatments into clubs and gigs. They don't want you to bring tiny cans of pop. But no way I'm trusting that coke from a pump, I've seen the amount of syrup that goes into it and I'm not convinced it can possibly have as much sugar as bottled coke. I usually ask bouncers how they'd feel if I died in their club. That usually does the trick - just think of the paperwork! :)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
.....your mum has stopped to test you in the middle of the supermarket and then proceeded to feed you.
It is always food from my bag but one day I'm expecting to be accused of shop lifting.

I've also pulled up on the side of the road when travelling.

I used to go to the baby rooms to inject him but got too many stares so now just do it out where we are eating.

WhimsicalWays

Great post! The diet coke ones had me chuckling as this is far too familiar to me! [on a practical note, have you learned the trick of using keytone strips to test the coke?]

You know you're a T1 when...you now laugh when someone impatiently waits to take your parking spot, as you realize it's going to take a few dex tabs/ a juice box and a couple more blood tests before you can even consider leaving.

...you're at a family dinner and, when your mother is telling everyone what's for dinner, you are visibly counting on your fingers how many units of insulin you're going to give. You also have to try to remember to stop calculating, look appreciative, and say "wow, that sounds tasty!"

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
When people ask you 'are you alright' all the time... Yes I'm fine I'm just watching the black birds looking for worms on the lawn! I'm not hypo just coz I'm in my own little world for a minute!!

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
I loved all of these and they are all so true.
I had a waiter in Portugal almost ask me leave the restaurant my friends and I were in when i pulled out my pen to inject right after my meal. Thankfully the managers grandson had diabetes and came over and asked all about mine! PHEW! :lol: We were getting some really awful looks from the staff and other dinersfor a wee while because of that damned waitor but thankgod for that manager! After we all had a good laugh at him 'coz his boss made him cum over and apologise! :lol: :lol:

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
When your Mum says at least 10 times a day..........
You feeling low? you look pale, do your blood anyway!
No you can't have that now, wait til after dinner,
How many carbs?!?!
Did you wash your hands??
Have you got your kit bag? enough test strips? ect before going out,
Have you done your bs yet?
Have you done that injection yet?!?!
And all because she love you, xoxoxox
Suzi x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You know you're type 1 when you have a tattoo of an injection saying you are diabetic on your arm near your wrist, your last name and date of birth.

I saw this tattoo on a gentleman in a Tesco cafe, and thought it was brilliant, as everyone would know without asking in emergencys. I wanted one, but despite being t1 I haven't got the nerve to have those tattoo needles.......

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
anytime you have an argument with your husband/wife, they always put it down to you being hypo. You're argumentative therefore you must be hypo.

:evil: