1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

You know you're a T1 when...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by joelcam, Jun 18, 2010.

1. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

I think Type 2s can also see themselves in many of these posts :)

2. ebony321

ebony321 · Well-Known Member

HAHA!

Well gold medal time for me maybe :wink:

I like to think in future ill be as quick as those kids who do 'cup stacking' if you've ever seen it? :lol:

I walk around with headphones alot and my kid sister has nudged me once ''your pump is beeping at you, sort it out!'' haha.

3. RebeccaSmith

RebeccaSmith · Well-Known Member

you know you're a type 1 diabetic wheneveryday you wish as though you could go back to that day before you were diagnosed, to that day when you could eat whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted; when you didn't have to think twice about nipping out; when you didn't need to worry about going to the doctors or the hospital regularly; when people didn't ask what you were doing when you stick that needle in yourself; when you didn't have people assuming that because you stick 4 needles in yourself everyday, that you just become used to it (you can NEVER get used to sticking needles in yourself when that memory of a better day still persists); when you didn't have to apply for special forms just to drive; when you didn't have to learn how to carb count; when you could go for a bike ride in the sunshine without worrying what your bloods are doing; when you didn't have a care in the world and you felt as though you could conquer anything and that diabetes was not conquering you - when you felt as though you had control of your life, and not some disgusting disease controlling you.

I am clearly bitter about all this. I miss pre-diabetes life. All I can say is that I am lucky to have lived 16 years without it - 16 years of content, carefree life. And sometimes, just sometimes, I can see how being a diabetic has it's upshots too. I just hope that people with diet influenced diabetes are able to stop themselves falling to the point of insulin dependant - food may be good, exercise may be a pain, but trust me, insulin dependance is not fun for you and it's not fun on the people around you..

4. joelcam

joelcam · Well-Known Member

Hi Rebecca,

I actually started this thread with a view to making people laugh and see the funny side of being a diabetic. I read your post and can see you that you took a slightly different angle but it's all good - nice to get things off your chest!

You mentioned a lot of things but one thing that you said that stuck in my head was that you used to feel like you could conquer anything and don't anymore. The way I feel is quite the opposite, I feel more like I can conquer anything now! Being a T1 is a real challenge (but not as challenging as what some people go through) but the fact I can kick it's @ss everyday makes me feel like I can do anything. Appreciate things become more challenging but the only limitations are either ones you create yourself (as in I can't do that anymore because I'd probably have a hypo etc) or ones that are good limitations (such as I can't eat 3 donuts in a row washed down with a litre of coke).

Sorry to hear you feel as bad as you do about it and I guess you are looking at T1 from a different perspective. I may have hated it had I been your age at diagnosis rather than 31.

Hope things work out for you.

JC

5. LaughingHyena

LaughingHyena · Well-Known Member

When you get up form the table after dinner and your trousers fall down. I always forget to fasten them up after injecting.

6. Froobes

Froobes · Well-Known Member

When you lunge straight into a speech about why you are allowed to eat this blueberry muffin as you're having a hypo, feeling very self-righteous and smug all the while at proving your partner wrong.

When you can feel yourself giving your partner the glare your mother gave you as a child for misbeahving when he tells you you must have done too much insulin for that meal, it sounded like too many clicks.

When even at 21 and due to be married your mum still can't help but text you several times a day just to make sure your bloods are okay.

When your sister is a nurse and sends you a photo of a foot infected with gangrene JUST to remind you how vigilant you have to be.

7. Debloubed

Debloubed Type 1 · Well-Known Member

well you never know, you might just forget ;-) HAHA! that is so like my Mum who says things like 'well you know you have to be careful' - really Mum? you think?! she always giggles when she says (out of habit at meal times) 'have you done your insulin?' and I say 'nah, thought I'd give it a miss today, see how that works out for me ;-)'

8. Froobes

Froobes · Well-Known Member

Ha ha you're exactly the same as me! I know they're concerned and I appreciate it but the menace in me can't help but wind them up sometimes :lol:

9. LittleSue

LittleSue Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You know when you're a T1 on DAFNE when Practice Nurse Clueless insists you 'must' do something like always eating same carbs/same time/same dose and you say "some days I do, some days I don't" just to see the reaction! Being vague about how many times a day you inject is fun too!

10. zoeee

zoeee · Member

rebecca - i could've written that! i feel exactly the same way about it, as much as i try to look on the "bright side", i find it very difficult to and everyone else seems to handle it a lot better than i do. i hope it gets easier for you x

11. Dustydazzler

Dustydazzler Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ugh too many times!!

• Like Like x 3
  12. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

You know you're T1 when it takes you longer to get ready to go out than your missus as you're sorting out your man-bag ! Grrr

• Like Like x 4
  13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

:D...........how true..........:(

14. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to take longer than the missus before lol.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

15. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

You know you are Type 1 when every journey out of the house is like going on an expedition: tester - check, bolus - check, basal - check, needles - check, testing strips - check, lancets - check - on and on and on.

You also know you're Type 1 when instead of a dainty clutch bag you have a flippin' suitcase for an evening out!!!

Smidge

• Like Like x 3
  17. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That was my justification for getting my other half to buy me a mulberry last year

"I can't go on a night out with my small bags now. I need a pretty big one for all my kit"

And when that failed

"I've got diabetes now, you have to be nice to me" (he lost interest in this excuse very quickly haha)

• Like Like x 2
  18. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've just done this, two nights in a row! Dextrose down the hatch, brush teeth again!

19. sam381

sam381 Type 1 · Member

This is so true! I love this thread.

20. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've used "you can't be horrible to me, I'm disabled now"

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook