You may find this a strange question!!

Mervyn

Hi,
I am currently trying to stop smoking but still crave the nicotine!! I have started using e-cigs and e-liquid. The problem is that my glucose readings are starting to increase dramatically. I know that the e-liquid uses propolylene glycol and vegetable glycol.

Anyone any ideas??? I know I should just stop smoking but after 50 years of the dirty habit am finding it very,very hard and although these e-cigs still have nicotine the 4000 odd other toxins are not there including carbon monoxide. But am I substituting the harmful effects of tobacco smoking with very high levels of glucose and the problems that may cause?

Mervyn

Hi phoenix,
Yes I just found a link between nicotine and it restricting Insulin..I am using a very high nicotine level of 24mg!! I did intend weaning myself off nicotine gradually but may have to speed it up. I can go 18mg,12mg,6mg then 0...I will try a big jump downward to 12mg on my next order of liquid. After 50yrs I just do not have the will power to stop immediately :oops: But overall I think the e-cig is better for me in the long run. I will have to discuss with my DNS when I speak to her next week unless my BS levels hit alarming highs...at the moment the highest has been 15.6 but has settled to 11.1.

Thanks for your reply

Mervyn

Gwynethjones

Hi Mervyn,
I've just joined this site, not a diabetic myself but my brother is. However I did give up smoking. I could not give up just by stopping and can really understand if you can't either. I just stopped myself each time I let up a cigarette and asked myslf whether I was enjoying it or just smoking out of habit/addiction. If I was smoking out of habit I put the cigarette out, but if I was actually enjoying it I carried on. It took a little longer to give up, the ones after a meal and with alcohol being the worst, but eventually I realised it was habit/addiction. I gave up approx 25 years ago. Occasionally (maybe twice a year) if I have had way too much to drink I might have a cigarette still, but either I immediately put it out because it tastes so disgusting, or in the morning I hate the taste in my mouth and the smell in my hair and on my clothes..... it definitely stops you wanting to light up another.

Good luck with your quest, and if you don't succeed.... don't give up trying to give up :thumbup:

tree-peony

Hi Mervyn. I weaned myself off the dreaded weed on e-cigs. I went from 50 a day to nothing in 3 days! Nicotine strength wise, I started on medium for about a month, low for another 2 months, then zero for about a fortnight, then gave that up as well. No idea what it did to my BG tho, as I wasn't diabetic then (maybe!!).

Hope this helps!