Younger diabetic any advice?

Lfcrab

Hi everyone
I have only recently been diagnosed with diabetes about 8 months ago i am a little confused to my blood sugars, For the first few moths it was easy to track good blood sugars doctors had no problems therefore dibetes was going well but now i have hit age 13 its all gone wrong high and low blood sugars insulins hard to justify and it is just generally hard to control, Firstly is puberty doing this? If so do you have any advice and secondly why is it that even when i carb co8unt i still have technicalities with my diabetes.
Thankyou

Lfcrab

mikethebike

a long time ago in a galaxy far far away I was your age and had been type 1 for about 8 years.
It is probably puberty. Your body grows more quickly and your system goes all over the place even if you were not diabetic.
Yor diabetic clinic /nurse whoever should give you some advice.
The main is try to keep the blood sugar where it should be....but it wil go all over the place.
If you feel pants its too high. If you havent had a hypo you arent missing anything

At that time we didnt even have anything to check blood sugar levels ourselves. But Im pretty sure it wasnt good!!!

Dont let yourself get down about the situation & dont worry too much

You will probably need to have your change insulin types and diet changed at some stage soon.
I would try to carb count everything. That way you are doing all you can.
It can also depend more on the type of food that contain the carbs.

My youngest son is 14 and T1 since he was 10 and it seems pretty much the same as you have written.

Reactions: 2 people

Lfcrab

cheers for the advice i still have so much to learn *sigh* and i hope my doctors can really do something to change the blood sugars.

Lel

I'm almost 25 and still don't quite 'get it' :lol:

I carb count (or try) and i still get it a little wrong sometimes but I think that a little trial and error go a long way to helping you further down the line.

Have you tried keeping a food diary??
I found this helps. take note of bg before eating 1hr after then 2 hrs after and you can begin to see what different foods do to you.
you will have to cut some things out that you love....for me it's a good old big mac.....but now and again if you can cover it with insulin properly, you can treat yourself.

there are loads of people here that can help so just ask.
Pm if you need to rant or just talk, i may be a little older but still a big kid.

good luck

x

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hiya,
The chances are is that it has alot to do with puberty, you should make an appointment at your clinic to see what can be done about it. A change in insulin might be a possibilty, what type are you on now? I was changed to Basal/bolus when I was in my teens to help cope with the stresses being a teen, like lying in and not wanting that breakfast before school etc. They might need to put you on a longer needle (that is definitly not meant offensivly in any shape or form) to make sure your insulin is going where it should be going.
Anyway my best advice is to organise a meeting to get things sorted out, the 'experts' usually have an answer.

Good Luck!
Shell
xoxox

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TPW. If I had any idea what you are on about I may agree with you. I will have to be contented with suffering a smile every time I see your picture or imagine your dulcet tones.

wiflib

Pink

Hiya Lfcrab

I'm 24 now and was diagnosed when I was 5 so I completely understand your predicament right now.

My memory isn't that great to be honest so I'll try and do my best to give you some half way decent advice. :)
When I was 12 I was put on basal bolus to basically cope with puberty and changing of lifestyle habits- it really helped me. What insulins are you on? I was put on Humalog and Insulatard and it worked well for me. But I didn't do carb counting the way they do it now.

But what I did do was that I roughly had the same amount of carbs with every meal- that does give you better control as your able to keep your doses pretty much the same and make adjustments more easily as there aren't as many variables. (I.e an extra helping of ice cream tutt I wasn't even allowed ice cream :cry: - lol). It can be annoying but if you really desire better control I recommend that, as my control was very steady during my teens cos I pretty much stuck to a diet of controlled carb amounts.

But to be honest you're not going to be able to get it 100% right because the chemistry of your body is changing, so try not to spend too much time stressing over it as ultimately you won't be able to control it as well as you wish so make sure you give yourself some slack!

What I would suggest though is that you voice your concerns strongly with your diabetic team and ask them to help you on a more regular basis until you feel happier with the way things are going. Also ask your diabetes team if theres a group or clinic for people your age or maybe ask them to introduce you to other diabetics your age as to be honest most of us on here are well beyond your years and prob aren't as helpful for you but of course will try. Also treatment and procedure has changed so much that the way your diabetes team care for you is very different I'm sure to the way I was cared for and I'm sure many others were cared for when they were younger.

Pm me any time if you want to chat and I hope this was vaguely helpful.

Pink xx