Younger sister won't take her insulin/manage her diabetes properly, I don't know how I can help her.

kshluna

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so I'm sorry that it's a personal rant/question but I don't know where else to go to find help.

My little sister was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes since she was 14 years old, for a few years after her initial diagnosis everything went smoothly as she learnt how to manage her condition, however in the past couple of years things have changed.

She resents having to inject herself and take insulin and the majority of the time she refuses to do it. She will do it occasionally when me or my mother specifically asks her to but in the past year I seen her take the initiative and inject herself ONCE, and I see her every weekend. She typically eats a high sugar/carb diet and will eat, for example, a couple packets of crisps in a row or a medium sized bag of sweets at once without injecting her insulin. She is now 18 and as an adult we can't control her, she has to make her own decisions, I just don't know how to help her and encourage her as when she tells me how unfair it is that she has Type 1 diabetes and will have to inject for the rest of her life, I have no response. FYI, she knows the severe risks well, but can't seem to bring herself to care.

Also exacerbating this problem a lot is the fact that she has (I believe) depression, she exhibits most of the symptoms which I recognise because I myself used to have the condition. However she is not currently on anti-depressants. Recently she and my mother moved house and now live in a different area where she is not yet registered with the doctor, we have been encouraging her a lot to go register and explain her symptoms to the doctor, she has been taking baby steps towards it and recently visited to drop her registration form, however she has to return to the doctor and make an appointment which she has as of yet failed to do.

On top of this she is unemployed and spends basically all of her time alone and at home. She rarely talks to friends outside of internet friends. The fact that she is failing to take insuling must make her mental conditions worse. I think she understands that but she is so far down the spiral she is finding it extremely hard to break out. I have lost a lot of sleep worrying about her, I am always supportive of her but it doesnt seem to make a difference, I'm lost and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I would be really grateful for any suggestions or advice at all because I just want to help her any way I can.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kshluna Welcome to the forum :)

It does sound like she is in denial, which is why getting her to register with a doctor and to establish support in her local trust is so important for her. How does she cope with getting repeat prescriptions ? As she would need to have some form of contact for this to happen.

Sadly type 1 is linked to depression, couple this with running high blood glucose levels then it will exacerbate the issue, getting better control will help her cope better mentally, but it's also getting her to admit this is an issue too. Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation have meet ups, may be if she meets other type 1's it will help her accept her condition, you could also see if she could join up here and talk to other type 1's ? Lots do suffer and with some support they can turn it around, but ultimately it's got to come from her. We have some great members here who can offer her support and she wouldn't have to feel alone.

kshluna

Thank you very much @Juicyj for your thoughtful response. I agree that support from the GP is very important. I think she might be a bit overwhelemed to do it on her own in the new area at the moment, but luckily in 2 weeks I will have some holiday from work and I can walk with her to the doctors and support her as she gets help.

I will recommend this forum to her, I have lurked for a while to try and learn more about what it's like for her and I think she would benefit from the supportive environment. Thank you for the information about meetups from JDRF, I will look into it and discuss it with her.

Reactions: ickihun and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think the fact you have changed areas would contribute to her self management care and the fact she's not taking the right steps to manage her condition, so if there is an underlying depression then it would simply be a downward spiral, getting support does take courage as she may not be willing to admit to any of this, as I said before she's not alone, many others feel the same way as her, so the fact you will take some time off work and will get her booked in to the GP and start helping her in regards to getting some support will help hugely. Can I just suggest to think about booking the GP apt now as each surgery has different waiting times but if you plan it now then you should be successful getting an appointment for that week.

Reactions: azure

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thankyou @kshluna for being a good sister. A sister's support can make all the difference!

kshluna

I think the fact you have changed areas would contribute to her self management care and the fact she's not taking the right steps to manage her condition, so if there is an underlying depression then it would simply be a downward spiral, getting support does take courage as she may not be willing to admit to any of this, as I said before she's not alone, many others feel the same way as her, so the fact you will take some time off work and will get her booked in to the GP and start helping her in regards to getting some support will help hugely. Can I just suggest to think about booking the GP apt now as each surgery has different waiting times but if you plan it now then you should be successful getting an appointment for that week.

Yes you've hit the nail on the head, she found it hard to adapt to the move. I think so too, which is why I'm so glad that I have some time off. Discussing it here has already made me feel more optimistic, she's a tough girl who has just hit a hard time and I know she can do it. I will take your advice and get the GP appointment made ASAP. I do think she wants to get help and pull herself out of the slump, she's just finding it difficult to escape the cycle. Thank you for your kind words again :happy:

In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions about how to comfort her I'd like to hear them. She sometimes says she hates injecting and that life hasn't been fair to her, to be honest she has a point, anyone would hate it. And life really hasnt been fair to her. But is there a way to help her be more accepting of it? Anything someone with Type 1 might want to hear?

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions about how to comfort her I'd like to hear them. She sometimes says she hates injecting and that life hasn't been fair to her, to be honest she has a point, anyone would hate it. And life really hasnt been fair to her. But is there a way to help her be more accepting of it? Anything someone with Type 1 might want to hear?

I have thought about it not being fair, however I hold a belief that as a type 1 I have become stronger but only by accepting this and managing it so that my diabetes doesn't rule my life, when it does start to over whelm me then I just keep doing the testing, insulin and work through it. To quote something I read recently - I do stuff now because of the diabetes, before I wouldn't of probably of done it, so it has made me challenge doing more with my life because I can and I am lucky to be here.