your daily diet and treats please?

roxy44

Hi

Can i ask if its not too much trouble, what is your daily diet? and if any daily treat?

i would appreciate this and it gives other newbies like me an insight to what we need to change, thanx so much in advance xxx

LauraNoraLoo

Ive always been quite "anti diabetic" in the way that when a plate of biscuits is passed round people tend to say "oh sorry you cant have one, i shouldnt have offered" - it is one of my pet hates after having diabetes 11 years!

I did the DAFNE card counting course and the "slogan" for it was "like what you eat - eat what you like"

I think this is an excellent way to some it up! dont give up foods that yu like, just eat in moderation, take note of what you have eaten and adjust insulin doses or medication accordingly.

Im not sure whether you are type 1 or type 2, im type 1 so this advice/insight might be no use to you!!

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I definately agree with you on that one lora! Its just people being considerate i understand but it definately irritates me every now and then! Usually i say yes though to prove a point, since ive had the pump though people usually say 'oh you can have one now because of your pump' i usually say 'ive always been able to have one maybe now ill have two ;) haha'

Roxy - i wont share my diet and treats as it would probably not suit a T2 diet controlled! But i will advise, following others diets if that would be a good starting point, but remember what works for one person may not work so well for another!!!

Keep testing and testing and see what you can eat without pushing your bg's out of range. Experiment, eat well and exercise when you can! Make it fun and remember its only early days for you so dont beat yourself up if things dont go right or if you eat one too many treats!!!

Diabetes isnt a prison sentence, once you learn how your diabetes likes to behave then it'll get loads easier!!

Good luck :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Roxy is T2 so is not able to adjust her meds to cover sugary or high carb foods. But thats not to say she cant have a treat every now and then. :D

Roxy , when I was newly diagnosed I used to think that as I was eating less food I would have a weekly treat of a meal out usually a curry as that is my favourite food. It would help keep me on the straight and narrow, diet wise. If I didnt go out I would pick another treat be it a chocolate éclair or a scoop of ice cream, anything that I could look forward to that would keep my from snacking.

As for daily diet I just cut right back on the amount of food I was eating, I stated using a smaller plate, which I still use when at home, I cut right back on the carbs and increased the amount of salad and vegetables I ate but not by a huge amount. I cut out all the choc bars I had been eating and all other sweet treats and before long I found my palate changed and now I no longer crave the sweets that I used to. I think it helped me that I was terrified of diabetic complications and wanted to do everything I could to avoid them :D

anniep

Roxy

I find as a woman there are times when I just can't say no to chocolate. When that happens I eat some 85% dark chocolate, this is quite low sugar - for a chocolate - and the high fat content slows down the absorption of it, and a strip of it does no damage to my BG levels. Most of the supermarkets do a verison of it.

It is an acquired taste and will never be my favourite cadburies but it serves it's purpose and satisfies that craving.

Sadly though it is just as high in calories as any other chocolate...

Other people use the sugar free jellies to satisfy their cravings fo sweet things, some people find fruits, generally the berries such as blueberries and rasperries don't effect their BG levels. But some fruits such as grapes send me sky high.

But for us T2's who are oral medicine or diet only, then there is not as much leeway as people on insulin have for a sugary treat.

Anniexx

C

catherinecherub

Hi Roxy,

Life would be boring without treats but it is early days for you. Try and concentrate on improving your eating plan, something that will be acceptable for the rest of your life, and restrict your treats to once a week. Anything you fancy is acceptable as long as it is moderate.

Focus on the weight loss and a new wardrobe full of clothes, a much better incentive for us gals. :wink:

You could always reward yourself with a beauty product or treatment. (A facial is a great treat.) Maybe a CD that is on your wish list or a new handbag. Leave the shoes as your feet will end up slimmer too. :eek:

The more weight you lose then the happier you will be and the more confident you will become. If you lose 1lb per week then in a year you will lose nearly 4 stone.

I know it is hard and we all want it to happen yesterday but if you persevere you will be surprised how achievable it is.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
My daily diet is 3 sandwitches (1for breakfast, 1 for lunch and 1 about an hour before bed) and 1 cooked meal with a couple of potatos or a couple of spoonfulls of rice and loads of salad. I just make sure that I don't over do it with the carbs, two years of testing has shown me how much my body can tolerate.

As for treats, about 3 times a week I eat a bar of sneakers, sometimes 2 or 3 Reach Tea biscuits or a small portion of ice cream (one with the lowest sugar content). Last night, about 2 hours after supper I had 2 pieces of sponge cake, I didnt weigh them but together they probably weight less then 70/80 gramms. My BG at 11pm was 6.1. :D

I've never had great cravings for sweet things but do like someting sweet and will eat it if there's something in the house but only one small portion once a day, no more. Otherwise, if I do get a craving a cup of de-caf tea with 2 sweetners helps to keep me out of the fridge.

anniep

This where it is important to know your own body because mine is particularly sensitve to wheat, and if I ate Ka-mon's diet I would have high BG levels. On the other hand, I can (but I don't usually) eat potatoes in bigger amounts than many people are able to.

This condition is a learning process and you are just starting on it, and getting to know your own body is very important. But it won't happen overnight, most of us have taken some time to do it and we were all confused and overwhelmed to start with.

Testing testing testing is the key to start with.

Mary_Briggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym
Roxy

I find as a woman there are times when I just can't say no to chocolate. When that happens I eat some 85% dark chocolate, this is quite low sugar - for a chocolate - and the high fat content slows down the absorption of it, and a strip of it does no damage to my BG levels. Most of the supermarkets do a verison of it.

It is an acquired taste and will never be my favourite cadburies but it serves it's purpose and satisfies that craving.

Sadly though it is just as high in calories as any other chocolate...

Other people use the sugar free jellies to satisfy their cravings fo sweet things, some people find fruits, generally the berries such as blueberries and rasperries don't effect their BG levels. But some fruits such as grapes send me sky high.

But for us T2's who are oral medicine or diet only, then there is not as much leeway as people on insulin have for a sugary treat.

Anniexx
I find that now I am eating dark chocolate I'm getting a taste for it and milk chocolate tastes too sweet I keep a block in the fridge and have just one strip,Mary