1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Your Everyday gear... What do you take with you when you go to work/school/out?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by tim2000s, Dec 28, 2016.

1. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Following another topic, I thought it would be interesting to see what people take with them on a day to day basis as it does seem to vary based on an individual's preferences. Ignoring your pump, if you use one, as that's a given, what else do you carry with you?

For me personally, on a work day, I'll sling my blood testing meter in its case and a Novopen in my bag, and there's always a Mio in my desk drawer. Then I have my RileyLink in my pocket for Pump to iPhone comms. I don't really need the blood meter as I'm using a Dexcom G5 and I always bolus off that.

On a night out, it goes down to less. I'll simply have the RileyLink and a Pen.

When on MDI, I used to carry similar, but with two pens rather than a pump. How does your kit look?

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Meter, spare cannula and hypo treatment for diabetes and for my Addison's extra steroid in case of need.

• Like Like x 1
  3. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Theses are the things that come out of the bag ang get used all day long (and this is the stuff that gets taken on a night out or on a run)
    • iPhone to recieve dexcom readings
    • PDM (which is glucose monitor and pump controller)
    • Test strips
    • Lancing device
    • Dextrose tablets
    There will be various other hypo treatments hanging around my handbag, desk drawer: glucojuice; rice cakes; I think I've got bits of rock somewhere.

Then I have a "pump death" kit, which hardly ever comes out of my bag (apart from the odd occasion when I sit down and pod starts screaming to let me know it's occluded, my colleagues really enjoy that) and that has;
    • Spare pod
    • Vial of novorapid
    • Spare batteries
    • Ketone monitor and strips
    • Novorapid flexpen
    • Levemir flex pen
    • A few needles
    • More dextrose tablets
    I don't travel light...

• Like Like x 1
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Spare Pod, insulin, mylife Daily Dose syringes, Steret Swabs, batteries and test strips (all in the PDM case), GlucoJuice, Glucotabs and a oat bar in coat pockets.

5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I was assuming that we all carried hypo treatments of some sort, so was really more interested in what "Kit" items people carried as standard. I think it's an interesting one as it relates to pumps and different types of pumps.

6. PseudoBob77

PseudoBob77 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

All the usual,
    Insulin
    Blood test meter
    Biscuits for any hypo, always have food with me. My Galaxy phone for electronic diary

7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Work days. Novorapid, needle + 2 spare needles which are stowed in separate compartment. BM meter, lancet + 4 test strip's aim to test twice at work 2 strip's for unforeseen occurrences.
    Weekend days. If eating out, novorapid as above, BM meter, lancet + 2 test strip's and cotton wool.
    Never actually pack hypo treatment as after so many years I just have glucotabs and jelly babies in every conceivable location. Every coat pocket, car cup holder and door panel, work locker and tool box and special bag I take to every gym session.

8. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If out for more than an hour, I take a Mio, reservoir, pen, battery, glucose/ketone test kit and hypo treatment. In over 6 years, I've only had to change the battery in my pump once, while out.

9. fairylights

fairylights Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have a 640g - so I carry my contour next monitor and sometimes a ketone monitor and spare monitor (probably because it's still in my bag from last time I stayed overnight somewhere). My real spares kit is in a make up bag - it has my current bottle of humalog plus a spare filled reservoir which I will use the next time I do a set change, a reservoir in a pack, a mio, an A4 battery, a spare finger pricker as I find the ones that comes with the contour keep breaking on me, some ketone strips, a vial of test strips, some syringes (instead of carrying a pen for spare), the belt clip.

10. rockape37

rockape37 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When out and about when not working i just have my blood testing kit with spare lancet drums, a small packet of hand cleaning wipes and dextrose tablets.

When working all of the above plus.
    Vial of insulin in current use.
    3 infusion sets.
    3 Reservoirs.
    Quickset inserter.
    Spare Contour meter.
    Spare box of test strips.
    Glucagon hypo kit.
    Freestyle Ketone meter and test strips.
    Novo rapid cartridge.
    Novo pen.
    Needels for pen.
    Spare finger pricker.
    Spare batteries for pump.
    lucozade and spare food stuffs.

Some may think i carry a bit much for work but i do 12 hr shifts and travel 30 miles to work.
    I have experienced the need to do a set change due to high bg etc also on one occasion the adhesive patch on one or two occasions has got stuck to the inserter so just incase the canular has been damaged or dislodged during the process i change it.

Regards

Martin

#10 rockape37, Dec 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  11. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

2 meter kits including lancets, strips, pricker (in case 1 breaks/old days runs out of batteries or i forget to put main one in my bag)
    2 infusion sets- i keep a steel canula specially for this as no sharps disposal needed
    Infusion set plugs in meter kits in case i go swimming
    A few syringes
    Vial of insulin(i don't use pens)
    Batteries
    Glucose tabs
    Cereal bar
    Libre reader if I have a libre in.

I have occasionally run out of tablets and go for the sugar packets at work as a good substitute.

If i'm just round the area then meter, glucose and phone with librelink.

My handbag is not light.

#11 tigger, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:22 PM
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  12. steve_p6

steve_p6 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Libre, Dextrose Tabs, Novopen, wallet, phone. I'm a bloke what more do you need.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Two small lollies (nothing gummy) in an empty test strip container in case of a hypo..... whenever I leave the house.

14. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So you take a bolus insulin pen with you more or less everywhere? Interesting to hear that - but it does make sense if your pump somehow fails.

Basal and bolus insulin pens, 2 needles, Dario Smart meter, 1 spare lancet.

I travel very light. I also usually have a Libre on and use my Smartphone with that.

15. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Basically, there's one in my coat pocket and one in my backpack, then of course one in the desk drawer at work.

16. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes - it's a requirement for a pump as you have no basal hanging around your system so you can go into DKA a lot faster if you have a set failure. I rarely carried insulin and syringes unless I knew I was out for supper before getting a pump as I only injected 3 times daily (2 x in the evening) and now take it everywhere unless I'm only out for an hour or so.

17. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Although, if you simply carry a syringe, that also suffices as you can always withdraw insulin from the pump reservoir.

18. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Basal & Bolus pens
    Test strips
    Needles
    Lancets
    Sharps box
    Meter
    Ketone meter/strips
    Spare batteries
    Dextrose
    Glucogel
    Glucagen injection kit

I use a messenger bag and it goes with me to work

19. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

If I was travelling a considerable distance from home or staying overnight somewhere then I do carry a basal pen, for days out & about (be it work or recreational) I don't carry a basal pen.

20. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is that bolus or is it basal @noblehead?:)

If it is in fact basal you intended to type, do you carry a bolus pen everywhere by default too?

#20 GrantGam, Dec 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook