Your favourite kitchen items

ShyGirl

Do you have use a slow Cooker?
Good set of knives? Le Creuset pots?
stockpots?
Do you even have a bread maker?!

wendle

my tefal non-stick wok and my sabatier knifes are my fav things. oooh and my red and silver weighing scales.i dont have a bread maker or a slow cooker. i like cooking on my hob and using the oven.

wendle

oooooooooooooh @ red kettle! loving that tp. my kitchens red n silver, except my kettle. thats black. :lol:

wendle

:lol: forgot about my ace hand blender my mum gave me. love that too. it makes brill cauli "mash". its white tho. hmmmm. wonder if i can just paint everything red?

A

Anonymous

I have a Jamie Oliver frying pan that I use every day for bacon, eggs, pancakes etc.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
tree-peony said:
:D

all the best people have red kitchens :wink:

I think you mean all the best people have oak kitchens with a black sink and an american diner booth in them :lol: :D

tree-peony

I think our cats would LOVE an oak kitchen!!

I used to have a nice pine table... they whittled one leg to a shadow of it's former self!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there!

Definitely my ice-cream maker :clap: I use it at least twice a week and it makes the best sugar-free ice-cream ever! I buy sweetning syrups from Low-carb Megastore and use those. I could rave about my ice-cream maker all night - but as i have bored everyone I know about it, I'll shut up :lol:

p.s. I also have a red kitchen - and a red hand blender - which would be my favourite item if it wasn't for the ice-cream maker :lol:

Smidge

WhitbyJet

tree-peony said:
How about "least useful item"?

The waffle iron my OH gave me for last Xmas :((

But you can make lovely, low carb waffles for breakfast with it?!

My most favourite kitchen item is a close tie between my food processor or my sinfully expensive cookware.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a vegetable steamer with compartments so that I can multi steam. A bit over the top I hear you say but I also have a vegetable garden and it's nice to pick things and steam them fresh. Alternatively you can give them a quick steam and put them in the freezer for later.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ShyGirl said:
Hope this is in the right place!

I'm not expecting many replies but i'm sure if you low carb/reduc carbs/eat healthy you probably cook and prepare food more than average.
I know some posters even make their own low carb bread , something i'd like to try one day.

I have always cooked fresh food and always eaten healthily, why do you assume that diabetics do not?

As for gadgets I have just ordered a burger press which I'm looking forward to trying :D

tree-peony

WhitbyJet said:
tree-peony said:

My most favourite kitchen item is a close tie between my food processor or my sinfully expensive cookware.

Are they right texture WJ? Apart from my lovely almond muffins I really struggle with the texture of low carb stuff :(

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I love my George Foreman, just a small one as theres only me. Saves putting the oven on! My slow cooker get used a lot in winter for stews.

Can you please share you ice cream recipes as Ive just go my hands on a little ice cream maker. (I have a tiny kitchen) Everything has to go away for part of the year for somethin else to come out :lol:

WhitbyJet

tree-peony said:
WhitbyJet said:
tree-peony said:

Are they right texture WJ? Apart from my lovely almond muffins I really struggle with the texture of low carb stuff :(

tree-peony, try these:

Waffles just like grandma used to make

2 medium eggs
3 tbsp almond butter (or for a more intesnive flavour you could use tahini = sesame paste)
sweetener or salt

Mix everything together, make waffles as you normally would, these are delicious just spread with butter alone

calories 127kcal
fat 10,5g
carbs 0,5g (if you use tahini its slightly higher)
protein 7,7g
http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29 ... ie+bei+oma

Or with coconut:
2 eggs
100ml shredded coconut
100ml cream

mix everything together

Eat with you waffles with berries and cream, or berry coulis and greek yoghurt or savoury, eg 2 waffles with grated cheese cheese in the middle, it melts then add red onion, or creme fraiche with prawns, avocado, etc

or these

http://www.organicthrifty.com/2010/05/1 ... e-waffles/ you can omit the honey, use sweetener instead or salt if you want savoury waffles

Our favourties are grandma's waffles, but all 3 recipes give you nice cricpsy waffles, let me know how you get on.
You can make almond butter yourself, grind almonds until you have a paste.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I have 4 favourites :lol:

My kettle so I can make lots of lovely tea

My dads balloon whisk, which I accidently pinched off him :shh: :lol:

The vegetable peeler, but my daughter cut her finger on it yesterday, peeling carrotts

and small kitchen scales RRB