Your Thoughts On The Cause, Of Type 1 Diabetes

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, please take this with a pinch of salt, I am just opening a conversation about the possibilities of what might cause the disease, below is just what Ive thought while sat thinking about random things.

New thought. Could the Hypothalamus and extending to that, Pituitary gland; be responsible for triggering the bodies autoimmune response to the onset of Type 1 Diabetes. My theory is that your DNA contains an error which is passed down in your families genes and impacts the hypothalmic region of the brain at a level not understood by humans. This can lead to not only this autoimmune disease, but many others. The age in which type 1 diabetes is switched on, is embedded in your genetics, but perhaps environmental factors or infections do bring it on quicker somehow, just like how someone who smokes and has a genetic disposition to developing certain cancers will probably develop it quicker than someone who doesn't smoke and has the same disposition.

We know type 1 diabetes could possibly be caused by environmental factors or infection triggering an autoimmunity. This is just a thought towards something else going on.

The Hypothalamus controls the release of hormones in the body, with Insulin being a major hormone needed for survival, maybe somewhere there is a crosswire there which causes the onset of type 1 diabetes.

I am not science orientated at all, and only thought of this while sat bored thinking about it, are there any biologists on here who can have their input?

What do you think causes type 1 diabetes, I am sure no one knows 100% what causes Diabetes, and many autoimmune diseases.

Thanks for reading my ramblings guys
Dan

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was doing my plant biochemistry PhD when I was diagnosed with T1, at the age of 24 - following a very nasty dose of gastric flu. So while I’m not an immunologist, I have a good understanding of research. A recent hypothesis is that certain viruses “hide” in the beta cells of the pancreas, and the immune system kills them in an effort to annihilate the virus - collateral damage, basically. At the time (1998), my consultant said it was basically my immune system going into overdrive to beat the infection was almost certainly what had cause the T1, it came on very suddenly, within days of the flu itself. I’ve always felt that his explanation of my own diabetes onset made perfect sense, so it was interesting to see that come up. I don’t have any family history of T1, one aunt has it, but she’s one of ten, so it’s not statistically significant.

In a nutshell, I think there are probably several causes, some on their own, some in combination. It’s only n=1, but I’m fairly certain the gastric flu caused mine. My immune system has been quite twitchy ever since, throwing up strange allergies over the years, just to add to the fun. Bacon, for example :(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dan,

I've quite often given this some thought too..

One idea that came to me whilst low was, OK? it's an autoimmune condition. (or brought on by.)
what causes it?
For some reason, the plot of the 1989 Tim Burton Batman film comes to mind when the Joker put's separate elements of a deadly chemical that caused the joker's manic grin & sallow complexion in beauty products? When used together the victim died laughing..
But the Batman plot is a work of fiction & the chemical elements would need to be faithfully recreated in what is essentially a "lottery" with the fictional components being used to create the Joker's victims.

Regarding what caused my diabetes? I had a healthy 1970s "homegrown" diet as a child.. I was diagnosed in 76.
The nurse asked my mum (over my head.) had I undergone any trauma? The only thing my mum could think of at the time, (lol, she still believes this to this day.) was that I took a serious tumble down some stars as a toddler...

Though I can't say that in the last 46 years I've thrown up any autoimmune reaction to anything else..

Reactions: kitedoc

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to you both

MelDCP I believe there is certainly truth in scenarios like yours. I was told the same, about the immune system going into overdrive, It surely can't just be a coincidence. Linking back to my theory, maybe, somewhere deep in our genetic code, waits a trigger, ready to be activated, we clearly have the dominant trait for Type 1 Diabetes, since the hypothalamus controls hormones in the body, I just thought it must be linked somehow, maybe stresses caused due to trauma or infections etc lead to the body releasing stress on itself by turning on the autoimmune response in order to win the battle it is fighting, a body that doesnt need to waste energy producing a hormone as energy consuming as insulin is a more productive one, but the immune system can't possibly know how important insulin is, as its job is to fight infections etc.

I fell off my bike at 14 and the handlebar thrust into my stomach, right in the region my pancreas would be located roughly, months later I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic, maybe a coincidence?

Jaylee I know exactly which batman film you mean and plotline but ive never thought of that, interesting though to say the least, maybe we will never know what it is, but its nice to speculate I suppose, the trouble is, we cant evaluate each Diabetic, and narrow down any statistical similarities to create patterns

Last edited:

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's because we have sinned... we are sinners... we have thought immoral thoughts... we have taken the good lords name in vain.

Only joking.

No idea.

It would be great if it could be identified as that would seem to be an important step towards a cure.

My own diagnosis was in close proximity to a very stressful period of bereavement. I've heard others mention trauma so maybe there is something in it. Though lots of people go through trauma and don't get T1.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh haha around that time I used to finish school and finish off a pack of biscuits most days, theres my sin

Well whatever it is, we won't let it beat us eyy guys

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's because we have sinned... we are sinners... we have thought immoral thoughts... we have taken the good lords name in vain.

Only joking.

No idea.

It would be great if it could be identified as that would seem to be an important step towards a cure.

My own diagnosis was in close proximity to a very stressful period of bereavement. I've heard others mention trauma so maybe there is something in it. Though lots of people go through trauma and don't get T1.
I’ve actually been told by some church people that my diabetes was a punishment for some sin or other... I’d been quite good up until that point (vicar’s daughter), so made it my mission (see what I did there?) to make up for it ;) never looked back :D

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve actually been told by some church people that my diabetes was a punishment for some sin or other... I’d been quite good up until that point (vicar’s daughter), so made it my mission (see what I did there?) to make up for it ;) never looked back :D

Cool you should have replied

" Your right, and if your not careful and you sin, satan will get you too, he'll get all of you "

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee I know exactly which batman film you mean and plotline but ive never thought of that, interesting though to say the least, maybe we will never know what it is, but its nice to speculate I suppose, the trouble is, we cant evaluate each Diabetic, and narrow down any statistical similarities to create patterns

Thanks, film culture references don't always hit the mark.. & I did mention I was low when this idea hit me. My brain can work in overdrive when hypo..;)

Most folk or thier parents are not going to recount or recollect the "historical,details" leading up to a diagnosis.
Lol, most of us can't even remember what we did last summer.. (Another film reference.)

" Your right, and if your not careful and you sin, satan will get you too, he'll get all of you "

I was quite partial to rock & roll as a kid. & even ended up in a heavy metal band.. (Several.)

Maybe lack of disco was to blame? I should have been getting my excersise dancing under a glitter ball...? o_O

Though you wanna try getting into a "mosh pit." :cool:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks, film culture references don't always hit the mark.. & I did mention I was low when this idea hit me. My brain can work in overdrive when hypo..;)

Most folk or thier parents are not going to recount or recollect the "historical,details" leading up to a diagnosis.
Lol, most of us can't even remember what we did last summer.. (Another film reference.)

I was quite partial to rock & roll as a kid. & even ended up in a heavy metal band.. (Several.)

Maybe lack of disco was to blame? I should have been getting my excersise dancing under a glitter ball...? o_O

Though you wanna try getting into a "mosh pit." :cool:
I’m still a rail hugger at most gigs I go to...

I did :D (pretty much)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No idea!! No trauma or anything for my diagnosis either, or nothing that can be recollected from any relatives or me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My friend fell off her swing and the shock damaged her pancreas. We got told.

Stress and lack of sleep has caused my type2. Unless I'm the postman's? As 2 sisters ate same food and quantities.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m still a rail hugger at most gigs I go to...

"Moshing" or "slam dancing" from the outside looks brutal.. But I've been smashed down by larger guys, pulled up off the floor & man hugged for the attempt. There is a "etiquette." (Or,used to be.) Which feels exhilarating whether you loose yer footing or not. :)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend's twin brothers have it and so does her daughter. All diagnosed in childhood so for them I'd say a genetic link.

No history in my family when I was diagnosed at the age of 43. No obvious trauma or illness either.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My family has a lot of type 1 diabetics, and the running joke is, the doctor says type 1 diabetes runs in your family, and my sister who isn't diabetic says thats the probem, no one runs in our family although its nothing to do with type 1, it makes us laugh

Strange isnt it circuspony, we dont know who carries the recessive gene for it, I think its carried from somewhere myself

Wow Jaylee I am curious, from someone who doesn't associate with that crowd, it sounds crazy, brutal, but also interesting and probably something id find fun

MelDCP at least you get your mail on time haha

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most of the evidence for all autoimmune conditions, not just Type 1, is pointing towards intestinal permeability. This video by Dr Alessio Fasano explains it pretty well. The only thing missing for Type 1 is exactly what the trigger for that particular disease might be. However unless the gut allows outside pathogens into the circulation, the genes are unlikely to be triggered by the environment.