1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Your thoughts on the future of the forum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Administrator, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Administrator

Administrator Family member · Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Administrator

A few changes have occurred recently (a few new sub-forums) and we've replaced the user group (newbie, veteran, etc) with the type of diabetes (this was done so people can see who is commenting).

Updates

A forum update is planned for January next year, tackling:
    • Better experience for mobile/tablet users (2 out of 3 visitors uses a mobile/tablet)
    • More than just a like - ability to dislike, agree, disagree through buttons
    • Integration of diabetes type / user group together - so you can see who's posting (in terms of type) and their reputation/experience amongst the forum (currently, you can only see TYPE of diabetes now - you can still see Newbie/Veteran/Champion etc on a user's profile)
    Sub-forums

Also, which other sub-forums would people like to see. Discussions have included mention of:
    • MODY
    • Ladies Problems
    • Young People/Adults with T1 (some people don't fit into the Children & Teens section as they are in the 20's)
    Any others?

Rule change?

The forum rules currently state: ...members shouldn't give medication advice to people with a different type of diabetes from them. If any posts concern you, then please do report them

This was mainly to save new members being given information from someone who didn't have their diabetes type which didn't suit them; rather than actually preventing a person from joining in.

Could we collect some thoughts on what people think, what people would like, and how the forum rules should evolve to cater for a growing, diverse community? :)

2. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

I love the idea about showing what type of diabetes we have keep up the good work

• Like Like x 4
  3. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

An app for windows phones would be nice

• Like Like x 6
  4. Administrator

We are actively on the case there!

• Like Like x 4
  5. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@Administrator - When you say;

"....we've replaced the user group (newbie, veteran, etc) with the type of diabetes (this was done so people can see who is commenting)....."

Do you mean this is coming, or that is has occurred already? If so, where would I see that, as I still seem to be seeing the same as before. For example, looking at this thread, both @ally1 and @brett remain "Legends".

Of course, they'll always be legends in my eyes anyway. ;) :)

Of course, maybe I need to log out and back in again to see any new changes.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Nope, no change after logging out and back in again.

Thanks for asking for our input. It feels good to feel you want users feedback. It hasn't always felt that way.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Administrator

Ah, no, the user group is still there @AndBreathe (on the profile). The Type is under your username (so people can see who is talking to them). So like this:

[​IMG]

8. Administrator

It's taken a while to become this actively involved but there can only be positivity from it! With Giv being away it's thrown the rest of us in at the deep end. With everything going on, feedback is crucial. Very much enjoying the experience - there's so much to learn!

• Like Like x 2
  9. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

I'm pleased there may possibly be some change in the air. Good idea to see instantly near avatar what type of diabetes the poster has who may be offering advice. To be honest, a T2 insulin user on basal/bolus is just as well qualified to give insulin advice as a T1 basal/bolus ? Similarly those on metformin, statins etc, I can't see how type matters too much. The main thing would be the experience and knowledge of the individual rather than type.

• Like Like x 3
  10. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Hate the idea of dislike and disagree button. I would also prefer a thank you to a like button.

• Like Like x 11
  11. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Sorry, but I see no type under my name or anyone else's name. I still see Legend, Champion etc.

I have logged out and back again, and cleared cache.

• Like Like x 2
    #11 Bluetit1802, Dec 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  12. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

I dislike the buttons .. it causes splits , social dysfunction ..I don't like it ...

I don't like and neither do I give my permission to display my type details ..

It's like giving my medical notes out to the world ..
    There was a choice when I joined ..
    There's more to .. But later now ..

Feeling labelled .. Thought we were empowered individuals , hate labels .. A sticker on my cats forehead ..

13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

I still get Champion too...

14. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

@Administrator

Hello happy Christmas .. I see you have family under your name ..that's nice

I have a type under my name .. I have not given permission for this exposure ..I don't agree with it ..
    There was always a choice .. To put these details on show or choose not to .. I hate the word type .. Really dislike it ..

Just expressing my views ..

Send us a Christmas song now .. To cheer me up .. Kat
    I

15. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

You don't have champion on show lol X but you can of course be one if you want ..
    Happy Christmas @Brunneria

16. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Y
    you have type 2 X
    Happy Christmas to you bluetit

17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

Tried logging out, then back in.
    Still not getting the Type 2 under the name.

18. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Thought ..

How do you measure a persons experience , and or reputation ?
    That does not sound very nice .. People are valuable I refer to members on this site .

How on earth do you measure experience and reputation .. and does this apply to all .. I like working in partnership .. With equality for all ..

Pressing dislike button .. @Administrator

19. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

I can see it ..
    Under your Santa outfit :)

20. Enclave

Enclave Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Ok .. So before I signed in I could see the T2..T1 lable now I have signed in..it's back to champions, regular ... I don't like the T2 labels as the other day my heart nurse said I was not diabetic anymore ... So I guess I need a hasbeen label ... ;)

• Like Like x 7
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook