Your Thoughts on This Strange Story

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I was talking to my sister today and she reminded me of something she told me five years ago that I had completely forgotten. She had some routine bloods done and one was the A1C or whatever it is - the three month one. She was told she was borderline diabetic. About a month after this she had a follow up fasting test and was then told it was fine. Since that result she has assumed she isn't borderline any more. Her doctor has never mentioned it again. How can this be? Can we get false A1C test results? My sister has been eating anything and everything since and hasn't shown any signs of diabetes.

When I was told I was borderline, I wasn't offered a fasting test. I was just told I would have another blood test in a year. I am now wondering if it is 100% accurate and if I should be asking for a fasting test. I have been very poorly recently and quite stressed out, also quite low in mood. Can illness/stress have an effect on BG results?

I would appreciate your thoughts on all this. Thanks :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Yes I think stress etc can skew results but if it was the proper h test thingy, it should be more accurate as it looks at BG over a long period of time, unlike the fasting test which is just a morning window.

But I'm new to all this so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Does your sister test BG?

X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As said above, the Hba1c gives a much more reliable result since it gives an average blood sugar reading for the previous 1-3 months. A fasting test gives a reading which is how much sugar you have in your blood when the blood sample is taken.

Your blood sugar levels vary throughout the day and according to when you got up, what exercise you have taken and when your surgery appointment is you can get a reading which is of only limited use for diagnosis.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Squire is right.

Just because a person's fasting level looks ok, doesn't mean that they don't have severe blood glucose fluctuations after food.

I should have a word with your sister and get her to ask for an Hba1c test.

In addition, just because a fasting test looks ok, doesn't prove very much at all. My fasting tests vary hugely, depending on time of day, stress level and what I ate the night before, ranging from 5.5. (Normal) to 8.5 (definitely diabetic!).

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Hi Deb.
She's never thought any more about it really. Normal diet too. X

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Thats what I thought Brunneria and Squire. I even wonder if she got the story the wrong way round and had the fasting test first.