You've got another one

Gresleybear

Hi everyone, yet another recently diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic here. Still trying to come to terms with things, especially the losing all the weight I have worked so long to put on :wink:

I look forward to reading all the useful information here and interacting with you fine people.

sandymaynard

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
There is lots of useful info knocking around here! I am sure you will have lots of questions.
sandy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum, Gresleybear. Please ask us lots of questions so we can help if we can.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum, have a good look around :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Gresleybear and welcome.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gresleybear
Welcome to the forum, it is amazing how may people there are new here all the time, I'm sure you will find it encouraging.
Moogie

Vikingepigen

Hi Gresleybear and welcome to the forums!! I am a newbie myself and can scaresly believe how far I have come in 4 short weeks, not least thanks tothe advice and support of the MANY wonderful folk around here!!

Look up my first post here and you will no doubt recognise yourself and see my feelings reflected in your own.

Ask, ask, ask! There will always be someone willing to offer advice and support! You are not on your own in this, by any means.

You have no doubt been given some sort of advice - here you will find those who will recommend low/moderate carb count and those who does well on high carb, and all the others inbetween. Many will offer you their experience with what diet and/or exercise regime works for them, but at the end of the day there is only one person who will know what fits .......... YOU.

We are all here to help you in your journey, so never be affraid to ask.

Best
Alice

PS. I have done unexpectedly well on what I would call low carb diet (NOT Atkins) and never thought it would work for me, but it has.

Gresleybear

It is comforting to see how much support and community spirit there is here.

I am trying to put a positive spin on having diabetes. Weight and diet has always been an issue for me. I also had the warning signs being diagnosed with IGT sometime ago. Being the fool I am I chose to carry on without making any significant changes, and look where it got me. This really is a wake up call. I have developed the mindset now that this is an opportunity to lose weight and get fit again. My weight peaked at 21st 7lbs. I had started to lose some weight before being diagnosed through generally feeling unwell and loss of appetite. Since diagnosis (nearly 3 weeks) I have been strict with my food watching both fat and sugar content and now weigh about 20st 4lbs.

I am devouring the available information on the disease itself (this site is a great source) but find it is the diet side of things where my knowledge is limited.

I have been told by the doctor that I won't be able to control my diabetes by diet (after a blood test following diagnosis) and that I will be put on medication. I am not sure what I will be prescribed or how that will affect things.

Anyway thanks again for being so friendly guys :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Gresleybear said:
I am devouring the available information on the disease itself (this site is a great source) but find it is the diet side of things where my knowledge is limited.[unquote]

First of all take a look at the sections for low or reduced carbers, and also take a look at the section for those that dont use that type of Diet. You will have to sort out what type of Diet is right for YOU. A lot of the advice is conflicting - just ask if you need to know more.

I have been told by the doctor that I won't be able to control my diabetes by diet (after a blood test following diagnosis) and that I will be put on medication. I am not sure what I will be prescribed or how that will affect things.

That's not strictly true. Many people on here are well controlled by Diet alone. We don't know what sort of HbA1c level you have at the present. This would give us an indication to enable us to better advise you. It also helps if you know what your Bg levels are at various times of the day, fasting(waking) before meals, and 1 and 2 hrs aftre meals. the advice is better if we know these things.

As for medication, most people are usually started on Metformin after trying Diet only for 3 months.
It does depend again on the Bg numbers as to what will happen.

Ken.

Gresleybear

When I was initially told I had T2 the plan was the 3 month of trying to see if we can control it by diet only. The doctor phoned me last week after getting in the results of another blood test and told me we were moving to medication sooner.

I am not sure of my figures. I can see from reading around that I need to take an interest in what my blood sugar levels are.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi GB.

Try to get the figures if you can, then just let us know what they are. If you don't want to post them, give me a PM. Do you have a meter and strips ? You will need one. You may have some difficulty getting the strips prescribed though.

Ken.

Gresleybear

Ken,

I don't have a meter.

Funny, I am learning more here than from my doctor :?

On my next visit I will take my notepad and pen. I also need to find out about some issue I have with my liver. I have had abnormal liver function for a while but when the doctor told me about the diabetes she also told me my liver reading had become worse. I suppose I was a little overwhelmed by it all. I need to go fact finding to see what I have to deal with.

Gary

cugila

Master
Dislikes
That's OK.
we find this quite often on here. GP's are just that general practitioners. There are good ones, bad ones and some who just haven't a clue and follow a script ?

Meters are easily purchased from most Chemists. You usually get ten strips with them.
That's where the expense lies, meters are cheap, test strips are not.Try seeing if your GP will give you a meter and prescribe the strips ? There is also a company on here giving meters away, check the main site pages.

It's always a good idea to note things down, because it can be very confusing. Always ask your GP to explain if you are not sure. If you are still not sure we will get the answers for you.

Hope everything goes alright for you.

Ken.

Trinkwasser

Gresleybear said:
When I was initially told I had T2 the plan was the 3 month of trying to see if we can control it by diet only. The doctor phoned me last week after getting in the results of another blood test and told me we were moving to medication sooner.

This may not be a bad thing. Metformin is the usual starter drug of choice and works well to reduce insulin resistance. It works better alongside growing and using muscle. You can get to the same point quicker with it than without it (often in the States they are far more proactive and may use several meds initially, which are later reduced or eliminated).

It's more than likely you have NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) geese get fatty liver (pate de foie gras) through being stuffed with grain (HINT!) this can often be reversed through a significantly low carb diet and once this is done it will make control that much easier.

Start here

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

Gresleybear

A quick update.

I have visited thee doctors today. In the 4 weeks since I was diagnosed I have lost 5kg in weight.

I asked the doctor for confirmation of my blood tests. Apparently my BG reading that prompted the diagnosis was 12.9. My HbA1c was 8.6.

I have been prescribed Metformin which I will start taking tomorrow.

Unfortunately he won't give me a meter and strips so I think a visit to the chemist may be in order.

The liver issue is apparently just enzymes. I will be having another blood test for this in 6 weeks.

I hope everyone is doing ok. Thanks again for your support.

Gresleybear.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
yayyyy, that is a great improvement, im very pleased for you :D