"You've got to eat more"

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I am looking for some advice; I have been T1 for 27 years, started on a pump in November 2012. My diabetes is erratic, and my daily insulin requirements vary dramatically though this is not down to exercise or food :crazy:.

I have been improving my eating regime (won't say dieting :silent:) for just over 2 years and have experienced some weight loss. I have seen a dietician at the hospital and spoken to my DSN. My DSN believes that I am not eating enough calories to enable my body to lose weight. This is probably true because I find it difficult to eat as I very rarely feel hungry and as a recovering bulimic, food is a tough subject. I counted my calories yesterday and was concerned that I only managed to consume 876 calories despite eating 3 meals. I do eat quite a bit of fruit and veg, but tend to stay away from high calorie foods as I am trying to lose weight.

The following seem ridiculous to me:
1. Having to eat high calorie foods in order to lose weight;
2. Having to eat more in order to lose weight;
3. Having to eat when I don't feel hungry.

Does anyone have any advice to help me get more calories without too much trouble, should I exercise more (But then if I exercise more, I'll have to eat more)?

Please help, this is really getting me down . . . . . :cry:

Slesser1

Re: "You've got to eat more"

I'm sorry youre struggling. Could you try just adding one more food item to each meal? I know it's hard as theres so much you have to steer clear of, but say, if your having a quiche salad, have a slightly larger piece of quiche. This way, you wont feel as if youre eating more. Its worth a try x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: "You've got to eat more"

Do you eat breakfast, this is the most important meal to set your pattern for the day. I would stay away from bread, if you are trying to lose weight, but try to eat healthy carbs like whole wheat pasta. Lots of fruit and veg and try to add a little more to your plate. X

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find it VERY difficult to eat breakfast, but I am making an effort because if I don't my blood sugar rises quite quickly as my body enters starvation mode. :cry: I need to find something extremely high calorie, low fat and full of goodness. :problem: Any ideas?

Elc1112

I was told exactly the same thing by my DSN. The problem is, if I eat more I put on weight! I took her advice and upped my calorie intake. Gave it a few weeks but it certainly didn't help me to lose anything. Very frustrating. I don't eat badly at all but I find I put weight on so, so easily. Then I get fed up and just think 'to hell with it, pass the chips!'