YoYo BG levels after a meal

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused!

The majority of meals I eat my BG levels go up then come back down steadily but tonight has confused me a little :shock:

Dinner consisted of roast chicken (meat only no skin)
Green beans
Roast sweet pots
a little gravy

sugar free jelly with some blueberries

My BG before dinner was 8.3 (7.20pm)
8.20pm 8.0
8.55pm 9.2
9.20pm 8.3
9.55pm 9.0

so it seems to be yoyoing

any thoughts on why this happens? I know the sweet pots are carbs but they have only raised my levels by 0.9 at the most it just doesn't seem to want to go down!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Wouldn't worry its probably just the combination. Something like it went up first cos the fruit processed through faster than the pots. I notice a similar thing on my more carb intense meals but things are usually back to normal after 4 hours.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
xyzzy said:
Wouldn't worry its probably just the combination. Something like it went up first cos the fruit processed through faster than the pots. I notice a similar thing on my more carb intense meals but things are usually back to normal after 4 hours.

I hadn't thought of that!

I know my levels haven't dropped down to what they should be at the moment( my long term goal is 7.8 or less) but am I right in thinking that as long as I keep the post meal Level below a 2.2mmol rise from my pre meal level Thats good?

I hope that makes sense!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well actually if you're now getting those kind of readings say averaging out at around 8 across the day then you are doing very well considering where you were 25 days ago when I first answered some of your posts!

If I look back on my own spreadsheet I was still averaging at roughly 8 each day at that 25 day point as well and as I was doing brilliantly you must be as well! :clap: It takes a while for all the background rubbish to get out of your system. As your background drops it becomes a lot easier so rising by 2 from 5 keeps you safely under 7.8 whereas the same 2 rise from 7 takes you over safety etc. Also once you start hitting some lower numbers then you can feel a bit easier with trying different things out as well.

I would only really begin to worry if you stop seeing a general fall in your BG's above the level you want them to be. At that point you may need to readjust your carbs down a bit more or decide you want some stronger meds. Also remember other things effect BG's as well. My averages are up quite a lot this week because I'm feeling a bit under the weather and have had some stressy work stuff to do but I'm sure they'll soon be down again.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Helen I wouldnt worry about it as it could be any number of things from a duff reading to slow digestion again for any number of reasons. A rise of 1.2 mmol/L is nothing to worry about, in fact with such a low rise i am surprised your pre meal reading isnt lower :D

C

catherinecherub

Agree with Sid.
If your reading pre dinner had been 5.6 then the rise would have been a lot but yours hasn't risen that much. Might be worth considering as to what you ate to make the pre meal 8.3
Your management will take a while so don't be too downhearted.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Funnily enough my previous meal was virtually carb free!

I think its just a case of waiting for things to settle, I haven't dropped the carbs totally but just limiting them to smaller portions, we had a curry last night the first one for over a month, I didn't eat a nan bread which I would normally eat but had a couple of tbs of pilau rice, BG before meal was 7.8 & the highest it hit after was 8.4 which I was really chuffed with :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
helen louise said:
Funnily enough my previous meal was virtually carb free!

I think its just a case of waiting for things to settle, I haven't dropped the carbs totally but just limiting them to smaller portions, we had a curry last night the first one for over a month, I didn't eat a nan bread which I would normally eat but had a couple of tbs of pilau rice, BG before meal was 7.8 & the highest it hit after was 8.4 which I was really chuffed with :D

Yes another successful curry eater! Was it a takeaway or home made?

Good decision on the Nan bread. Have you ever looked up Nan breads vital stats? In an absolute killer both for carbs and especially calories.

... and yes I agree with you, your fasting level will gradually come down over the next few weeks. Sid's suggestion to concentrate on the rise's you get on each meal is a good one as it's probably the more important number to look at presently as it teaches you what is good and bad and gives you an idea on the quantity of things you can eat.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Takeaway!

I always used to have a peshwari nan with its lovely sweet paste inside & I dread to think what carbs are in that!

I had some Lamb tikka Rogan, veg curry side dish & new side dish I had never tried before which contained mushrooms, broad beans in a mildly spicy sauce, it was very nice!

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG! Shop bought peshwari nan is well over 60gms of carbs, now bearing in mind our takeaway spreads a nice thick layer of sweet almond paste inside methinks I will be leaving it well alone :roll:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
helen louise said:
Takeaway!

I always used to have a peshwari nan with its lovely sweet paste inside & I dread to think what carbs are in that!

I had some Lamb tikka Rogan, veg curry side dish & new side dish I had never tried before which contained mushrooms, broad beans in a mildly spicy sauce, it was very nice!

Sounds rather yummy :)

If the lack of rice means you end up feeling short changed try what I do which is to add a Tikka starter instead. Works out roughly the same price around here. Personally though I still can't count it as a true Indian takeaway unless I have some rice even if its just a smidgeon.

Cheryl

Remember that your meter will only give a rough reading. Test twice wihtin a minute & you cuold find a difference of 0.5% or even more. So a BG of 8,3 could easily be 8.8 and 9.2 could easily be 8.8.

I have tested as hypo (mid-high 3s) quite a few times but not felt it, so retested immediately & got a reading in the low 4s.

There's a lot of threads on this forum about getting different readings from different fingers at the same time & the answer is always the same - the meter only gives you a reasonably accurate reading, not a 100% accurate one.

I really wouldn't worry about a change of about 1% yo-yoing is when it goes up 5% in an hour and then back again :shock:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheryl said:
Remember that your meter will only give a rough reading. Test twice wihtin a minute & you cuold find a difference of 0.5% or even more. So a BG of 8,3 could easily be 8.8 and 9.2 could easily be 8.8.

I have tested as hypo (mid-high 3s) quite a few times but not felt it, so retested immediately & got a reading in the low 4s.

There's a lot of threads on this forum about getting different readings from different fingers at the same time & the answer is always the same - the meter only gives you a reasonably accurate reading, not a 100% accurate one.

I really wouldn't worry about a change of about 1% yo-yoing is when it goes up 5% in an hour and then back again :shock:

Cheryl I agree with everything you say except for when you say that a mid - high 3 is a hypo condition. The generally accepted view is a hypo state occurs with a rapid drop to under 2.8. I and others occasionally get low to mid 3's especially after exercising and never feel a thing and I've confirmed my readings by then doing additional readings straight away as they're quite interesting to see. As a Type 2 you are no different to a non diabetic in how you react to low bloods unless you are on insulin or some really powerful insulin stimulating drugs. Your body will automatically compensate via a glucose liver dump to raise your BG's when they get to low.