Yuk alert: Constipation

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone here on low carbs have problems with consptipation? I'm not on medication but I find sometimes following low carbs it can be difficult to avoid the dreaded ceasing up of the digestive system. I recently went 9 days without anything and found it was too - ahem - big to come out.

What do you find safe for blood sugars but good to keep yourself regular?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i get very constipated and use lactolose, it does have sugar in but its the best that helps me

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find warm drinks help me and also oily or greasy food for example I don't drain off all the fat from the mincemeat when making burgers or curries.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try a teaspoon of ground flaxseed sprinkled on some food each day. I have it everyday in someway. If I have berries its 2 teaspoons now. Or if sprinkled on food just a teaspoon sprinkling over salad or veg.

I had slow colonic transit and Gastro chap was going send me to the top chap in London, but stopping jelly babies as hypo stoppers and chia seeds has completely normalised my stomach.

I don't eat bread or rice or pasta and rarely potatoes.

With ground flaxseed you need to have it everyday and also only have a teaspoon initially building up to two teaspoons. I also have a teaspoon of chia seeds on my berries.

The flaxseed has completely resolved my awful stomach probs.

Reactions: 2 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
I have a teaspoon of cod liver oil a day,hope you manage to ease the problem.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Two psyllium husk capsules with half a litre of water works wonders.

caliban

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Speeding drivers, they put us all in danger. Guitar players with sqeaky fingers. All i can hear is the **** sqeaks and I turn off.
You need more fat if you are low carbing, around 80% if possible. Also water is a must especially if taking flax meal.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
If I have any problems I have a couple of dried prunes,does the trick/

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love that festive poo chart!

But do watch it with dates. They are terribly high in sugar...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
9 days is a LONNNNG time. That was a "oncer" I hope but I suspect that is not the first time, albeit reduced days. Is that right?

If it is, you should seek further advice. Daily visits are the norm, anything beyond that (if repeated) might require attention.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get your thyroid checked, constipation is very common with hypothyroidism.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
After 9 days of eating and your bowel not moving I would be asking the gp for a refferal to a gastroenteritis appointment. As this is going to be horrendous constipation.

Sorry for explicit details (sort of) following:

I had such bad constipation that 3 times I had to have ambulance crew out to me... I literally was in agony stuck to the toilet!! They gave me morphine immediately and got me in to hospital. Where I was treated but no actual request sent to my GP asking them to refer me.

After the 3rd horrible incident I asked the GP to refer me privately and we would pay to see someone. The GP agreed. I scouted all the private consultants around for their qualifications and interests. I chose one and got the ball rolling.

At the appt the gastro chap thought it might be IBS but because I've been diabetic so long he ordered the usual colonoscopys etc BUT also a shapes test.

All other tests came back normal except the shapes test. From there we had a discussion of whether anything had changed in my diet in the past year.... Yes... Increased jelly babies. I then read up from this forum people suggesting flax seed and googled it. I also chose maomi pinballs as my hypo stoppeds instead of jelly babies.

The non jelly babies and the flaxseed have completely reversed my problems.

I still keep in touch with this consultant by email to confirm that the non gelatine/jelly baby and flaxseed are still keeping my stomach good.

My consultant did say he was seeing a huge increase in diabetics being referred, so you aren't the only person with these problems. I certainly was.

It is worthwhile discussing with your GP and asking to be referred if this is an ongoing problem.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I got anywhere neat 9 days... 3, maybe 4... and they tended to on the massive side.... care was needed... over the fist 6 months following diagnosis I lost a bunch of weight and did worry about when it was going plateau out... did about two months ago and I've added small amounts of brown rice back into diet. I drink water like a fish and added 10 g of milled flaxseed to my morning yogurt and nuts... prunes I love but sadly they did not soften me up... recently added pomegranates (35g) to my morning mix... and things are definitely looking up.... 2 small dumps today!! just keeping an eye on weight as I seem to be peckish most of time and never approach full after my evening meal... in fact I could eat it all over again... if I could...