Zumba...

Kerry-Michelle

Hi guys...

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions regarding "Zumba"

I'm looking to join a class to loose some weight..

Firstly I was wondering how much these classes cost?

Secondly I was wondering how good you guys think these classes are..

Thirdly I know you can't expect to see results instantly but how long have you been doing these classes and how it helps you e.c.t

I am type 1 and have been only for a year and 3 months.. I'm on metformin sr 2000mg a day, I am also on insurance basal 8units a night and novo rapid 3-5 units each meal time depending on how many carbs I have.. I am still awaiting to go on the Dafne course to help me understand more about the diet I should be sticking too but my DN and dietician says I'm okay how I'm doing at the moment but I've told her I'd like to low carb "properly" as I feel at the moment I'm not as strict as others are with their diets..

Sorry to go on...

(P.s I would like to loose around 5st to be back where I was before I was diabetic..)

Many thanks :)

Kerry xx

Netty70

Hi Kerry

Zumba is a great choice as it is like your on a night out
I go 5 times a week and look forward to every class been going over 12 months now and it definitely helped me
Not sure if you will be the same but I sweat like you wouldn't believe you could wring me out lol
Classes I think range from £4.00 upwards but I joined my local life leisure costs £18.99 a month and you can go to as many classes as you want
You do the maths
Good luck let me know how you get on :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Kerry-Michelle

Brilliant!! Thank you Netty70!

I will sign up! I sweat bucket loads too I'm a singer in a band and gig almost every Friday and Saturday night in pubs and clubs and I'm always jumping around and dancing around to the music we are playing.. The boys in the band (I'm the only girl) say I'm crazy but the audiences love it! So yeah when I come off stage after two hours I'm a soaked I have to change clothes straight away or if I get too bad I change in the break when we have 15mins..

I also sweat like crazy while doing the housework I'm one to rush and get it done as I feel sweating is doing me good..

But anyway sorry to go on.. /:

I will look into signing up I'm looking to start with one night a week as I am attending the gym too..

Thank you again! :)

Kerry xxx

Netty70

Kerry-Michelle said:
Brilliant!! Thank you Netty70!

I will sign up! I sweat bucket loads too I'm a singer in a band and gig almost every Friday and Saturday night in pubs and clubs and I'm always jumping around and dancing around to the music we are playing.. The boys in the band (I'm the only girl) say I'm crazy but the audiences love it! So yeah when I come off stage after two hours I'm a soaked I have to change clothes straight away or if I get too bad I change in the break when we have 15mins..

I also sweat like crazy while doing the housework I'm one to rush and get it done as I feel sweating is doing me good..

But anyway sorry to go on.. /:

I will look into signing up I'm looking to start with one night a week as I am attending the gym too..

Thank you again! :)

Kerry xxx

Let us know how you get on Hun
Reading about being in a band am sure you will love it well as long as you get a good instructor
Fingers crossed :)

Phoebe13

Just a quick note - I love Zumba classes too but they really hit my BG levels hard, so I always take some glucose tablets in with me, even if I eat beforehand, and have a snack in your bag for afterwards as well, just in case!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Zumba is a fun way of getting fit, but Idoubt you'd lose much weight. Most of what I read says that exercise alone doesn't help much with weight loss. It helps when combined with diet..
I've tried Zumba, but with my muscle response being a bit slow since my stroke 10 years ago, i wawsn't much good at it. Still fun though! I wouldn't recommend a class into which you don't fit by virtue of age.[I don't know yours] I'm a grandmother and the gym group I belong to is mainly older people. I couldn't keep up with the youngsters!
I would recommend anyone to try exercise in a sociable group. It's good for mental and psychological fitness as well as physical
Hana
Ps a low carb diet with reduced food portions works pretty well for diabetes; blood sugar control as well as weight

Kerry-Michelle

Thanks Pheobe13 and Hanadr..

I always take glucose tablets with me and a snack bar just incase when I go to exercise..

I eat small portions at meal times, I have snacks throughout the day of beg or fruit sticks but not too many because of the sugars in the ect,

My dietician has said my diet is fine but I have gone to her numerous times to try and sort my diet.. But she just says to stick at the diet I'm on.. I can't win with her sometimes.... *bangheadagainstwall*

Many thanks again :)

P.s Hanadr I'm 21 and normally go to the gym on my own or with my boyfriend so this Zumba class will be an opportunity to mingle with others while trimming up and helping me exercise..

Kerry xxx

Netty70

Phoebe13 said:
Just a quick note - I love Zumba classes too but they really hit my BG levels hard, so I always take some glucose tablets in with me, even if I eat beforehand, and have a snack in your bag for afterwards as well, just in case!

Same here phoebe last Sunday I was 10.8 before Zumba and 4.3 after
I always have a snack and take glucose just in case :)

Kerry-Michelle

Okay guys I am off to my first Zumba class in half an hour.. Sort of nervous as I'm not sure what to expect and I always do get a little in confident in myself before I do new thing believe it or not /:

So any way as promised I will let you know how it goes my levels are at 10.3 which is good for me I've got my snack and my emergency glucose sweets :)

Kerry xx

Netty70

Your well prepared Hun
Hope you love it I'm hooked 5 times a week lol
Make sure you drink plenty of water especially if you sweat anything like me lol
Look forward to hearing how it goes
Good luck :)

Kerry-Michelle

Just got back from Zumba!!! Absolutely loved it! I took two big bottles of water an went through them by the time I finished..

I'm concerned about my levels.. They are higher than I expected.. They're at 18.2!! I'm so shocked! Is this normal? I expected them to go down..

Sorry if I sound so drastic.. Just really worried...

I am definitely going again.. Hopefully I'll be going on Friday as that is a more intense class which I feel is right for me.. But I'm you going to do them both every week :)

Thanks Netty70 for the support! And everyone else too :D

Much love!

Kerry xxx

Netty70

Hey Kerry
Glad you enjoyed it, it's like a party isn't it lol
Glad to hear you drank plenty not sure about your levels as I drop a lot after exercise
Hopefully someone else will have the answer :)

Kerry-Michelle

Thanks Netty70! :D I absolutely loved it.. All thought I felt like I wanted more movement and harder exercises lol..

I'm going to check my levels in a little while as I did them after I got home and had a shower..

I hope that it is just because I started a new exercise regime and my body wasn't used to it.. When I started doing gigs I have readings a little over 10 and after my first set I check them during the break and they go down to 5 so I have a snack to prepare me for the next set.. Then I check them after I've finished my gig and they're around 5 again so I'll have a small something to eat when I get home as by the time I've showered and ready for bed I'm in the 4's..

But this happens every Friday and Saturday night when I gig so I'm used to that now.. :)

Kerry xxx

Kerry-Michelle

I am already obsessed where I live there is only two classes a week I want more! Ahahaha I asked the instructor if there is going to be more classes an she said that if I wanted to do more classes I should travel to the next area.. Which will be difficult for me as with work I won't have time to be at the class :(

I'll have to live with it I guess lol..

:)

Kerry xx

Netty70

Your doing more exercise than most Hun
I'm lucky I live in a town so spoilt for choice get my money worth too
The gym I go too is £18.99 a month and I can go to as many classes as I want bonus
Thinking of trying body combat after my jollys no pain no gain :):):)

Kerry-Michelle

Netty70 said:
The gym I go too is £18.99 a month and I can go to as many classes as I want bonus

This makes me jealous ahaha... Wish I was spoilt for choice like you.. I think there might be nothing left of me if I did 5 days a week of zumba as well as working 5 days a week with children then gigging with my band at weekend.. I'd be one tired lady lol

Kerry xx

Netty70

Kerry-Michelle said:
Netty70 said:

This makes me jealous ahaha... Wish I was spoilt for choice like you.. I think there might be nothing left of me if I did 5 days a week of zumba as well as working 5 days a week with children then gigging with my band at weekend.. I'd be one tired lady lol

Kerry xx

Haha well if you got little ones they keep you fit enough
For me after a hard day at work the Zumba keeps me sane
Plus my husband works nights so its all good and my girl is 21 so feels like she looks after me sometimes lol
Hope you have a great day :):):)

Kerry-Michelle

Awwhh they're not my own little ones lol I'm a nursery assistant so I look after other people's children ahaha.. Awh that's nice something to keep you busy.. I'm thinking of going to the gym to do more exercise.. I'm the same age as your daughter too lol :) hope she looks after you well :)

Kerry xx