1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Viewing blog entries in category: Restricted eating

• Metabolism_Boss
    Since I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2015, I have been trying to stay on a low carb diet. I was warned by my diabetes nurse that as I was not overweight, dieting would not improve my situation as much as it would for someone who was very overweight. I understood what she meant, but I knew that I had a hard pad of fat on the front of my ribs. Much as I tried to convince myself that it was a six pack that was just rather ill-defined I knew exactly what it was. Inspired by Dr Bernstein's books, I did very well for the first year. Then stress took its toll, with family illness and problems at work and my discipline broke down. I knew very well I was eating the wrong things but I simply could not stop myself even though I knew what I was risking. I have struggled to analyse this to try to avoid doing it again, but I was just wilfully eating badly - not so much meals but snacking, which was usually at night. I would wake the next morning and berate myself for my stupidity. I think one of the worst things about this disease is that you don't become IMMEDIATELY ill after doing the wrong things, if high blood sugar made us feel bad, it would help keep us on the straight and narrow.

As my stress has reduced so my eating discipline has recovered, but I know that snacking is my Achilles heel. For that reason I want to try five hour restricted eating. This involves having an "eating window" of five hours and then not eating again for nineteen hours ( I don't mean I'll be eating continuously in that time - I wish!- but I can eat one or two meals within that time frame). I am a creature of habit, and what I am hoping is that I will get used to eating this way and be able to stay with it even when I am stressed. My intention is to make entries on this blog as to how I am getting on and document what happens with my BG, weight and how I feel.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook