Indian Takeaway, Okay for Low Carb/Hi Fat?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Would an Indian takeaway be alright if you didn't have rice or naan bread, but instead cooked some spiralized courgetti? For instance I'm thinking of Butter Chicken, or Chicken Tikka Passanda, (both with fresh cream, almonds & coconut) or Balti Chicken Makhani (mild yoghurt sauce)?

Some of their dishes have fruit in it, but I haven't tested for pineapples, lychees, or mangos yet, so I'm not looking at those, just the ones mentioned above.

I could just order it, test, and then test again afterwards... but is there anything I should know first?

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

There's a whole thread on Indian food, if you do a search for 'Indian' you'll find it.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There's a whole thread on Indian food, if you do a search for 'Indian' you'll find it.
Tried that, could only find a thread for "Fast Food", with mention of a couple of Indian things.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My bs went nuts with Indian and I only had a little of various low carb dishes. Keep in. Ind lots of the gravies and sauces are thickened with various flours/ starches and bad oils are used. Wasn't worth it for me. If I loved Indian I would try to make my own. I have seen lots of people making their own curry dishes on this forum. It always scares me not knowing what I am eating even though it looks clean. Failed too many times. I stay in my own kitchen now most often and on the occasion I do eat out I just order a salad with protein. Safest option for mr

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Either make your own or as Kristin suggests, meat and salad, though a little bit of a smear of curry should be ok. Gotta have the onion bahjees!

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've been a bad girl! Got another hour until testing time though.....
It was lovely though - even if it turns out it's the last one ever.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I would forget the passanda, it's very sweet.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
shaslick or a tandoori mix works for rme -- all dry so no sweetened sauces

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only Indian food I can eat is Tandoori Chicken with salad (no rice, bread, etc) - anything else sends my BS skyrocketing. I'd say "try it and see", but be prepared to be disappointed!
I would also say something like a madras or a rogan josh would probably be better than the ones you listed as they're all very sweet

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Had Indian during the week. Madras curry with saag paneer (Indian cheese with spinach), no rice. Lovely and no spike.

Anything with coconut, such as Korma or Passanda are not good news, they tend to use sweetened coconut and are packed with sugar.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup. Dry chicken tandoori with no sauce and a salad. So not worth it when my own kitchen has much tastierv bs friendly foods

P

paula.nolan42

For me personally, knowing what the right choices are is the key to this. When I'm at home I can cook the best options and be very controlled. But if I'm at a restaurant with friends or family, I want to be able to make the best choices given the options before me. When it comes to Indian, I chose dry meat, no sauce, no naan, no rice but with veg sides.

But the reality is food options have to change and potion size also needs to change, and that has a big affect on eating out or take-aways.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't imagine eating an Indian takeaway right now - despite the fact is was our regular Friday night staple (especially through winter months) until recently. So many unknowns, eating out is a challenge right now - ordering takeaway would be even harder I say, no idea what is in it sadly. Can't imagine how many carbs I was eating Look forward to hearing your results @FranOnTheEdge

PS I'm not really sad about missing Indian, reality is on LCHF I've discovered new flavoursome foods and don't actually miss it

Reactions: 4 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found I'm ok on most Indian - dry curries, salad and even a chapati. One of our locals does amazing dry lamb chops which are delicious. Wouldn't do it often, but once every 6-8 weeks I let myself off the hook, have a takeaway or a meal out and don't give myself a hard time about it.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The trouble with Indian is that the ones everyone has stated as okay are dishes I would not want to eat as they are too hot for me - I only like the mild ones, like those I mentioned.

And as people have warned - it is one I will have to remove from my diet. I did go up a fair bit - not as high as I have been and I think I might get away with eating maybe half the Passanda dish - as they are quite generous. But I needed to know, and I don't regret eating it - it's the first time I've felt full since December, but I know I can't go on eating that...

I'll just have to research finding a decent recipe for a Chicken Passanda. Then I could make lots and freeze lots - I'd like that, especially as I've just got a delivery of freezer/microwave dishes just like the Spice of India uses, and I've eaten all my freezer stash... gotta make something, might as well be this.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble with Indian is that the ones everyone has stated as okay are dishes I would not want to eat as they are too hot for me - I only like the mild ones, like those I mentioned.

And as people have warned - it is one I will have to remove from my diet. I did go up a fair bit - not as high as I have been and I think I might get away with eating maybe half the Passanda dish - as they are quite generous. But I needed to know, and I don't regret eating it - it's the first time I've felt full since December, but I know I can't go on eating that...

I'll just have to research finding a decent recipe for a Chicken Passanda. Then I could make lots and freeze lots - I'd like that, especially as I've just got a delivery of freezer/microwave dishes just like the Spice of India uses, and I've eaten all my freezer stash... gotta make something, might as well be this.

Looking at this recipe, and I have no idea how close that was to what you ate, I wouldn't be concerned about anything in it: http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-184047.html I'm guessing much could depend on either or both how much of it you ate, and what you ate it with. I am usually absolutely fine on Indian food, but I rarely have any rice at all. I just have the deliciousness of the curry dish. I tend to have it in a shallow bowl, so finishing up with a spoon for all the delicious sauce is easy. I don't miss the rice, but if like last night, I fancy a bit of rice, I just have a couple of spoonfuls, and these days I'm fine. Please note my bloods in my signature. I'm not trying to show off, but to point out I'm in a different place in terms of both experience and "time served".

This site also often does a digest of her "best" recipes from other low carb sites, so you may find signing up for her newsletters worthwhile. Enjoy !

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2015/04/25-best-low-carb-andor-paleo-indian-recipes.html

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi @FranOnTheEdge , I too enjoy a nice spicy Indian curry and have cooked many from scratch. For a really simple and tasty curry I can heartily recommend Jamie Oliver's homemade curry pastes www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/easy-homemade-curry-pastes. You can use them with any meats or veg of your choice and are delicious with cauliflower rice with a knob of butter and fresh chopped coriander. Scrummy!!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I sometimes have curry on shredded lettuce instead if rice. Fortunately, our local curry house published a recipe book so we can recreate their dishes and tweak them for lower carbs.