Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about THIS then?

Wouldja?
Couldja?
SHOULDJA?

I'm thinking of giving it a go next week - what do you reckon?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating a " bacon and egg" diet this week . it certainly dramatically improves my blood sugars when I stick to this menu:

1 rasher bacon
1 egg
5 cherry tomatoes
30g mushrooms
50 g fresh spinach
salt and pepper

all cooked in 15 g of butter with the butter eaten .

to drink a coffee bullet
coffee, 5g butter. 5 g coconut oil and 20 g double cream ,

This meal provides 1/3 of my daily nutrient requirements , tastes wonderful, and causes both weight loss and low blood sugars . (I'm a type 2 controlled by diet only and yesterday my bs was between 3.4 and 4.9 for the entire evening after this meal plus a walk) .

so if you like bacon - go for it, but there is no need to be so limited to just the bacon, chuck in an egg as well !

The Great British Breakfast truly is Great and may well be why we ended up with an empire compared to our carb loaded neighbours !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wouldja?...............................NO

Couldja?................................No

Shouldja?...............................Personal choice

I think I'd be quite sick (and very constipated) eating just bacon for 30 days :yuck:

Reactions: azure

Jo123

Would you No
Could you yes
Should you no, processed meat not good for you, high quantities increased cancer risk.

Just my opinion, conclusions I have made from reading current research.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that @bulkbiker has already tried this for a while, and loved it.

Personally, I don't think high quality bacon is bad for us. I'm talking about the stuff that is treated with salt and spices, rather than the chemical soup that is used on cheap bacon.

Last year I cured my own bacon, knowing exactly what went into it, and was delighted with the result.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd never heard of this, but have now googled and found it.

I often have bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and a 1g carb sausage for my main meal or for lunch, with half a Lidl roll toasted and have amazing results afterwards. Prior to diagnosis and low carb I always felt guilty because of the fat content and the "heart attack on a plate" scenario. Now I have it without guilt and enjoy it far more.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tried a fat fast for 4 days. No matter how good it tastes you get sick of it quickly when its all you eat. Other than that it won't hurt you to try it.

Reactions: Prem51

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
How about a gammon steak instead of bacon - chuck it on the griddle. That was my dinner last night - together with scrambled eggs and a side chaser of greek yoghurt with cinnamon.

Reactions: Prem51

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I really enjoy bacon but I don't think I could manage 30 rashers a day for a whole month. I think it would be like aversion therapy if I had to eat it all day every day and I'd end up hating it.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely the excess protein would turn to glucose and prevent weight loss?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I couldn't afford it.
Two pounds of bacon a day on the diet.

'I made sure it was the highest quality stuff I could find. It was pasture raised, antibiotic free, non-GMO and steroid free. It was also $11 – $12 per pound'
http://ketogasm.com/the-bacon-experiment-interview/

Even the author acknowledges the problems with processed food.

Last edited:

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I'd never heard of this, but have now googled and found it.

I often have bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and a 1g carb sausage for my main meal or for lunch, with half a Lidl roll toasted and have amazing results afterwards. Prior to diagnosis and low carb I always felt guilty because of the fat content and the "heart attack on a plate" scenario. Now I have it without guilt and enjoy it far more.

I have this every Saturday and Sunday and when i'm on holiday. I have double egg and double sausage then a light (fish) evening meal. This is my favourite meal by a country mile even though I eat crackslaw, curries, stews and all the low carb delights you can think of.

Edit..I sling the egg on the lidl roll as my plates are not big enough :) gotta love a full English

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
No no and no
I could quite happily eat bacon for every meal but I dont due to the recent findings regarding the way its cured. To be honest I Dont think I could go to the bother of trying to cure it myself I wouldnt have a clue, however would organic bacon be cured without all the **** they usually cure bacon with

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reactions: dbr10 and Chook

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what is this diet supposed to do that a more varied keto/VLCHF diet can't/won't????

While I definitely enjoy both my bacon and a proper English breakfast, I wouldn't want to eat this, or bacon on its own, all day every day: I much prefer a more varied diet. So 3 big NOs from me too.

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Err no
I couldn't afford it.
Two pounds of bacon a day on the diet.

'I made sure it was the highest quality stuff I could find. It was pasture raised, antibiotic free, non-GMO and steroid free. It was also $11 – $12 per pound'
http://ketogasm.com/the-bacon-experiment-interview/

Even the author acknowledges the problems with processed food.

err not really he goes on to say he now buys "whatever is on sale" ... he really doesn't say anything about the "problems" with processed food.. don't misrepresent please..

Yes I tried this for a week and lost weight and had good sugar levels. Doing more research I will probably try beef for my next zero carb experiment ..most likely for the month of Feb when I get back from hols and after a 7 day fast. Have been mainly zero carb while away as our hotel does a great breakfast with eggs bacon and a huge selection of cold meats and cheese. Then eating evening meal of something from the grill steaks or other meats. Weigh in when I get home next Monday to see how having breakfast has impacted. Usually don't...will let you all know.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Err no

err not really he goes on to say he now buys "whatever is on sale" ... he really doesn't say anything about the "problems" with processed food.. don't misrepresent please..

Yes I tried this for a week and lost weight and had good sugar levels. Doing more research I will probably try beef for my next zero carb experiment ..most likely for the month of Feb when I get back from hols and after a 7 day fast. Have been mainly zero carb while away as our hotel does a great breakfast with eggs bacon and a huge selection of cold meats and cheese. Then eating evening meal of something from the grill steaks or other meats. Weigh in when I get home next Monday to see how having breakfast has impacted. Usually don't...will let you all know.

I have added the link to the page, and quoted exactly what he said.
He only ate ' the highest quality stuff I could find. It was pasture raised, antibiotic free, non-GMO and steroid free. '

So definitely not the processed cheap supermarket rubbish for a month.
And please do not try to confuse people by quoting what he eats now, when he is no longer living exclusively off bacon. Even he cannot afford the high quality stuff.

'Instead of having to get a loan to buy bacon, I now try to get thick cut bacon of whatever brand is on sale.'

Oddly enough, I agree with his favourite meal though.

'For health and longevity, I would say grilled or fried wild caught salmon with a bit of apple cider vinegar, himalayan salt and organic turmeric to absorb as much of the omega 3’s and DHA possible.'

Reactions: Angelofthemarches