What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
good morning all :)

4.4 today

I met a woman I used to work with yesterday, I haven't seen her much recently and she hugged me and said, 'Wow - you're so tiny' (I'm really not, just a good bit less tubby than I was), then she said 'you need to get some clothes that fit, you look like you're tied up in a bag' :arghh::D

I've got loads of nice stuff that fits but also a habit of just flinging on something I know is comfortable without checking the mirror. Time for another wardrobe sort out obviously ;)
Hi gleefull,
Is it a woman thing I find I cannot believe I'm down nearly 4 dress sizes so I still try on the larger sizes,and put off buying new things until I've reached my goal,trousers are baggy though I did give in and replaced a couple but they are now too big,jumpers too big they are last years wear them around house has I'm always cold. We are going away in February so I will have to get something to wear soon. But finding the last few pounds hard to shift. It's great to have lost the weight just need to tell the brain I need smaller sizes!!K

Reactions: Ymdawd

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. The weather is brilliant this morning, blue skies and sunny, but expected to be cold. Blood sugars were 4.9 today.

@geefull and @Granny_grump_, congratulations on your weight loss. Shopping for new clothes can be fun, hope you enjoy it.

@pavlosn -- Great that you are feeling a bit better. Your garden is simply beautiful.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Good morning everyone. The weather is brilliant this morning, blue skies and sunny, but expected to be cold. Blood sugars were 4.9 today.

@geefull and @Granny_grump_, congratulations on your weight loss. Shopping for new clothes can be fun, hope you enjoy it.

@pavlosn -- Great that you are feeling a bit better. Your garden is simply beautiful.
Hi ziggy_w
Thank you will get round to doing some shopping soon will have to!
Great BG reading, and you are Lucky with the weather just been showering here.K

Reactions: ziggy_w

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jealous, jealous I'm so jealous. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. PS you can never have too much alcohol or too much food :)
I don't actually eat much when I'm here. I don't feel hungry in a hot climate, and usually just have a bowl of ramen soup (pork & noodles) in the evening. I lost 9 lbs last time I was here for 4 weeks and my fbgs got down to the 4s, so I'm hoping to repeat that.

As for alcohol, unfortunately I do get carried away and drink too much for the first few days, but slow down after the hangovers remind me I can't drink as much as I used to when I was younger. Usually after the soup I go to a bar that plays reasonable live music and have 3-4 glasses of red wine, and in bed by 12.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hi Everyone
This morning my blood sugar was 6.1, ate porridge and half a banana, by 12.00 felt very shaky and tested at 4.4. Should I have eaten a snack at 11.00. Only been doing ironing and packing parcels this morning. the same thing happened on Wed when i had driven for the first time since getting diagnosed. Any suggestions please
Are you taking medication especially, Gliclazide rosajean? I used to get low results and the shakes even shortly after a meal until my dose was reduced. 6.1 is in range and personally porridge and banana would spike my sugars. Possibly a sudden drop after a spike?? Maybe best to check with your GP / Diabetic nurse? Hope things settle down for you soon.

Last edited:

rosajean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you taking medication especially, Gliclazide rosajean? I used to get low results and the shakes even shortly after a meal until my dose was reduced. 6.1 is in range and personally porridge and banana would spike my sugars. Possibly a sudden drop after a spike?? Maybe best to check with your GP / Diabetic nurse? Hope things settle down for you soon.
Yes taking 40mg Glicazide twice daily, and Metaformin 500 twice daily , only 3 weeks since diagnosis, so still trying to get things settled down. Thanks

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Yes taking 40mg Glicazide twice daily, and Metaformin 500 twice daily , only 3 weeks since diagnosis, so still trying to get things settled down. Thanks
Hi, rosajean. Most of us on the forum are not medical experts and can only share our experiences in the hope of helping others. Gliclazide can cause hypos. Your score of 4.4 was not technically a hypo but you can still feel the shakes etc at that level. I am also taking Metformin and Gliclazide. My dose of Gliclazide was increased a while ago as my HbA1c had gone up but I was also cutting down my carbs and increasing my exercise so I started having hypos. I rang my GP's surgery and they reduced my dose. I have been fine since. That's why I suggested contacting your medical team. Early days for you. I'm sure you will be fine. Best wishes.:)

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2

One of the effects of gliclazide unlike metformin is that it can push the blood sugar so low it pushes you into hypo territory ie below 4.00mmol/l. I found this out the hard way. Its a long story but my DN screwed up and started me on a very high inititial starting dose. Driving along feeling decidedly strange is not funny. My BG when I arrived home was about 3.2 sure taught me to be very way about gliclazide.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One of the effects of gliclazide unlike metformin is that it can push the blood sugar so low it pushes you into hypo territory ie below 4.00mmol/l. I found this out the hard way. Its a long story but my DN screwed up and started me on a very high inititial starting dose. Driving along feeling decidedly strange is not funny. My BG when I arrived home was about 3.2 sure taught me to be very way about gliclazide.

Wary about gliclazide