Just got a monitor and tested for first time

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got myself a Gluco RX Nexus monitor and set it all up, I tested myself which was 2 hours after eating my breakfast and it was 9.5 is that ok or is it a bit high, I’m just a little concerned not having done this before.

Reactions: sunboy1979

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask how easy it was to set up and use?

I was going to buy one but my team told me not to as they would supply one today, and that my GP would prescribe the strips. Most of what I've read on site though indicates the NHS aren't keen on funding these meters, so I best be prepared.

Reactions: passionforpink
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctors surgery gave me mine for free, it’s really quite simple to set up. I am really pleased with it.

Reactions: UserABC2021

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I just got myself a Gluco RX Nexus monitor and set it all up, I tested myself which was 2 hours after eating my breakfast and it was 9.5 is that ok or is it a bit high, I’m just a little concerned not having done this before.

No it's not perfect .... but what was your start point before the first bite?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@passionforpink

Treat that as a practice. At the beginning it is wiser to forget the actual levels and concentrate on the amount of rise from before eating to the 2 hour mark (2 hours after first bite) and using a detailed food diary.
Test immediately before eating
Test again after 2 hours
Look at the amount of rise from before to after
If it is more than 2mmol/l (preferably less) there were too many carbs for your body to cope with in that meal
Record the results next to the food in the diary
Repeat the meal a couple of times
Watch out for patterns. You can tweak the meal by either reducing the portion size of the carbs or eliminating some
It is trial and error.
Also note down in the diary what you did in that 2 hours (exercise, rushing about etc)

Once you are keeping those rises down you should notice all the before eating levels reducing, and of course the lower you start, the lower you finish!

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck, let me know how you get on

Just got back from the hospital. The staff were very professional and answered all my queries, and now I've been equipped with my monitor and all the other stuff.

I was told to go back to my GP as I have to have statins, managed to get in tonight so off to there now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got back from the hospital. The staff were very professional and answered all my queries, and now I've been equipped with my monitor and all the other stuff.

I was told to go back to my GP as I have to have statins, managed to get in tonight so off to there now.

You don't "have to have" statins. The choice is yours. All doctors can do is offer them.
Can you tell us why the hospital staff said that?

Well done on getting the meter and strips. As you drive for a living and take Gliclazide you need to test regularly, and if your GP tells you it is necessary to inform the DVLA then you need to do that. Gliclazide is a type of drug that can cause low blood sugars, so you need to be aware of this.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’m so glad you got on ok, that sounds brilliant. Hope you get on ok with the GP

Reactions: UserABC2021

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9,5 two hours after meal is bad. Should be max 5,6. But you just started! Start with bluetit1802 plan.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
9,5 two hours after meal is bad. Should be max 5,6. But you just started! Start with bluetit1802 plan.
We all set our own goals, but the NICE recommendation for a T2 diabetic, which you can find here, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html is 8.5mmol/L at "at least 90 minutes".
That is higher than we aim for. Our maximum has always been 6 at two hours and 7 at one hour, that is our goals are non-diabetic, despite a diagnosis!
Sally

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

As you said, she is a beginner, her very first test, and that was a random test because you have no idea what she was before she ate, nor what she ate.
5.6mmol/l at 2 hours is not a realistic target for a complete beginner. It isn't realistic for most of us. She must set her own targets and has been advised to look at any rise from before to after and concentrate on getting that down. The rest will follow, and when it does she can re-set her targets. Poor girl has to learn to walk before she climbs Everest.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
right goal is max 7,7 one hour and max 5,6 after two hours - it would lead to hba1c <42.

Reactions: Anne999

Hotpepper20000

I must strongly disagree with 5 or 6 being the max after a meal. That is a unrealistic goal for most and especially for someone who is just starting to control their BG could be very discouraging

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't "have to have" statins. The choice is yours. All doctors can do is offer them.
Can you tell us why the hospital staff said that?

Well done on getting the meter and strips. As you drive for a living and take Gliclazide you need to test regularly, and if your GP tells you it is necessary to inform the DVLA then you need to do that. Gliclazide is a type of drug that can cause low blood sugars, so you need to be aware of this.

Yes, probably a wrong turn of phrase there.

They put my cholestrol results through some 'risk generator' which came up with 42%. Apprently <10% is no risk, so I have a high risk of not making another 10 yrs. My GP suggested we hold off for a while, he has booked more blood tests for 3 months.

I was aware of Gliclazide and driving, I won't be out in a truck for a while and the doc explained (as you did) the need for regular monitoring, but thanks for the heads up.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must strongly disagree with 5 or 6 being the max after a meal. That is a unrealistic goal for most and especially for someone who is just starting to control their BG could be very discouraging
Sure, but question was what is the right number. So it is max 5,6.
The plan how to get to this number is other question. I have spent 3 month to get there (“no carbs” diet and a lot of gym).

Hotpepper20000

Sure, but question was what is the right number. So it is max 5,6.
The plan how to get to this number is other question. I have spent 3 month to get there (“no carbs” diet and a lot of gym).
No 5,6 max is not the right number. Even healthy non diabetics go above that.
All medical guidelines dont go that low.
My latest A1C is 35 and I still can go to BG 7 with certain green vegetables.