Itv The Fat Fix: Diabetes

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is it like our soft “dd” sound?
My knowledge of Welsh pronunciation is limited to v (u) and Ll (kl), right? Anyway, it's like the 'th' in them, their, there etc. :)

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I may be in a minority but I found the programme fascinating.

Hey Wendy.. you have obviously struggled to get proper advice from your doctor which is pretty standard. The program did not give any advice only mentioned calories (which have no impact on blood sugars) and give them an unknown drink which they said was disgusting and left them feeling like ****.

However you should find loads of good info in this forum.. see the pinned topics in the newly diagnosed threads.. and 4emember it's all about the carbs.

Here is a link to a much more informative program on reversing t2 diabetes..

And there was a very useful program on bbc1 called The Truth About Carbs still available on bbc iPlayer x

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I can be pretty idle at times, combine that with eating all the wrong things and hey-presto T2 is an unwelcome visitor!
I regularly did 8 to 10 mile hikes ! Made no difference at all so clearly we are all individual!

Reactions: Prem51

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My knowledge of Welsh pronunciation is limited to v (u) and Ll (kl), right? Anyway, it's like the 'th' in them, their, there etc. :)
Aha! Same as our dd then. So I’ve got that nailed :)

Hate to be pedantic, but we don’t have a letter v - an f in Welsh in pronounces like and English v; a Welsh ff sounds like the English f.

The Ll sound is made with the tongue curled against the roof of the mouth, and you sort of blow through it. Not everyone can do that, so a kl sound is a fair approximation.

Next up, how to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :D

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Aha! Same as our dd then. So I’ve got that nailed :)

Hate to be pedantic, but we don’t have a letter v - an f in Welsh in pronounces like and English v; a Welsh ff sounds like the English f.
Geez, opposite of German then as far as the v is concerned and you have to go overdo it on the fs. That explains why there are so _ew le_t in England and Scotland, while they're drowning in vs.

The Ll sound is made with the tongue curled against the roof of the mouth, and you sort of blow through it. Not everyone can do that, so a kl sound is a fair approximation.

There you go ... That's why I avoid llandudno (Klandidno?) ;)

Next up, how to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :D

Did it, but so swiftly you probably missed it. Now you. Rødgrød med fløde. :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Geez, opposite of German then as far as the v is concerned and you have to go overdo it on the fs. That explains why there are so _ew le_t in England and Scotland, while they're drowning in vs.

There you go ... That's why I avoid llandudno (Klandidno?) ;)

Did it, but so swiftly you probably missed it. Now you. Rødgrød med fløde. :)
Don’t go to Llanelli...

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Don’t go to Llanelli...
I'll remember that. I love listening to accents, and while travelling through Wales it hit me that in the north they sound like Norwegians speaking English. Same sing song tone. Lovely :) In Cork, Ireland they sounded a bit like islanders from the Danish island of Bornholm speaking English.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shame really that method would put off many people with diabetes doing it too as they gave clear message it needed medical supervision and support. Clearly you need punishing with vile shakes if you’ve got yourself into such a mess! What we all achieve at home with a LCHF way of eating would have been much more encouraging, doable and inspiring and sustainable. Wonder if carbs will ever get mentioned?
Although the NHS is starting to recognise that low starchy carbs are better for diabetics they are still encouraging low fat so I take it those shakes were very low in fat

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could members help, please, I seem to remember that the cost of these shakes is or would have been £50 per week. I may be misremembering, though. But if I am right then someone is going to be kachinging it all the way to the bank whilst buyers would end up either curled up in bed or raiding the hamsters food bowl.
Can you actually buy the shakes that they are using I was under the impression they were especially made for the experiment . I would think you would need medical supervision to use them.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like I was right and it was Exante products they used
http://www.exantediet.com/blog/long-read/traceys-story-reducing-type-2-diabetes/
I bought a sample pack in the past but ultimately havnt used them, the shakes flavours I tried were mostly fine taste wise while the bars were not. I never tried the ‘meals’ as they just looked too revolting.
The shakes I tried were variable in terms of BS impact - some produced a change around 1 mmol, others were 3 mmol. Never worked out if the difference related more to the different time of day testing or the different carb content although the ones I looked at were v similar in terms of carb count. I wasnt tempted to follow the diet so didnt find out.
I would say their shakes are prob worth a look for anyone wanting to try vlcd but use proper food to make 200 cal meals rather than use the meals / bars on offer

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
AU5Ir5.jpg

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like I was right and it was Exante products they used
http://www.exantediet.com/blog/long-read/traceys-story-reducing-type-2-diabetes/
I bought a sample pack in the past but ultimately havnt used them, the shakes flavours I tried were mostly fine taste wise while the bars were not. I never tried the ‘meals’ as they just looked too revolting.
The shakes I tried were variable in terms of BS impact - some produced a change around 1 mmol, others were 3 mmol. Never worked out if the difference related more to the different time of day testing or the different carb content although the ones I looked at were v similar in terms of carb count. I wasnt tempted to follow the diet so didnt find out.
I would say their shakes are prob worth a look for anyone wanting to try vlcd but use proper food to make 200 cal meals rather than use the meals / bars on offer
Well reading that it sounds like Tracey was well happy about doing it and says she has her life back so who are we to knock it it worked for her and thats all that mattered. We on this forum are very biased towards LCHF but that does not work for everyone there are other ways that people manage to control their diabetes

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could members help, please, I seem to remember that the cost of these shakes is or would have been £50 per week. I may be misremembering, though. But if I am right then someone is going to be kachinging it all the way to the bank whilst buyers would end up either curled up in bed or raiding the hamsters food bowl.

The shakes can be got a lot cheaper, but are often provided along with surport by Ligherlife for example. They do not often get good results unless people have a lot of surport when going back to eating normal food.

(This is the main reason I think people should be told to start with low carb. As the 20hr of surport will not be given in the real world.)