Is There An Error In Determining The Degree Of Diabetes?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Sorry, no the question is addressed to Alexandra. Surely post Diabetic can only mean dead as beyond Diabetes doesn't exist, there is no cure so the only way to be post D would be to have died? It makes no sense.
Although a pancreas transplant is not classed as a cure, I regard myself as being post diabetic in the sense that I had to stick to a diet and insulin regime when I was diabetic. Now I don't have to stick to a diet and only take immuno-suppressants, prescribed Vitamin D, Aspirin and Omeprazole, to reduce stomach acid.

Reactions: kitedoc and Guzzler

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think that the higher the rate of hba1c than 5.4% this means that there is someone who has a disorder percentage. This person is not 100 percent healthy

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Although a pancreas transplant is not classed as a cure, I regard myself as being post diabetic in the sense that I had to stick to a diet and insulin regime when I was diabetic. Now I don't have to stick to a diet and only take immuno-suppressants, prescribed Vitamin D, Aspirin and Omeprazole, to reduce stomach acid.

Ah but Grant are there enough donors? And would T2s qualify? Further, would someone who has never been diagnosed with any type of Diabetes or disease of the pancreas qualify? And as far as I know unless it is a matter of disease other than Diabetes then the comment still stands.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think that the higher the rate of hba1c than 5.4% this means that there is someone who has a disorder percentage. This person is not 100 percent healthy

Or maybe they are very healthy with extra long lived blood cells. I think you don’t realize that Hba1c measurements are not a highly accurate way of determining average bold glucose levels.

M

Moggely

Then why the hell have them?. This really upsets me, here i am one day away from having my 3rd Hba1c , so why have it if it isn't accurate i really don't understand. I'm really pretty sure now after the stress of this thread and another one saying similar things my levels will be up. I have no confidence in it now.:(

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Then why the hell have them?. This really upsets me, here i am one day away from having my 3rd Hba1c , so why have it if it isn't accurate i really don't understand. I'm really pretty sure now after the stress of this thread and another one saying similar things my levels will be up. I have no confidence in it now.:(
HbA1c tests are not highly accurate, but they can be useful. And for some people they do accurately reflect their average blood glucose levels. But even if they are accurate for a person, they shouldn't be used in a vacuum. The HbA1c results should be looked at along with glucometer tests. You need to look at your fasting blood glucose levels first thing in the morning and checks throughout the day, especially after meals. These results along with your HbA1c results should give you an idea of how your doing. Even though HbA1c results may not be 100% accurate, whether your HbA1c is going significantly up, down or staying the same tells you something potentially useful. Unfortunately most HCPs will not take the time to look over the glucometer results you've recorded, so it's up to you to interpret them.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2 and Safi

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Moggely, I think it is because HBA1C is the best we have got at present. Hopefully better measures will be forthcoming in future.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2
M

Moggely

Thanks @kitedoc and @NoCrbs4Me . I think i'm just expecting too much in such a short time. Sometimes it seems such hard work for so little gain really and yes i know i'm sounding like a sulky child. Never use to be like this:hilarious:. Time i stopped taking it so seriously but then again ...amputated feet,legs,blindness ext ext..:banghead:

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Here is one person who totally agrees with your thinking regards line cut off re degree diabetes and errors due to numbers set. Also the very little differences of cut offs should be taken into consideration when diagnosing.

I have made comments re my own concerns about this on this site and now refrain from doing so, as no one seemed to take notice, but I reiterate again, the cut off lines made are all arbitrary set confirmed as such. I have also given example of myself, between two countries, i.e. New Zealand views 6..6% as pre diabetes, here in spain 6.6% is diabetic. The same goes if one is sitting on the cut off i.e. 6.5% spain cut off, so if your on this number, you are still classed diabetic, yet New Zealand pragmatic viewing is more flexi, if one is up to or equal to i.e. sitting on 6.6% your still viewed as pre for example.

New Zealand feels, to label a person diabetic, just because they are sitting on a number or one number above, can cause anxiety stress, and other, and prefer to have a flexi approach caution, monitory reviews approach.

Its a difficult one, there has to be a number set as I see it, but what is the correct line cut off is the doubt question. Until that changes, to save doubts and when no big differences, I do not have faith or trust in the arbitrary numbers set but then thats my own personal opinion and I am sure am the minority on this view.

Today for example, although I no longer reply or send posts, I have taken the liberty to post my success story, in the hope to give incentive to others, as this and the success story will be my last post, but within that story, I have mentioned the differences of victims as myself, inbetween two countries that differ on cut off its not an error, both countries are right, but they follow their own criterias, and although not an error, its a doubt as to what should be the cut off, i.e. nor arbitrary set, but instead by clinical and medical proof of evidence, to allow diagnosing purposes.

It is not clearly stated to us i.e. cut off is 6.5% i.e. does that mean if your sitting on 6.5% or is it 6.6 becomes diabetic. Personally if one is sitting on the cut off, its borderline case situation Caution, but many countries view if your on the cut off arbitrary set at whim random choice, you are diabetic.

You have a good point raised. An example, it depends where one resides time of being diagnosed, as many countries have different cut offs, so who is right and who is wrong, and I guess it could be at the end of the day referred to as your question is there error...I have had one lab error that showed I was diabetic, after pressure and force to have this checked and rechecked it proved Yes, there was an error, and believe me, may not be of that important to the Lab, but for the person on the receiving end of the lab test A1C Test, there is a big difference between pre diabetic and diabetic. Had I not pushed and pressed to get proof error, I would still be thinking I was Diabetic. Now that is frightening.

So I applaud you for this post you have written, as it leaves room for lots of thought on the subject.

This is my last reply, and the post I have done today will be my last also, that post was to indicate that errors can happen, do happen, and personally its up to all individuals if they want to take care after all its our bodies, to ask questions and whether that is 1 or 100 to get it right, do so, had I not asked questions, I would be under impression I was diabetic, and was not due to lab error.
Thank you for your reply @pollensa and I hope you will still read what is on site. Your argument about laboratory cut-offs is at the heart of medical science seeking certainty in what is a spectrum of the human condition. I find this paradoxical when one of the so-called highly valued attributes of doctors is the ability to tolerate uncertainty !! Far better that repeated-at-intervals tests and assessment, some maybe office-based, others home-based (e.g.weight), tests that health-based interpreters are trained to assess on trends and all known factors about an individual person, might be used to gauge, in full discussion with the individual person, what might be a suitable change in lifestyle, diet etc, measures proven to effect outcome positively. That might be an ideal, of course, but hopefully would dispel the cut-off nonsense. Repeated results suggest a trend which can be addressed sensibly without agonising over figures as though it is a pass-fail exam. A change to the way health professionals are taught and trained, and how much exposure they receive from health care consumer views during those critical years, will likely involve a paradigm shift. But one has to start somewhere !!

Reactions: johnrubinstein

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks @kitedoc and @NoCrbs4Me . I think i'm just expecting too much in such a short time. Sometimes it seems such hard work for so little gain really and yes i know i'm sounding like a sulky child. Never use to be like this:hilarious:. Time i stopped taking it so seriously but then again ...amputated feet,legs,blindness ext ext..:banghead:
Sadly some health care providers think that fear is the best motivator, although that attitude is less common these days.
In the past, I have sometimes brazenly said to one with this inclination to the nth degree, "Well. are you going to be there sawing off my leg "! Strangely that seems to quieten them down !! Best care and doing the best one can are the best guarantees.
Live well and carefully today to secure the future, but enjoy each day because no future is absolutely certain.
Optimism is pessimism dressed up in a clown's costume.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How can one be "post Diabetic"?
It was a little joke. However, the term could be applied to those who initially had an A1c high enough for them to be diagnosed as diabetic and then by their own efforts lowered it to a level considered even below pre-diabetic. I believe that sometimes their doctors re-label them as not diabetic, sometimes as in remission, or sometimes the diabetic label remains. Indeed, when on this Forum we choose what label to apply to ourselves, the option of "post-diabetic" might come in useful.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No medical test is 100% accurate. Everything to do with diabetes is particularly poorly understood, inaccurate, unpredictable including the various tests. Finger prick tests are inaccurate, CGM testing is inaccurate, the official guidelines are not even based on the latest research but rather on expedience. This is one factor that goes to make diabetes such a distressing condition. IMO we have to make the best of what we have. That includes A1c tests, finger sticks, CGM from time to time if we can afford it and consulting the best books / sites and articles / videos, not forgetting this Forum. It is a mistake to get too downcast / elated by the results of one test, but over time they can add up to useful information. And tests are motivational. The Fitbit effect of a looming A1c is not negligible!

P

pollensa

No medical test is 100% accurate. Everything to do with diabetes is particularly poorly understood, inaccurate, unpredictable including the various tests. Finger prick tests are inaccurate, CGM testing is inaccurate, the official guidelines are not even based on the latest research but rather on expedience. This is one factor that goes to make diabetes such a distressing condition. IMO we have to make the best of what we have. That includes A1c tests, finger sticks, CGM from time to time if we can afford it and consulting the best books / sites and articles / videos, not forgetting this Forum. It is a mistake to get too downcast / elated by the results of one test, but over time they can add up to useful information. And tests are motivational. The Fitbit effect of a looming A1c is not negligible!
How well put, exactly as you describe, thankfully Alexandra 100 post, you are one of the minority who see the light, and question what is good medical sense, or what is medical sense that is doubtful. Excellence of a post and information put forth.

M

Moggely

Yes i think i'm getting where you are all coming from. Talk about not even wanting to trust the doctors or the tests. However if it isn't what i want i will try not to be upset about. Don't feel so bad about having it tomorrow now, so thank you everyone.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It was a little joke. However, the term could be applied to those who initially had an A1c high enough for them to be diagnosed as diabetic and then by their own efforts lowered it to a level considered even below pre-diabetic. I believe that sometimes their doctors re-label them as not diabetic, sometimes as in remission, or sometimes the diabetic label remains. Indeed, when on this Forum we choose what label to apply to ourselves, the option of "post-diabetic" might come in useful.

I cannot agree. Until a cure is found the best one can hope for is remission. Having had four diagnoses I now have four labels and am in no hurry to add another but would be glad to 'lose' one.

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HbA1c measures average glucose levels over the past 2 or 3 months. Imagine 2 people have diabetes. For the last two months one has been on a low carb diet and the other has eaten bread, potatoes and rice every day. Their HbA1c would show how well they are managing their diabetes not how "badly" they have the disease.
I told this to my diabetic nurse, she wanted to discharge me because my numbers were good. I explained to her that I am managing my diabetes, it hasn't suddenly gone away!

Reactions: Guzzler
P

pollensa

Thank you for your reply @pollensa and I hope you will still read what is on site. Your argument about laboratory cut-offs is at the heart of medical science seeking certainty in what is a spectrum of the human condition. I find this paradoxical when one of the so-called highly valued attributes of doctors is the ability to tolerate uncertainty !! Far better that repeated-at-intervals tests and assessment, some maybe office-based, others home-based (e.g.weight), tests that health-based interpreters are trained to assess on trends and all known factors about an individual person, might be used to gauge, in full discussion with the individual person, what might be a suitable change in lifestyle, diet etc, measures proven to effect outcome positively. That might be an ideal, of course, but hopefully would dispel the cut-off nonsense. Repeated results suggest a trend which can be addressed sensibly without agonising over figures as though it is a pass-fail exam. A change to the way health professionals are taught and trained, and how much exposure they receive from health care consumer views during those critical years, will likely involve a paradigm shift. But one has to start somewhere !!

Hello Kitedoc. Yes, I may pop on and view now and again.
Your info presented, well said. The nonsense of cut offs i.e. vary, irregularity arbitrary set, great concern, again I am minority thinking on this concern and question this situation often. I give example which is a real situation and facts, would be interested anyone out there to hear their views when a situation arises as experienced, as I am sure it must affect many others in the same way yes or no?

British yet residing spain, followed trusted the recommended guidelines UK cut off system, which included what was shown on this informative website, the site, showed
  • Fasting guide level showed to be below 108mg/dl, below this indicates one is normal range. I based my results on this cut off number.
  • In Spain cut off fasting is 70 to 110mg/dl. If one is in this range, you are normal range. I followed the British cut off. For over a year, 108mg/dl guide, resulted my tests fell below this cut off and were indicated normal range.
Suddenly 108mg/dl guide, changed on the website? to show it had lowered from 108mg/dl to now 100mg/dl.

That lowering of number resulted normal results that ranged generally between 89 to 103mg/dl fasting, now if numbers hit range 90mg/dl to say 100mg/dl or 101, 102, 103, now become Pre diabetic range? as I understand.

One year one can be normal, a sudden change lessening of a number 108 to 100mg/dl can make a dramatic change as guideline for one to base their results upon.

However, As my numbers are below 110mg/dl in Spain, of course, I am classified as normal range, compared to now UK nodue to change of cut off level overnight basically, I change from Normal to Pre diabetic, I do not see the good medical sense when such situations are real and facts that are taking place to suddenly become normal range to pre diabetic. I had a great surprise when I saw the 108mg/dl had been reduced to 100mg/dl fasting on the sight, and at first, I felt a typographical error had been in place, on enquiries to clarify, it seemed no error in place explanation presented.

I am not saying UK change guidelines are wrong, they simply follow decisions of recommendations, that differ say to other countries. No one is wrong, all countries follow their own rules criterias accordingly, but results in one becoming victim of these variations of cut off situations inbeween.

My question is, should such situations be in existence that a lowering of a number changes all, no doubt adds anxiety stress and unwarrented worry and disappointment, that one can feel happy due to their efforts to control, and then find overnight, they suddenly become a different category, I cannot see a sound reason as to how such a situation of lowering of number changes by the so called experts can take place with this in mind.

Differences of diagnosing A1C cut offs.

A1C New Zealand to my understanding if I am not mistaken are as follows as I read on their website and differ to other countries for example.

40mmol/mol equal to or less. 5.8%
Virtually excludes diabetes non diabetic range. No need to repeat A1C

41/49 mmol/mol equal to or less 5.9% to 6.6%
Abnormal glucose tolerance pre diabetes range. Recommended diet lifestyle changes and assess manage all CV risk factors. Repeat A1C annually, unless symptomatic in interim.

50mmol/mol equal to or greater 6.7%
Supports diagnosis f diabetes in asymoptomatic people must be confirmed on a second A1C sample after aninterval. Recommended diet lifestyle changes and assess manage CV risk factors, start regular retinal urinary microalbumin, renal function and foot screening

Whether one agrees with these cut offs or NZ is right or wrong in their viewing, at least they explain clearly and simply how their criterias function. i.e.

I find it welcoming personally, New Zealand explanations guides, leaves one with no doubt as to their range, for the fact, they clearly demonstrate and make it clear, "equal" to or less or "equal" to or greater. for example, on their cut off for diabetic, if one is sitting on the 6.7% New Zealand cut off, one would be viewed as Pre Diabetic range, if greater i.e. 6.8% or more, supports diagnosing of diabetes.

At least to indicate equal to less or greater, takes a certain doubt away for persons results, I am not saying NZ are right or wrong, only speaking about how cut off ranges compare and due to this, hence not a doctor, yet feel overall the Diabetes world industry, should perhaps,provide more clearer information readily available re cut off situation, the world should follow one strict guideline cut off for all, perhaps that would be a good start....and make a decision as to what happens if one is actually sitting on the chosen cut off, as to what category they fall into, NZ makes it very clear in their, perhaps also the guideline makers decision makers should a leaf out of the book of New Zealand regards the situation of when one is actually sitting on the cut off number whatever that may be.

Your post of information is excellent surrounding information and comments.

Mallorca.

P

pollensa

How true and well said.