Bee pollen

Greek organic Ilias’s honey.

Coconut oil.

Coconut water

Chia seeds

Avocado

Cinnamon

Bitter gourd powder.
This is the ingredients for my green smoothie. I researched the contents and enjoy it. BUT my blood sugars prick test is showing 14 on waking up? Is there any of the ingredients I should avoid? Worried . Pins and needles in hands.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honey is the obvious source of carbs. Personally I wouldn't have any of it and have a cup of coffee instead.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Altum155sb and welcome to the forum!
I don't even know what most of those ingredients are, let alone know what the carb content is. Except for the honey which is sugar.
How long before testing your blood sugar did you take this concoction? Usually we test before eating and then 2 hours after first bite, that tells us what a particular food did to our blood glucose. BG upon waking can be high because your liver may dump glucose in your bloodstream so it's not very useful to tell you something about food of the day before.

I'll tag @Daisy 1 for her excellent info sheet about diabetes, she'll post it on this thread.
Good luck!

Altum155sb

Hello @Altum155sb and welcome to the forum!
I don't even know what most of those ingredients are, let alone know what the carb content is. Except for the honey which is sugar.
How long before testing your blood sugar did you take this concoction? Usually we test before eating and then 2 hours after first bite, that tells us what a particular food did to our blood glucose. BG upon waking can be high because your liver may dump glucose in your bloodstream so it's not very useful to tell you something about food of the day before.

I'll tag @Daisy 1 for her excellent info sheet about diabetes, she'll post it on this thread.
Good luck!
I took a glass on going to bed and tested the following morning. I will take out the honey. The bulk is just fresh vegetables and I don’t add berries. Thank you for your interest .

Reactions: Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome :)
Could you let us know what type of diabetes you have?
And whether you carb count?
And what medication you are on?
You can add the info to your profile, so you only have to enter it once, rather than explaining it in each thread or post.

I would say that if you think the ingredients are things you want to add to your diet, then do so. :)
Your body. Your blood glucose. Your diabetes.
But test comprehensively.

Test before drinking, 1hr later, and then every 30mins til your readings are back to your start point.

It is the only way you will know how your body reacts.
The honey is the carbiest item there but it depends on portion size.

I LOVE green smoothies, and i used to drink them regularly. But they were carefully formulated (masses of low carb veg, minimum of low carb fruit, plus enough fats (avocado or cashews) to control speed of digestion. My blood glucose was fine on them, but another recipe, or another ratio of ingredients would have had a very different outcome.

Sometimes those protein powders have hidden carbs, although the hemp one from holland and barratt gave me the lowest carbs I could find.

Regarding your high morning reading, I would google Dawn phenomenon. There are a few reasons why diabetics have raised fasting blood glucose, and food the night before is only one of them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I researched a book “called the diabetes lie”. Which recommends a green vegetable drink for loosing weight which i need to do. Thanks for the interest.
Ok not a route I would take personally and it seems not to be working too well for you either?
A lot of us here have had much success with a low carb higher fat diet. Persoanlly I've lost over 8 stone in weight and have normalised my HBA1c following this strategy. When Daisy posts her intro you may find it useful.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
While cinammon, chia seeds, avocado and coconut oil are all natural and used by some members here the other ingredients have little to no proven benefit (I'm leaving out mct oil as I know little about its supposed benefits).
My advice would be to eat whole foods cooked from scratch having counted the carbohydrates. There is no mention of animal fats/meat so I am guessing you may be vegetarian, if so have a look at the vegi/vegan section of the forum where there are members who have improved their health and well being. Good luck.

Altum155sb

While cinammon, chia seeds, avocado and coconut oil are all natural and used by some members here the other ingredients have little to no proven benefit (I'm leaving out mct oil as I know little about its supposed benefits).
My advice would be to eat whole foods cooked from scratch having counted the carbohydrates. There is no mention of animal fats/meat so I am guessing you may be vegetarian, if so have a look at the vegi/vegan section of the forum where there are members who have improved their health and well being. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply. I am not vegetarian but am cutting back on meat intake.

Altum155sb

“Big diabetes lie” 7 steps to good health. This is a book I have read on diabetes in general and food in particular. Has any one else read it?

Altum155sb

The book referred to above “Big diabetes lie”. 7 steps to good health bangs on about cuttin down on red meat. I just thought I was eating too much of it and clogging the system? Any one know this publication?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just thought I was eating too much of it and clogging the system?
I hadn't come across that particular publication before but have since done a bit of googling..
Sounds a bit like a few others we have seen that promote a vegetarian/vegan way of eating as a "cure" for T2.
Unfortunately there seem to be very few forum members who have had much success following that particular path.
I'd be interested in how they think eating meat can "clog" the system.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You say you have this smoothie at night time, but what are you eating for the rest of the day? That’ll have a bearing on your readings too

Altum155sb

It’s an expensive publication so to get answers would cost you money in respect of meat. It does push the fresh raw vegetables way to go? I am loosing weight on the vegetables so from that point of view I am happy.

Altum155sb

You say you have this smoothie at night time, but what are you eating for the rest of the day? That’ll have a bearing on your readings too
Sorry misleading. I take a green shake for breakfast and some porridge. Another one at lunchtime. Another at teatime with a meal of some kind. If I’m hungry at bedtime I take a small drink of the smoothie. Trying to loose weight.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
“Big diabetes lie” 7 steps to good health. This is a book I have read on diabetes in general and food in particular. Has any one else read it?

I have seen their video on YouTube. It is a money-making scheme to sell supplements some of which have no proven benefits whatsoever. The Herbal/Supplements Industry is almost as lucrative as the Pharmaceutical Industry.

As to meat. Meat (and eggs etc) is high in protein and this animal protein is essential as well as being very good at keeping us satisfied for longer. As we age (especially over 50) the efficiency of metabolising protein diminishes so we benefit from having a little more meat in the diet. I find that a fattier cut of meat in a goodly portion does not raise my blood glucose levels to any real extent and I am not snack hunting a couple of hours after having a meal.