Healthy Fat, or not?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to disagree.. we now have no food waste whatsoever and our food bills have gone down. Beef mince at £3 per kilo, ox liver at £1.60 per kilo.. eggs are cheap as eggs.. it doesn't have to be expensive to eat low carb you just need to be a savvy shopper.
Yes but you eat mainly meat but not everyone likes a lot of meat or cheaper cuts made into stews and casseroles and cooked for hours in a slow cooker, and many people do not like or can't eat eggs for whatever reason we all have different tastes The OP was talking more about things like ham cheese nuts cream etc and they are not very inexpensive.
I count myself lucky that I do not have a tight budget for food and I probably spend far more on food than I should. I can understand though how difficult it can be for those who do have to budget and how most would probably buy the cheaper stuff like pasta bread and potatoes so it is far more difficult for many diabetics to afford better foods

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do agree with you on the budget side of things. It is more expensive or so it seems to me. My only reservation is that I seem to have a tendency to eat less on a LCHF diet so (without costing it out) it might not be so much more than it would first seem.

How do you find things? Presumably a lot more expensive?
Yes I think low carb is more expensive as food goes up in price all the time I am lucky though that I am not on a tight budget as many people are

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think low carb is more expensive as food goes up in price all the time I am lucky though that I am not on a tight budget as many people are
What I do notice is that leaner meats are more expensive. So fattier meats are cheaper. But yes, some things like chia seeds, almond flour are not cheap.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I do notice is that leaner meats are more expensive. So fattier meats are cheaper. But yes, some things like chia seeds, almond flour are not cheap.
You can eat those things if you want to. That's fine, but they aren't an important constituent of my personal menu.

I can't think when I last used either.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat those things if you want to. That's fine, but they aren't an important constituent of my personal menu.

I can't think when I last used either.
So what do you eat instead of meats. Either leaner or fattier?

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
We all have to eat according to our budget and if you will not be able to afford those things it is fine do not feel you have to have them . Despite what some here say low carb eating all the things recommended can be expensive and beyond those on a fixed budget and I am sure that is true for a lot of members here. I also am not convinced yet on the "fat is good for us" there is not enough long term evidence out there to say it is.. I can't see it ever being recommended now as we are all being encouraged to help the planet by eating less animal products
Am searching out ways to include more vegetable fat, Brazil nuts seem to be good, avocados possibly, unless there is an environmental cost to those as well?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Using ground almonds and coconut flour occasionally, (too expensive to use all the time) normally when my grandchilden visit, which has been once about every 4-6 weeks. Recently bought some Slenda and was able to create a Gluten-free, reduced carb dessert based on the filling for a bakewell tart. Sadly will be seeing much less of them when we move.
have never been tempted to buy chia seeds.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's odd how people used to eat so much lard, butter and fatty meat in the past, yet heart disease was much less of a problem than it is now. I mention this because we have all been conditioned to believe that fat is dangerous. Food cooked in butter and lard tastes better. Fatty meat is so tasty. It's so difficult to get over the ingrained fear of these healthy foods isn't it. We've all been brainwashed to fear fat and hate the taste and it's still going on. If fat is so bad for me, why do I feel so much better on a LCHF diet?
Lifestyle changes, not only dietry shifts have had a huge impact. People were far more active in the past.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes but you eat mainly meat but not everyone likes a lot of meat or cheaper cuts made into stews and casseroles and cooked for hours in a slow cooker, and many people do not like or can't eat eggs for whatever reason we all have different tastes The OP was talking more about things like ham cheese nuts cream etc and they are not very inexpensive.
I count myself lucky that I do not have a tight budget for food and I probably spend far more on food than I should. I can understand though how difficult it can be for those who do have to budget and how most would probably buy the cheaper stuff like pasta bread and potatoes so it is far more difficult for many diabetics to afford better foods
Will have to have a go at that most profitable of restaurant dishes - Belly pork.
@bulkbiker where do you get mince at £3 a kilo? Its more than that here.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Using ground almonds and coconut flour occasionally, (too expensive to use all the time) normally when my grandchilden visit, which has been once about every 4-6 weeks. Recently bought some Slenda and was able to create a Gluten-free, reduced carb dessert based on the filling for a bakewell tart. Sadly will be seeing much less of them when we move.
have never been tempted to buy chia seeds.
I was just using those as two examples that came to mind. I have come across other foodstuffs that bump the price of the LCHF diet up, as one or two others that post on here have pointed out. Just really agreeing with that line of thought.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I missed this post earlier. I do agree.

What I also notice is buying LCHF for one in a family of 3 also bumps up the costs.

However, it is of course important to change as needed and I do sympathise with those who cannot find the extra money needed for the purpose.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What price health? I am investing a little now (though I havn't seen my shopping bills rise significantly) to keep my sight and my feet as well as good kidney and heart health. There is also the knock on effects of improving the diet of those close to me. For me it's a win win situation.

Reactions: Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are only two of us in our household. My husband is not diabetic and is not low carb. We eat more or less the same meals. He has a lot of spuds and rice. I don't. He has ordinary bread. I don't. He eats a carby dessert. I don't. He eats fruit. I don't. We haven't noticed any significant increase in our food bills and don't find it difficult to accommodate my low carb diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will have to have a go at that most profitable of restaurant dishes - Belly pork.
@bulkbiker where do you get mince at £3 a kilo? Its more than that here.

Marks and Spencer yes really they do a 20% fat mince for £3 per kilo, Tesco 20% fat mince is £2.98 a kilo one of the others is LIDL or Aldi's I think but can't be sure.. the Tesco one is this

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292291639

M&S you have to search a bit it comes in a 600g pack for £1.80 (so £3 per kilo) but they don't always have it.. I tend to bulk buy and freeze.. (maybe that should be my new user name.. Bulkbuyer!) They also do another pack of 20% fat mince that is 750g and is a lot more expensive.. no idea why...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are only two of us in our household. My husband is not diabetic and is not low carb. We eat more or less the same meals. He has a lot of spuds and rice. I don't. He has ordinary bread. I don't. He eats a carby dessert. I don't. He eats fruit. I don't. We haven't noticed any significant increase in our food bills and don't find it difficult to accommodate my low carb diet.
That kind of sums up our situation. I still think it costs more but have to concede that I haven’t costed it out so it might be my perception only. I also believe I don’t eat as much as I did, so maybe that is how it balances out.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I love the M&S herby coated belly pork joints, last time I was there they were on offer at £3.50 each so I bought three. So moist and tasty and easy to cook, job's a goodun.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the M&S herby coated belly pork joints, last time I was there they were on offer at £3.50 each so I bought three. So moist and tasty and easy to cook, job's a goodun.
My wife’s favourite food is roast belly pork.

D

Deleted member 308541

What I also notice is buying LCHF for one in a family of 3 also bumps up the costs.
Our food bill excluding meat was $160.00 for two of us for a two week period yesterday. The meat bill might be around $60.00 depending what we are short of.

This about the same as when I went in on to lchf, my partner eats basically the same as me.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our food bill excluding meat was $160.00 for two of us for a two week period yesterday. The meat bill might be around $60.00 depending what we are short of.

This about the same as when I went in on to lchf, my partner eats basically the same as me.
Hold on Sport, what’s the exchange rate right now? :D