• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Annoys me a bit when drugs are used as a way to weight loss. Surely its not a natural way. Fair enough if all the other methods have been exhausted but I have to exercise, as well as watch my diet as I gain weight, as well as having to keep my bg levels steady or try to at least! It would have bee a lot easier if I had been given a tablet I guess but for me, it takes the enjoyment out of seeing the results through diet and exercise.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to the BBC presenters discussing this newsflash, it is a Miracle Drug as it apparently has no side effects, no complications, and is completely safe. We can see the possibility of Ozempic availability for diabetics sailing off into the sunset.

No mention that nausea is a common effect, or that the drug is possibly associated with thyroid tumours, or that eDKA is a possible outcome. Not proven by RCT, so carry on regardless. only (n=1) evidence so not a problem. Sell it to the masses and watch the moolah roll in. I seem to recall that opiod drugs started out as painkilling sweeties. Statins are currently being rolled out for preventing heart attacks and strokes, and also other uncomfortable conditions for which the original trials did not cover or monitor.. Side effects? Not proven.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is ridiculously easy to have the media parrot whatever you want. Hand out a nicely written press release with bait and a good hook and they will gratefully take the opportunity to avoid doing any work.

I feel I cannot much trust anything I read in the media (including social media) these days about health or diet. All too often the trail ends in a piece of junk research based on (eg) a self-report study on ten people.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The purchase of Sequence (a telemarketing operation) gives WW access to doctors who will remotely prescribe the drugs on comission. WW will be charging a monthly subscription (currently $99 USD a month) for this access. The CNN discussion pointed out that (a) a typical time to reduce weight is 17 months based on the study evidence

The CNN discussion also mentioned that when the drug is stopped, then weight piles back on. It is a lifestyle change? or a lifetime change?

Sequence currently has 24,000 subscribers using their service. WW curently has 3,5M users of their services.
When you apply, there are only two questions on the application - current weight and height. Now, the FDA has only licenced the drug for use in persons over 30 BMI ( 27 if diabetic) so maybe there will be a barrier to climb over. Since this affects dosing, it may be that many will lie about their BMI just to get their paws on the goodies which could be a safety issue.

Last edited:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The purchase of Sequence (a telemarketing operation) gives WW access to doctors who will remotely prescribe the drugs on comission. WW will be charging a monthly subscription (currently $99 USD a month) for this access. The CNN discussion pointed out that (a) a typical time to reduce weight is 17 months based on the study evidence

The CNN discussion also mentioned that when the drug is stopped, then weight piles back on. It is a lifestyle change? or a lifetime change?

Sequence currently has 24,000 subscribers using their service. WW curently has 3,5M users of their services.
When you apply, there are only two questions on the application - current weight and height. Now, the FDA has only licenced the drug for use in persons over 30 BMI ( 27 if diabetic) so maybe there will be a barrier to climb over. Since this affects dosing, it may be that many will lie about their BMI just to get their paws on the goodies which could be a safety issue.
So it would appear that its not so much of a wonder drug that is being touted. Either way it would appear to have to be a continuous lifetime change, from what I can see. Think I would rather diet/exercise without the side effects.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the BBC presenters discussing this newsflash, it is a Miracle Drug as it apparently has no side effects, no complications, and is completely safe. We can see the possibility of Ozempic availability for diabetics sailing off into the sunset.

No mention that nausea is a common effect, or that the drug is possibly associated with thyroid tumours, or that eDKA is a possible outcome. Not proven by RCT, so carry on regardless. only (n=1) evidence so not a problem. Sell it to the masses and watch the moolah roll in. I seem to recall that opiod drugs started out as painkilling sweeties. Statins are currently being rolled out for preventing heart attacks and strokes, and also other uncomfortable conditions for which the original trials did not cover or monitor.. Side effects? Not proven.
Don't forget that when you stop taking it the weight comes back with a little extra beside for good measure...

[Mod edit to align with forum ethos rules.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget that when you stop taking it the weight comes back with a little extra beside for good measure...
Unless they do research on a site like this one, they will not see much in the way of (n=1) testimonials, or see the warnings that others have found. They will trust the doctor on the phone, and will be aware that the NHS approves this treatment and put their faith in the wonders of modern medicine. We few, we happy few, have a distinct advantage in this forum. Forewarned is forearmed, and I wish to keep my forearms intact.

[Mod edit to align with previous post..]

Last edited by a moderator:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

[Mod edit to align with forum ethos rules.]
Slightly off topic, but it also presumes that you stop eating when your brain receives the "not hungry" signals. How do we treat the stomach says full brain says still hungry problem?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slightly off topic, but it also presumes that you stop eating when your brain receives the "not hungry" signals. How do we treat the stomach says full brain says still hungry problem?
Drugs like Ozempic / Wegovy have another trick in the book, If you ignore the stomach full command and continue to stuff your face, then your stomach revolts and you puke,

Simples.
Its like having your own built in dietician . governess . obergefreiter and you will automatically find this drug acts like your own personal gastric band, You will obey..

The NHS treatment plan is for 2 years duration, so be prepared for a disgruntled GP if you decide to withdraw early. Seems 17 months is the minimum period that might be accepted. Oh misery! Fat shaming par excellance.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Drugs like Ozempic / Wegovy have another trick in the book, If you ignore the stomach full command and continue to stuff your face, then your stomach revolts and you puke,

Simples.
Its like having your own built in dietician . governess . obergefreiter and you will automatically find this drug acts like your own personal gastric band, You will obey..

The NHS treatment plan is for 2 years duration, so be prepared for a disgruntled GP if you decide to withdraw early. Seems 17 months is the minimum period that might be accepted. Oh misery! Fat shaming par excellance.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not mine, I'm on Trulicity, very rarely feel hungry, no nausea, no sickness, can still fill my face to the point of bloat on occasion. If my brain tells me it wants a particular food, it doesn't matter what I put into my stomach until it gets the thing it craves

• Informative

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest its all a bit too scary for me, what happened to good old calorie control and exercise etc

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, it's made the news in New Zealand today, but NZ is generally at least ten years behind the UK in prescription drugs so I suspect by the time it becomes available here any drawbacks will well and truly have been demonstrated.

I have no issue with it being prescribed for T2s who it benefits, under the supervision of a GP. Handing it out without proper medical supervision seems dangerous to me.

Disclaimer, I've never used it personally, though I'm a big fan of drugs in their place.