Type 2

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Biggus, read around the forum, loads of good advice.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hya Dan,
have a good read and ask anything you want to know:)

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. Plenty of advice on here, and lots of lovely people to give you support if you need it. There is a lot to take in at first, but all will become clear. I am also type 2 on Metformin diagnosed in February, so still quite new to diabetes.

Good luck
Marilyn

Biggus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys, there is so much to take in as I have other health issues as well but I am sure I will get a handle on this and get every thing sorted in my head.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

delaware

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
don't worry , diabetes type 2 is reversable with the right foods and exersize, educate yourself in what to eat first, it will prevent you from having to take metformin or any other medication. In most cases the unnecessary fats will have to be removed out of the liver and other parts of the body and the simple and easy way to do that is to eat the right foods, eat less and exersize more.

so start with educating yourself about what foods are best and what foods to prevent, from there on things will get better

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Biggus, The first thing you need to do is to get a meter and some strips (if you haven't already done so), to test your bg before and 2 hours after food. Unfortunately, T2 Diabetics cannot get meters and strips on prescription, unless you are very lucky, so you will have to buy your own. Have a look at the Type 2 Forum as most T2 diabetics cut down on their carbohydrates, i.e. cereals, rice, pasta, bread, cakes, biscuits etc., anything made with normal flour is likely to spike your Blood Glucose, however we are all different and some people can tolerate small amounts of carbohydrates. You need to experiment to see what works for you. There is a lot to take in initially, but you will soon find your way around and it will get easier.

If you have any questions please ask, we are a friendly bunch and always willing to help.:D

Good luck:)

Marilyn

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
don't worry , diabetes type 2 is reversable with the right foods and exersize, educate yourself in what to eat first, it will prevent you from having to take metformin or any other medication. In most cases the unnecessary fats will have to be removed out of the liver and other parts of the body and the simple and easy way to do that is to eat the right foods, eat less and exersize more.

so start with educating yourself about what foods are best and what foods to prevent, from there on things will get better
Whether or not T2 is reversible is very debatable. I agree, exercise and low carb diet can certainly help with control and there have been studies on very low calorie diets providing promising results but please refrain from a blanket statement such as "don't worry, diabetes type 2 is reversible' because for many, it is not. Thanks.

Reactions: 13 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Welcome aboard Dan. Love your username btw, that movie is one of the funniest ever :D

Ask whatever questions you need to. I see that you are reading as much as can and yes it is a lot to take in all at once so don't try ;) Read a bit, think about it and then move onto the next bit. One day you will find you have found your individual path to health and might wonder how it happened! :) But persistence is the key to any change in our lives, without it you won't succeed. Keep on keeping on and you will get there.

Good Luck :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

delaware

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether or not T2 is reversible is very debatable. I agree, exercise and low carb diet can certainly help with control and there have been studies on very low calorie diets providing promising results but please refrain from a blanket statement such as "don't worry, diabetes type 2 is reversible' because for many, it is not. Thanks.

for most it's reversible, at least 90%, medication will block the body's natural metabolism to heal and damage the broken system even more, therefore ppl who choose to take meds won't cure and will stay on meds till the end. The best thing to do when you want to get rid of the "disease" is to stricly eat the best recommended foods not more than 1000 calories a day for a month and exersize like half an hour a day. ppl who choose to not go that path will stay on meds for the rest of their lives

Eating a bit more healthy, taking pills, and a little exersize won't change much, drastic changes have to be taken to reverse and that can be accomplished underr a month, wich has been documented and proven.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes

My doctor lead me to believe it was controlable but not reversable

Reactions: 4 people

delaware

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor lead me to believe it was controlable but not reversable

your doctor says its controlable but only if you keep taking your medication..im sure your doctor won't tell it's reversable, he's there to prescribe meds wich never cure the condition, only control and the longer you take meds the more damage will be done to the body...i was wise enough to stop Metformin after only a few weeks and never went back to the doc since and im doing better

K

Kat100

for most it's reversible, at least 90%, medication will block the body's natural metabolism to heal and damage the broken system even more, therefore ppl who choose to take meds won't cure and will stay on meds till the end. The best thing to do when you want to get rid of the "disease" is to stricly eat the best recommended foods not more than 1000 calories a day for a month and exersize like half an hour a day. ppl who choose to not go that path will stay on meds for the rest of their lives

Eating a bit more healthy, taking pills, and a little exersize won't change much, drastic changes have to be taken to reverse and that can be accomplished underr a month, wich has been documented and proven.
I am really not sure that is right, you may be able to gain better control etc, but this is worrying ......it may mislead many people...?So much confusion as there is....taking medication and or exercise can help people a great deal...

delaware

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really not sure that is right, you may be able to gain better control etc, but this is worrying ......it may mislead many people...?So much confusion as there is....taking medication and or exercise can help people a great deal...

i don't agree with you on the medication, i have diabetes II and i got rid of the medication only after 3 weeks when diagnosed...changing eating habits is the key and im not talking about being a little more healthy, you have to go all the way for a few weeks and exersize..if you keep taking pills then your body is adjusting more and more to the meds wich results in becoming dependent as the body is getting more and more incapable of processing sugars the right way...ditch the meds..eat way more healthier and exersize then youll reverse it..the majority of ppl can do it..it takes willpower..bloodsugar is controlable with foods only...meds will damage the liver and more organs

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
delaware, I'm reporting your post because it's dangerous to tell people to 'ditch their meds'
you sound like that born again raw veg guy a week or so ago.

Reactions: 10 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi dan!
There is more than one approach to diet. Many of us have not been given a meter because the advice from the government to doctors is written in such a way that it can be interrpreted to read that they don't have to provide one if you are T2. The strips for most of the meters are £25 a pot for 50. If you buy an sd codefree meter from ebay, you will find that the strips are £7 for 50. Pp is free and delivery is quick. This condition affects us all in different ways so in the beginning you will need to test first thing, before your cup of tea and brekkie - this is your fasting blood sugar. You should then test before eating and 2 hours after.
Initially, I kept a food diary, which helped.
I like LCHF - low carb high fat. I have lost a lot of weight. For more info, www.dietdoctor.com This is written by a proper doctor from Sweden. You can check out his credentials. I did! The other approach which is popular is low GI. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Just a thought....
If you're on meds, don't forget to get your card so that all your prescriptions are free!