Type 2 and Hypos

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Metformin and because of constant diarrhoea for three months,I am now on Glicazide. On both drugs I have had hypos. My HBA1C IS 6.5. My question is a nurse tells me type 2's do not have hypos, Well I have has anyone else had any?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was on Metformin and because of constant diarrhoea for three months,I am now on Glicazide. On both drugs I have had hypos. My HBA1C IS 6.5. My question is a nurse tells me type 2's do not have hypos, Well I have has anyone else had any?
Of course she is wrong. It is probably your glicszade that is dropping your blood levels to low. It all depends on what your dosage is. Are you doing anything different to help the low blood sugar and hypos?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The ignorance of the professionals who treat us is alarming.
I'm T2 and I have hypos and hypers if I don't control my behaviour.

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Please beware that hypos can happen to whoever you are , what type you are and whether you are a db or not ....

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

You can have hypos on metformin ....

Reactions: 4 people

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your comments. I do monitor my blood sugar with a accu-chek mobile and I have read the warnings about them. But they suit me and my life style. I am often on my own in the forest.

As for Glicazide I have only had a few hypos so far, this is being monitored by my GP who I think is very good. Metforman I had 12 hypos on that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2, not on meds, and I hypo. (I do have a couple of other health issues that may contribute).

But your nurse is talking nonsense.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thank you all for your comments. I do monitor my blood sugar with a accu-chek mobile and I have read the warnings about them. But they suit me and my life style. I am often on my own in the forest.

As for Glicazide I have only had a few hypos so far, this is being monitored by my GP who I think is very good. Metforman I had 12 hypos on that.
I love forests and where I live there are lots of them.
I've had to stop going in them though because of my back and legs.
What you doing in there ... just walking?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I may be going way out here but can you tell us what a typical days diet and bloods are? Do you test before and after(2hours)eating?

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love forests and where I live there are lots of them.
I've had to stop going in them though because of my back and legs.
What you doing in there ... just walking?
I take photos for the local wildlife trust it's my hobby and I get some exercise as well. Nice to do something you love and helps my health.

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may be going way out here but can you tell us what a typical days diet and bloods are? Do you test before and after(2hours)eating?
I had cereal for breakfast, lunch can be anything. Today I had a carvery lots of veg. tonight I had sardines on toast and an apple. I test 2 hrs after a meal only. Should I be testing before as well? Bloods are about 9.0 but do very.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You test before because that gives you a base reading, you really don't want to be going above by more than 2.0 after 2 hours. Your tests vary because of the carbs and sugars that you eat. The likes of bread and cereal are filled with them. I would cut back a little bit more.
Do you hypo after not eating after more than 3 hours after eating. Do you constantly snack to stop having a hypo?
Have you thought about your meds?

K

Kat100

I take photos for the local wildlife trust it's my hobby and I get some exercise as well. Nice to do something you love and helps my health.
Sounds like a lovely hobby , fresh air , exercise and wildlife ...all can give the feel good factor and help with health ....
A few forum members here love life outdoors , walking and wildlife etc.....
I met someone on one of my walks who takes great wildlife photos for the wildlife trust in our area ...now it has become my tweeter hobby as well ...

John_D

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2, on metformin and glicazide. At last review (couple of weeks ago) nurse said that they wouldn't increase glicazide dosage due to the risk of hypo.

Reactions: 3 people

Joy Shaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 (recently diagnosed but been in the waiting room for a long time so I knew it was coming), I control with diet and exercise for now. My nurse also told me a couldn't have hypos but I've had them for about 30 years if I skip a meal, along with palpitations from too many carbs, and this was long before I every had an issue with my health. If I have toast for breakfast (around 8am) and don't eat until about 2pm I will get light headed, cold sweats, feel irritated and my stomach will churn and I shake. Once I have something to eat it goes immediately and it is as if nothing had ever happened. My friends who are not diabetics and my partner have the same thing. Our bodies tell us things, give us warnings and if a person is sensitive to changes in blood sugar they will feel it more than someone who isn't whether or not they are diabetic. Obviously we need to have advice from health professionals, and I am sure we are all grateful for it, but knowing your own body and how it reacts is much more important, this isn't something you learn on a training course or out of a text book, it's real life. Nice forum by the way, and very useful for someone like me who is just getting used to the "D" word.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I am type 2 (recently diagnosed but been in the waiting room for a long time so I knew it was coming), I control with diet and exercise for now. My nurse also told me a couldn't have hypos but I've had them for about 30 years if I skip a meal, along with palpitations from too many carbs, and this was long before I every had an issue with my health. If I have toast for breakfast (around 8am) and don't eat until about 2pm I will get light headed, cold sweats, feel irritated and my stomach will churn and I shake. Once I have something to eat it goes immediately and it is as if nothing had ever happened. My friends who are not diabetics and my partner have the same thing. Our bodies tell us things, give us warnings and if a person is sensitive to changes in blood sugar they will feel it more than someone who isn't whether or not they are diabetic. Obviously we need to have advice from health professionals, and I am sure we are all grateful for it, but knowing your own body and how it reacts is much more important, this isn't something you learn on a training course or out of a text book, it's real life. Nice forum by the way, and very useful for someone like me who is just getting used to the "D" word.
Welcome to the Hotel California.

Reactions: 5 people

Joy Shaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
haha, love it - Hotel California! You can check out any time you like, but you can NEVER leave.

I am a singer and I cover that song, now it will have a special meaning for me to make me smile. thanks. :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
haha, love it - Hotel California! You can check out any time you like, but you can NEVER leave.

I am a singer and I cover that song, now it will have a special meaning for me to make me smile. thanks. :)
I've done a bit of singing in the past but my voice is way to deep and rough to pull it off and has been since I was a teenager when I sang in a blues band a few times.
Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen I can sort of manage in the bath but the Beegees!!!!
They make my ears bleed!
I hear the BG'S and I honestly think ... they're taking the micky ... the chipmunks were better.

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Joy Thanks for your comment.