Eating Saturated Fat doesn't increase fats in blood

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
extremely difficult to make someone change their opinion, your basically asking them to admit they have been giving bad advice, you would hope that for the sake of their patients health they would be prepared to accept new things, but i suppose pride stops them from admitting they are wrong or at least accepting the possibility, its similar to the forum, if trusted people said lchf was bad, i would have trouble accepting that as my experience says otherwise and im sure it is the same with the low fat peeps

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
extremely difficult to make someone change their opinion, your basically asking them to admit they have been giving bad advice, you would hope that for the sake of their patients health they would be prepared to accept new things, but i suppose pride stops them from admitting they are wrong or at least accepting the possibility, its similar to the forum, if trusted people said lchf was bad, i would have trouble accepting that as my experience says otherwise and im sure it is the same with the low fat peeps
Yeah but we know they're all wrong! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Uploading popcorn as I wait for the fall out!
image.jpg

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i dont think the point was that low fat raises your trigs, more that eating fat dosent make them rise, it isnt an attack on other ways of eating, more a defense of eating fat

No that wasn't why I posted it Andy, I think we all can have various results from eating a particular diet, some say that it's carbs that raise trigs but I eat them in moderation and have good trig levels, and have done ever since I started to get a fasting cholesterol check carried out.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I have the pop corn please and leave the rest of you to argue out about diets? Looks delish and does not spike me in small amounts!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I have the pop corn please and leave the rest of you to argue out about diets? Looks delish and does not spike me in small amounts!

Me too - only just discovered it!

May start to make my own - but I'm not sure I can be trusted with portion sizes. May be best to stick to the tiddly little 11g carbs/bag that Tescos sell...
But Oh, buttered popcorn. be still my heart!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As many posters know I have to low carb and I have started eating more saturated fat and less mono or polyunsaturated fats.
The recommendation I recieved because of my glucose and carb intolerance was to stay away from anything other than saturated. The polyunsaturated causes the visceral fat around your organs. If you are not diabetic then those fats should be used sparingly as should be all food and fats and drinks.
The last time I hady Trigs done was in hospital. I was on my long fast. Up to starting low carb I had high cholestrol, high blood pressure, high everything!
I can now say that all my readings are very good now. Better than half a lifetime ago in my thirties. My doctor and endocrinologist are amazed at my health and fitness!
That's proof enough for me!
I would recommend my change of lifestyle to everyone and I am spreading the word as much as possible.
Ribs for tea, fat left on and yoghurt and chocolate for supper.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
No that wasn't why I posted it Andy, I think we all can have various results from eating a particular diet, some say that it's carbs that raise trigs but I eat them in moderation and have good trig levels, and have done ever since I started to get a fasting cholesterol check carried out.

im sure there are lots of people that have good trigs and lots that have bad, eating every kind of diet, some could have bad trigs eating LCHF im sure, the point here is that eating fat is not the culprit, if it were, everyone eating lchf would have bad trigs surely? and we are proving this not to be the case

Reactions: 8 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Andy1234 It is not necessary for them to admit they have given bad advice.They have a guide book to follow.
As we are all aware the links that are used by Doctors etc; are currently being upgraded with fresh information which includes your type of diet.
Like you many have had success with your diet and that info; is being monitored.
It is not difficult for someone to change their opinion as I have changed my opinion. However it is wrong to make or force anyone to change just because you say it is wrong.
Like @Brunneria says "Tides are changing" so no need to dwell in the past, its the long term results that seems to be important and we are there now.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This very small study didn't exactly show consistent results as to trigs cholesterol etc Not only did the 16 subjects demonstrate a lot of individual variation (the standard deviations show this) but the average levels bounced up and down throughout the intervention.. Were these 'cholesterol' and trig levels better at 47g or at 179g of carb? .( though this isn't actually the main thrust of the paper which concerns a specific type of fat in the circulation)
volek cholesterol.JPG

For general health, I'll stick to a more Med type diet and Harvard's sensible and evidence based advice.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
im sure there are lots of people that have good trigs and lots that have bad, eating every kind of diet, some could have bad trigs eating LCHF im sure, the point here is that eating fat is not the culprit, if it were, everyone eating lchf would have bad trigs surely? and we are proving this not to be the case

High cholesterol can also run in families (familial hypercholesterolaemia), both my mother and brother had high cholesterol but unsure if there's a history of FH otherwise.

There has been members who have followed a lCHF diet and seen their cholesterol increase, but then again many have seen their levels reduce, I think it's all anecdotal and longer term studies need to be carried out before we get a definite answer.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

The thing is tho' with lower carbers here... I haven't seen one posting that says they have high trigs after low carbing......

My hubby had high trigs 10 months ago.. He been lower carb for 10 months now and also die a blood test, so looking forward to seeing real proof for ourselves.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i think if i waited for long term studies, i would be 6 stone heavier and jabbing insulin, im very happy with the short term massive health improvements, i was given 5 years until major organ failure when diagnosed, should i have waited 20 years to make things happen for myself? i looked at what people here were saying and decided LCHF made perfect sense, im still looking for a reasonable argument against it, at least now i may actually still be alive to see the results of the long term studies

Reactions: 11 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By no means everyone sees their various 'cholesterol' scores improve.

A video posted on here recently (can't remember which one :banghead:, but it was talking about the Aussie cricket team and LCHF sweeping South Africa) quoted a figure of 75% had improved trigs and cholesterol on LCHF. 25% did not. without quoting the study this came from, I am wary of taking it as gospel.

Also, many people starting LCHF experience rises in their cholesterol - connected I believe, to the weight loss. A test during this period will give a very different result from when the person becomes ketoadapted. Consequently, medical professionals may see 'negative' results from the diet, and have all their fears confirmed - when in reality that score was a temporary one, before levels dropped. Not that I am convinced that a low score is better than a medium to higher score.

The only score I am interested in, is the Triglycerides - because of the implications for a fatty liver. The other scores can, in my opinion, do what they like.

Anyone with a familial history of hypercholesterolaemia should be closely monitored. And if they show symptoms, they will be receiving medication. I am unsure of the details, so cannot comment whether dietary fat intake makes a difference to their cholesterol scores. If it doesn't, the question becomes redundant. They are undoubtedly a special case, and really not relevent to a general discussion. Unfortunately, there is so much nonsense information around about dietary cholesterol. Thank heavens I don't have that condition because I would be totally distrustful of anything I was told, even by a supposedly knowledgable medical team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
My LDL went from 2.5 to 2 since June eating high fat,but I dont get another test until a year,which I dont understand,if it can change in six months it can change a lot in a year,and I want to keep tabs on it,they wanted me on Satins in June ,but I refused,
Is there any where i can go and get it done in Febuary?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My LDL went from 2.5 to 2 since June eating high fat,but I dont get another test until a year,which I dont understand,if it can change in six months it can change a lot in a year,and I want to keep tabs on it,they wanted me on Satins in June ,but I refused,
Is there any where i can go and get it done in Febuary?

Ask your Practice for an interim test rather than just an annual routine one. I asked my diabetic nurse for one after 3 months and she agreed readily.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All of my brothers have or had heart problems. One of them died! My father died because of heart failure due to malarial problems. I was heading the same way. Except I was never sedentary, a walking job, a sporting life but I was overweight. The docs had given me the warnings. I was lucky I found low carb before my heart said enough!
For me it is not only logical but important to my life.
I was misdiagnosed as T2 and put on the wrong 'diet' and my health suffered.
Thank whoever for my lifestyle!!!
My heart is really healthy for a man of my age, my bottom number on a BP is in the low seventies. I have not got a fatty liver, cholestrol is in single figures.
One day common sense will prevail!!

Reactions: 6 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
This very small study didn't exactly show consistent results as to trigs cholesterol etc Not only did the 16 subjects demonstrate a lot of individual variation (the standard deviations show this) but the average levels bounced up and down throughout the intervention.. Were these 'cholesterol' and trig levels better at 47g or at 179g of carb? .( though this isn't actually the main thrust of the paper which concerns a specific type of fat in the circulation)
View attachment 8389

For general health, I'll stick to a more Med type diet and Harvard's sensible and evidence based advice.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

That is the point there is a lot of individual variation which was demonstrated as you pointed out and the authors stated.

The fact that the study was small the out comes were statistically significant. This is just one more study that is adding credence to the antidotal observations that many people have reported and the nutritionist seem to dismiss out of hand.

IMO that the major factor in the way of good health is that the base calorie number needed to stay alive is wrong thus making the recommend daily calorie intake much too high to maintain optimal health or good control of BG.

That added with the fact that perhaps 1/3 of the worlds population cannot tolerate over the longterm a diet so high in calorie dense carbohydrate and processed foods - processed foods including pasta and bread.

We are well aware that Dr.Bernstein's approach has been extremely successful over the decades, but one area that is not often pointed out is in reality the number of calories in his diet and life style is very low - many of us would consider bordering on starvation.

I am often amazed when looking at WWII Black and white pictures just how thin and how many people seem to be on the low end if the BMI scale - look at Dr. Bernstein himself.

The bottom line is that we must eat much less of all foods to stay healthy and consume more real foods with real fats and many of us can't tolerate a diet high in calorie dense carbohydrate and fruits.

A side note I've read that during the war when the entire population took in way less calories, the incidents of cancers, diabetes and acute cardiovascular events plummeted

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last Trigs result was 0.5, I don't follow a LCHF diet.
that's a good number and your LDL are all big and fluffy
you take a statin?
you don't lchf but you low carb, I think you said about 150g a day isn't it?
LC low trig...high carb high trigs or take a statin

I take a statin and my last blood was total C 2.7 with trig of 1.2, so even 3 months on a statin isn't a a magic wand drug

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High cholesterol can also run in families (familial hypercholesterolaemia), both my mother and brother had high cholesterol but unsure if there's a history of FH otherwise.

There has been members who have followed a lCHF diet and seen their cholesterol increase, but then again many have seen their levels reduce, I think it's all anecdotal and longer term studies need to be carried out before we get a definite answer.
their LDL can go up or down ..it's 50/50, but it's the number of particles that is important, not the estimated mass that the UK blood test indicates, low trig=good ldl particles
but trigs are down and hdl up
upload_2014-11-24_8-2-29.png
cholesterol

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
that's a good number and your LDL are all big and fluffy
you take a statin?
you don't lchf but you low carb, I think you said about 150g a day isn't it?
LC low trig...high carb high trigs or take a statin

I take a statin and my last blood was total C 2.7 with trig of 1.2, so even a statin isn't a a magic wand drug

No I don't take a statin Jack, it was suggested I should around 3 years ago after I had a health scare (chest pains) and my TC went above 4, the Cardio Nurse thought that all diabetics should be on statins and my Endo at the time agreed, he wrote to my gp and said I should start on them.

However, after a few weeks I made an appointment to see my gp and he said I had excellent cholesterol levels and didn't see the need to start on statins, I had at that point just had Angiogram and everything was fine and this was another reason why he didn't want me to take a statin, after speaking with the Endo again we agreed to agree that we should leave things for now and review the subject a few years down the line. If and when the time comes I'd happily take a statin, did a little research on the subject at the time and think I would ask to start on Artovastatin if I were to take one, of all the statins this seems to have the fewest side-effects.

As for my diet, I don't low or high anything tbh, as my signature says, everything in moderation, on average I eat around 180g of carbs a day (sometimes a little more on a weekend).