Not happy with code free

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. I just tested my waking bg and it was 7.9. I thought this was rather high considering i haven't eaten for 10 hours. So I tested again and got 7.6. Ive done 5 consecutive tests and each one has given a different reading ranging from 7.1 to 7.9. Isn't this a quite unreliable? I used the same finger and blood from the same prick hole so how can it vary so much?

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and which reading should I use, the 7.9 or the 7.1. I didn't have this trouble with the accu one. I just can't get a handle on this at all

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
You would get similar variations with most test monitors. They are just a guide.

Reactions: 2 people

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You would get similar variations with most test monitors. They are just a guide.
Thanks Lenny. I was under the impression that they were really super accurate. That seems like such a huge variation, but then again I am new to all this testing malarkey...

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and which reading should I use, the 7.9 or the 7.1. I didn't have this trouble with the accu one. I just can't get a handle on this at all
Hi, for a while, I took the average of readings done at the same time, but now, accepting the metres aren't fully accurate, I just test once and read more into the 7, 14 and 30 day averages the metre shows. (Would re test though if a reading was way off what I was expecting or reading was concerning)

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, for a while, I took the average of readings done at the same time, but now, accepting the metres aren't fully accurate, I just test once and read more into the 7, 14 and 30 day averages the metre shows. (Would re test though if a reading was way off what I was expecting or reading was concerning)
Thanks daffodils. It is confusing whe you're just starting and learning. I can't figure why it is so high in the morning anyway when I haven't eaten for hours

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
all monitors show different readings even using the same finger
if i have 2 or 3 different readings ie 7.1 and 7.9, then i go for inbetween and say 7.5

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As the others have said, the range between 7.1 and 7.9 is normal, albeit frustrating, and all meters would show this variance on 5 consecutive tests. They are within the 15% allowed tolerance. Also, how on earth did you manage 5 tests from the same drop of blood? Be careful not to smear the blood or let it spread or it will skew the results. If it were me (and I have been there) I would average all 5 readings for your personal records. I would only discard a real outlier.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As the others have said, the range between 7.1 and 7.9 is normal, albeit frustrating, and all meters would show this variance on 5 consecutive tests. They are within the 15% allowed tolerance. Also, how on earth did you manage 5 tests from the same drop of blood? Be careful not to smear the blood or let it spread or it will skew the results. If it were me (and I have been there) I would average all 5 readings for your personal records. I would only discard a real outlier.
Thanks bluetit. It wasn't the same drop of blood, ive always been a good "bleeder" even from the smallest injury so I was able to squeeze fresh blood from the same pin prick for each test strip

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
We all get this I'm afraid. The meters can be up to +/- 20%, although they are usually within 10%. Occasionaly there are 'rogue' batches of strips as well. But longer term trends will iron out these inevitable inaccuracies, and you can still distinguish big spikes from little ones. If you get an unexpected result just retest and average if necessary.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks sanguine, Im feeling a little lest confused after all your reassuring responses. This is all just such a huge learning curve. Hard to believe i ignored it for 4 years. I hope it's not too late to put things right though

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks sanguine, Im feeling a little lest confused after all your reassuring responses. This is all just such a huge learning curve. Hard to believe i ignored it for 4 years. I hope it's not too late to put things right though

It's never too late.
It's all good fun, isn't it ;)

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's never too late.
It's all good fun, isn't it ;)
It has been great so far on this forum, and especially learning about LCHF. Im going to stop using the Internet when I have a query because each search tells you something different. No cheese, no salt, no carbs, no fat, the conflict seems endless. All I know is that i was eating things like Sunday dinner, baked potato, low fat everything (except chocolate) and felt like absolute doggy doo. 4 days doing LCHF and apart from the headache last night ive felt great

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. I just tested my waking bg and it was 7.9. I thought this was rather high considering i haven't eaten for 10 hours. So I tested again and got 7.6. Ive done 5 consecutive tests and each one has given a different reading ranging from 7.1 to 7.9. Isn't this a quite unreliable? I used the same finger and blood from the same prick hole so how can it vary so much?

Muggle, once you have built up a range of data, over a few weeks, and meals, you will have an idea of what to expect. As others have said, all meters can show these variances, and whilst we hear more of the Codefree's variances on here, I am absolutely certain that's because such a high proportion of us use it, and people tend not to shout that, " this Codefree is rubbish, my numbers could never, ever be that good!"

As you know there are dozens of different meters out there, but we choose the Codefree on its simple functionality, and the vital fact it its strips cost a third (or less) than its competitors. In other words, you could be just as grumpy for three times the cost.

I know which I'd prefer!

Reactions: 6 people

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, the accu chek viva i was using set me back £7.05 for every 10 strips I used! I could get through 10 easily on a doubtful day. I simply couldn't afford to use it. I suppose it's just a question of becoming familiar with a new product and having faith in it

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure this will work, first time for everything. I got a SD as it was the cheapest to run and then filled in one of the questionaires and a Bayer rolled up in the post, do being doing a side by side on same droplets..... sometimes the same, sometime Bayer is well lower and then a few with the Bayer being higher, not often. which one is "right"... no idea but for trending they are showing the same... give or take.

Attachments

• Testing SD v Bayer.jpg
    Testing SD v Bayer.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 254

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get a little bottle of control solution (often free - mine from Bayer is) from the different meter suppliers, and these will test the accuracy range of your test strips for you. It's maybe worth getting some if you have any doubts about your meter or a batch of test strips.

If you get a really odd reading, it's worth both washing your hands again, and retesting, and if you're still unhappy doing a test with some control solution. But apparently the glucose level in our blood may be changing all the time as blood's pumped round our bodies, so different readings are not uncommon, What you really need to look out for are patterns or trends in your readings over time, so don't get concerned over the small variations you've seen.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks robbity. I experimented again this evening and found more variation in results with a smaller amount of blood. If there's more the readings seem to be more consistent. So I shall try to prick a little deeper and get a good sample to test and see how it goes

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, 'squeezing' will alter the reading.
I try for a larger drop, it's always more accurate.
I didn't know squeezing made a difference. I usually bleed freely but when my hands are cold i do sometimes need to squeeze. Thanks for telling me that :)