Problems when injecting - Type 2 on insulin

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just wondered how common it is to experience pain on injecting or bleeding from injection site....my partner seems to often experience these when injecting his insulin (Novomix 30 FlexPen / Mylife Penfine Classic 4mm needles).....injecting into stomach area.......is this usual or is there a way of minimising this...

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi molly56
about 1/3 of my injections hurt a bit ( i inject 4-5 times per day )
i don't get blood very often in the stomach

make sure to rotate so do use thighs and bum as well

i tend to do all long acting insulin ( lantus ) in bum and fast acting in thighs and stomach
upper arm is a possibility as well.

pinching an inch and injecting into the soft "hollow" might help minimise pain or bleeding

all the best !

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have just been reading around on forum and am wondering if my partner's injection technique is part of the problem.....he always injects in the stomach area and doesn't pinch the skin when injecting....I have also noticed that he only holds it in place for two or at the most three seconds before withdrawing the needle and saying 'that's done'...

Am i correct in assuming that holding the needle in place for the ten seconds as recommended would allow for the insulin to be absorbed into the fatty layer before withdrawing leading to better overall absorption......and that pain and bleeding would be less likely to occur as insulin would not be leaked out.

Is difficult for me to criticise his injection technique as he is reluctant to listen to what I have to say and thinks he is doing it correctly....however if I can say that holding it in place longer will help to minimise any pain or bleeding perhaps I can get him to try it this way for a while and see if it improves.

As far as injection sites go he has only ever used his stomach as is the easiest part to get to....and don't think (know) he has any particular system in place as to where in his stomach he will inject....would guess that most injections are roughly in the same place depending on which hand he holds his insulin pen in.....i have vaguely mentioned moving the injection site around but he wouldn't remember where he had done it last time anyway...

@himtoo ....thanks for your advice...

S

Shar67

Yes at least 10 seconds, if he injects in the same place all the time he is risking getting lumpy areas that are painful. Maybe he needs to speak to DN to refresh his procedure