Problems getting blood test results!

BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
Having problems with my new surgery - I will add the email I've just sent to the practise manager below as you will hopefully get the jist! Has anyone else had any similar problems?

Thanks

Hi

I am a new patient at your health centre, having moved to the area from Kent recently. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for nearly 15 years. As you may be aware, diabetes is a self-managed condition. In order for me to do manage my diabetes I use a number of different things to help me.
All diabetics are required to have 3 monthly blood test to see how their blood sugars have been and also to check things such as thyroid, kidney and liver function, blood count etc. These are all important to know as it allows me to see how well I am managing it and if I need to do anything differently.
In Kent after every blood test I would either call the surgery and they would give me the numbers over the phone or they would print them off for me to collect.
Since moving to Glastonbury I have had real trouble getting hold of my blood tests results. Firstly they won't give them to me over the phone as they are not 'medically trained'. Whilst I do understand this I am not actually looking for any medical advice, just the numbers so I can see for myself how I am doing.
I came into the surgery today to see if I could get them printed off but the receptionist explained that it would be a £10(!) charge for me to get a copy of my results and just couldn't just give them to me off the screen. Whilst I am happy to contribute to printing costs I feel £10 to see my results is an absolute joke and I actually feel that I am being discriminated against for having a 'self managed' condition which I cannot manage without my test results. She has booked a telephone consultant for a weeks time which I feel is a complete waste of the doctors time as I don't need any advice from them (I am under the care of a consultant at the hospital), and why do I need to wait another week just to get my results??

I would be grateful if you could look into this for me.

Many thanks

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I would request to raise this with the Practice Manager as it seems idiotic.

BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
Ive sent that to the practise manager so hopefully I will hear back from her soon!

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Would be interested to hear what they say when and if they do get in touch.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What a waste of the Dr's time.

If your under the care of a hospital diabetes clinic it's likely that they'll have your latest results, maybe worth asking them if you don't have any joy with your gp surgery.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're not the only one @BethTwydall In recent years, I've had problems getting my results too. I find it very disheartening. I used to use my results as motivation. Now even getting them at all is like getting blood out of a stone.

Mind you, I did get them to print them off once for approximately £2. £10 is ridiculously expensive.

I wish there was a standardised method of getting them whatever surgery you're at. I do feel patronised not being given my results, or just being told the result is "Fine".

Update us about what they say in reply (great letter, by the way)

jodysd6

I'm looking forward to the promise of everyone getting online access to their own records, results and hospital letters! Just hoping my surgery will be quick to implement!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same issue at my practice - the reception staff will only tell me if my A1C is "in range" or not but wont' give me the number as they are "not medically trained" ... I'm therefore forced to make a GP appointment for no reason whatsoever, wasting both mine and the GPs/NHSs time and money. Absolutely ridiculous.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've come to realise how fortunate I am. A week after my GP's blood tests I'm sent a report with all the results. This gives me a week to understand the results before my appt with my DN. I'm therefore ready with any relevant questions I may have.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If your Practice is charging patients for printed blood test results then their should be a copy of their charges displayed for patients to view......

Please ask your Practice to join up as an online Patient with full access to your records.

This will also stir them that you're not just going to roll over and accept!!

All Practices have to offer this online full access service by Apr 2016. Ours already has it. Many have, they just aren't advertising the fact.....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey. I normally get a text with the results from my DSN. Normally to expect in about a week. But a "bing bong" from the surgery within 3 working days... (No charge.) :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: