HbA1C accuracy

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I recall a similar question being asked years ago on this forum but can't find it. Anyway I am seriously doubting the accuracy of the HbA1C tests as I was baffled by my latest result today which came in at 5.0 % (or 31) and was expecting at least 6 %.

The reasons for this were :-

> I had a dental infection for almost 1 month where my blood sugars were continually going high and my fasting blood sugar has been a nightmare.
> I only low carb in for breakfast and lunch and generally eat **** in the evening.

I asked for second test to confirm this but have to wait until March 2016.

Not complaining it's a good result and am more confused than anything. I guess my own predictions are too blame :0

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Factors affecting Hba1C include personal rate of glycation (rate at which glucose attaches to red blood cells) and rate at which blood cells die. When was your infection? The last month's readings have a greater impact than the previous two months as well.

The Hba1C is an accurate measurement of the glycation level of your red blood cells at a point in time. It's not an average blood glucose and shouldn't be taken as such. It's also not a check on the variability of your blood glucose.

Reactions: 4 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Factors affecting Hba1C include personal rate of glycation (rate at which glucose attaches to red blood cells) and rate at which blood cells die. When was your infection? The last month's readings have a greater impact than the previous two months as well..

5/11/15 and its still infected now according to the dentist although not majorly impacting my blood sugar control as before.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In positioning this post, I must make it clear, I'm not T1, have never taken any medication for diabetes, and I am just delivering my personal observations of my personal circumstances.

When I have higher that usual scores, I often have a respondingly low period a while later. Could you be missing a rebound lower (but not hypo)at all?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Wurst, conditions like Anaemia can effect HbA1c results, I'm sure there's a few more but can't think what they are at the moment.

Overall the result is just a guide, personally think everyday bg levels and the SD between all your readings are much more important.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
intriguing
hba1c done by finger prick

now if done by taking blood via syringe
for some unknown reason can be different have no idea by what factor but heck hbac1 that is good even if you had infection you have dealt with it very very good i think you can have done at some chemist
may cost but why worry if it had gone up to 7/8 then poss yes
vic

Dark Horse

Have you been taking antibiotics? Some have been reported to affect the test for HbA1c, giving an anomalous result. Low dose aspirin and Vitamin C have also been known to affect the test.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you been taking antibiotics? Some have been reported to affect the test for HbA1c, giving an anomalous result. Low dose aspirin and Vitamin C have also been known to affect the test.

In way do antibiotics affect the result , false high or false lows I can't find any info on this? . I only took them for 4 days at the beginning of November , ~ 1 month before the HbA1c test

Dark Horse

In way do antibiotics affect the result , false high or false lows I can't find any info on this? . I only took them for 4 days at the beginning of November , ~ 1 month before the HbA1c test
I think that antibiotics would only be likely to affect reliability of HbA1c if taken around the time the blood sample is taken for testing.

Factors lowering HbA1c measurements:-

"Any condition that shortens erythrocyte survival or decreases mean erythrocyte age (e.g., recovery from acute blood loss, hemolytic anemia) will falsely lower HbA1c test results regardless of the assay method used"
"Drugs that falsely lowers HbA1c levels include dapsone, ribavirin, antiretrovirals, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, hydroxyurea, vitamin C, vitamin E etc."
http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g2867/rr/69

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies, so it must be a relatively accurate result and I must have pretty good control to get within +/- 0.1 % every test.