Blood Sugar Levels and Heartbreak

meatpie48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning,

this is the first time on here but it's my only real source to answer my questions.

Over the the last 8 months I have separated from my wife and kids. My blood sugar levels were impeccable during this time and it was one thing that I kept vigourous control of. When I left the relationship it was the last resort and it was the only option to improve a poisonous home life for everyone involved. It broke my heart leaving my kids but leaving my wife was a weight off my shoulders and I felt free and positive.
Since then I met a wonderful person, this was the person I had been looking for all my life. She brought a positivity and outlook to life which I never knew existed. Unfortunately last week, just 2 days after my birthday and when I made it clear to her that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her she told me that she couldn't because she was still in love with Ex. She said that it would be fair because she would have her head turned by him and that is not the 100% commitment that she wanted to give.
This has absolutely broken my heart. From the low point of being without my kids, she rebuilt my heart and now it has been shattered.
Despite trying to carry on in as normal fashion as possible, by leaving alcohol alone, trying to maintain exercise my blood sugar levels have gone absolutely mental. My sensitivity to insulin has dimished & I'm finding that I'm having to double dose, which in itself is worrying me more due to the likelihood of having a hypo.
Has anybody else ever encountered such effects on physical health? A broken heart can be mended eventually but this has me baffled.

Many thanks for reading and I appreciate all comments.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@meatpie48 I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's very unfortunate. I suspect that the reason you are seeing the decrease in insulin sensitivity is that it has brought extra stress into your life, whether you realise it or not. As you are probably aware, stress causes cortisol and adrenalin release and this in turn can cause higher blood glucose levels.

I know it's not much help, but once you have got past this, and life has returned to some form of normality, it's likely that your glucose levels will too. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
its odd though because the first time round it had no effect on my levels.

See your point @meatpie48, you'd expect the stress on both occasions would effect your bg control.

Really hope you find someone soon who is willing to share their life with you, good luck and best wishes.