Helen_S-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mood swings
Hi
I was diagnosed May last year, hba1c was 60 but due to being very symptomatic I was put straight onto 2 metformin daily (changed to sr after a few weeks. Regular check in October had me down to 50. After feeling unwell early December I got checked and hba1c up to 73 and told sodium levels & bp are low (I have been on meds for high bp for 10 years!)
Was put up to 3 metformin and off the bp meds. At the beginning of January I signed up for the great north run (I have done some running before no more than 3-4K). First 3 weeks of Jan I ran 3-4 times a week and joined SW, lost 15.5 lbs since then but not run for 10 days now due to feeling weak, muscle aches, cramp. Tested last week and hba1c was 113! Now on 4 metformin and 1 gliclozide 80mg and now testing myself regular. My numbers are averaging 26-29 and tonight it registered hi.
Since my diagnosis I've eaten a decent diet and lost over 35lbs, my dn says I'm doing everything right and the spike may be down to a clump of beta cells dying but these numbers are worrying me massively.
Any advice or suggestions to help me get my numbers under control would be welcome!

Sorry it's a long read but just wanted to put as much info down as possible.

Thanks, Helen

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since my diagnosis I've eaten a decent diet and lost over 35lbs, my dn says I'm doing everything right and the spike may be down to a clump of beta cells dying but these numbers are worrying me massively.
Hi Helen, This diet is unspecified but may be a clue. Are you taking in more carbohydrate for energy, as this is what is normally the advice given to athletes to boost muscles? in fact, recent reports suggest that as a T2 you would benefit by swapping to a Low Carb, Higher fat diet. The Low carb part would have a direct effect on your bgl levels, and lower them significantly. The increased fat is to provide energy to compensate for the lower carb input since your body will switch to ketogenic (i,e, fat burning) mode when it finds low carb /low glycogen levels.

There is an LC subthread on the Main Forum menu which will explain this type of diet. There are other similar diets such as Atkins or Paleo that will also give good results for bgl, but it is the increased fat that makes LCHF so workable. The fat reduces carb cravings and gives better satisfaction than the other LC diets.

Now you are testing, you can see the effect of lower carbs from day 1, but also log your weight and if you are losing it too rapidly then increase the fat intake, it is as simple as that. However, I found that my Gliclazide was taking my bgl a bit low, and i was having to up my carbs to avoid hypo. Now i omit the gliclazides, and get better readings without hypo.

If an LC diet does not drop your bgl quickly, then you need to go back to your team and have further testing (GAD test) to confirm your diagnosis as a T2.

One other thing if you do start LC diet is that you need to increase salt and water intake. Also avoid the athletes energy boost drinks like the plague. Electrolyte replacement drinks are also suspect. if in doubt test before and again 1 hr after taking one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Helen_S-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mood swings
Was finally diagnosed as late onset type 1 this week and am now on insulin. Hoping to start feeling better very soon!

Reactions: 2 people