Migraine - med supply problem

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently dealing with a migraine, onto day 5 now. I've had a lot of aura and nausea with this one. I am on pizotifen as a preventative to migraines but I'm on a low dose of it. I have very limited supply left and I found out there is a problem with manufacturing of the drug and a current shortage due to no supply. argghh.

I see my doc today because I've not been able to get into work this week other than for half an hour when I had to go home because of the fluorescent lights affecting me. So now I have to also discuss a change in treatment because I can't just wait as I will run out of supply and that will trigger another migraine on me. I only need to miss one dose of this med for a migraine to start.

So I'm hoping there is a good alternative. My sugar levels have been going crazy on me. I've been having hypos in my sleep as well as wake up hungover and sugar too high compared to the usual.

Anyhow I thought today I was feeling somewhat better that was until I let sunlight into my house and suddenly I'm nauseated again and seeing stars when I walk about. My eyes clearly haven't recovered and it probably means my migraine hasn't completely gone like I thought it may have. It's weird as soon as the nausea starts, I start getting some pain again as well.

Anyone else here suffer from migraines? What treatment do you use?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually have sunglasses trifocals which I wear whenever lights bother me but sometimes I wonder which eye condition has caused the problem or if it is a migraine. Have Fuchs dystrophy and very mild cataracts, both of which can cause problems with lights.

Have you seen a neurological opthamologist?

Hi Galja

Yes I do see an ophthalmologist. I just recently saw a neurologist.

I know my migraine trigger though so don't think it is my eyes that is the problem. It's my hormones that trigger them. I just get migraine with aura. I seem to get all the symptoms with my migraine. Sometimes I get absolutely all the symptoms, other times I don't. This particular one that has just gone gave me real bad nausea.

On a good note I just got a phone call from my pharmacy to let me know my med has arrived and I can come and collect. So that takes the worry I had away about having to taper off the drug. I can just continue as normal now.