Dropping blood sugars - week 24/25

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies,
A strange one... I expected that by now my sugars would be starting to creep up and that I would need more insulin but the opposite has happened! For the last 10 days, I have had to eat a lot of extra food to be able to match my normal insulin and have even reduced my basal overnight to try and stop so many lows.
Has anyone else had this?
I am going for an extra scan on Wednesday to check that everything is ok but baby is still active and heart rate is fine so i am not too worried.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@courtenayjane I can't remember who it was, but I think there was a thread about hypos at a similar stage in pregnancy (I think) Sorry I can remember the details. If you do a search in the Lregnancy section you should find it. It was in the last few months.

It's good you're having the scan. Always best to check :)

Is there anything different you can identify that may have caused the lows? Change of routine? Change of food? Change of injection/pump site?

Carole_Type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies, it was me who posted the thread last month when my sugars were lower than my diabetic team expected :) Just to give you an update - there still hasn't been a dramatic increase and I'm now 30 weeks. My consultant initially said this could be a sign that the placenta wasn't working properly so I was sent for fortnightly scans from 26 weeks (which I am still attending) but everything is progressing fine so she has concluded that my insulin needs are normal for me even though they don't match the standard average. So my advice would be don't worry and just enjoy all the extra times you get to see your baby at the additional scans :)

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news @Carole_Type1 :)

Just shows we're all different. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well (the last few weeks go quickly, I found) :)

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Week 28 now and sugars still low! Am now on less basal than I was before pregnant. They can't figure out why. Baby is very active and all scans are totally normal - I had an extra scan two weeks ago to check the placenta and all was fine, then scanned again yesterday and all fine again.
I guess that every body just does pregnancy in its own way!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Week 28 now and sugars still low! Am now on less basal than I was before pregnant. They can't figure out why. Baby is very active and all scans are totally normal - I had an extra scan two weeks ago to check the placenta and all was fine, then scanned again yesterday and all fine again.
I guess that every body just does pregnancy in its own way!

How long have you been diagnosed? Could it be to do with that?

You're right that none of us follow the textbook : D

Glad everything is going ok :)

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
18 years ago so I think it should be pretty settled by now...well it was until baby came along anyway!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol : D Pregnancy is certainly a unique adventure for each of us!