Type3?????

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wellwellwell wots type 3diabeties never heard of it before today.ive now got type 2 had it for 4 years i think and im definately not over weight. I also have chronic pancreatitis i had that for well over 20 years got it when i was 20.docters always said it was due to alcoholism which i never believed although i did drink a little bit as i was in the army at the time.the pain ive been through with it i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.anyway a few years ago i met for the first time some older uncles of mine who both had pancreatitis which obviously means that my problem is hereditary my sister is type 1 has been for 40 odd years .i allso have had mega heart problems ive had 5 heart attacks the 5 th put me in hospital and i would say that pancreatitis hurts more other than that i feel great and none of my ailments bother me .im supposed to take 9 creon 25000 a day i take only 3 have don for donkeys years although i dont drink alcohol anymore i will have the odd wine for my heart im allso on metformin and glycozide i will have a sugar binge at work as i use a lot of energy works great more often than not i need to eat to raise my levels as they are often low to the point im shaking slightly any enough said think i will be up for a pancreas and heart transplant in a few years hehe

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Type 3C is caused by pancreatitis so your story definitely sounds as though you fit the bill. Basically (I'm no expert) the pancreatitis has/is killing your pancreas so you cannot control your BG levels and/or the release of glucogen from the liver - all of this is to a lesser or greater extent depending on how much damage has been done. It is a fairly new classification I think.

S

Shar67

you need a blood test to determine what type of diabetes you have, you don't necessarily become type 3c you may have 1.5 or 2 or 1 depending on age etc, if you are type one diabetic and develop pancreatitis you don't automatically become 3c you need a blood test, you may find that you have been diagnosed as just diabetes mellitus, some GPs & Non diabetes consultants don't know what type 3c is so go for the nearest treatment type usually type 1.
Also your daily finger prick test may be telling you you have low or high BG at that time but you need a HbA1c test as this is the one you need to be low to stop getting diabetic neuropathy etc.
You would have to know what caused uncles pancreatitis, hereditary pancreatitis is very rare and is linked to cystic fibrosis, testing is done at Liverpool.
It may be worth asking your diabetes nurse or consultant to test for 3c, type 3 without the c is different

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

@Andrew Colvin , type 3c isn't only caused by pancreatitis, injury due to accident or operations can cause pancreas to become damaged, or as above post cystic fibrosis can damage panc

Reactions: 2 people

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A year ago my docter said i was type 1 i refused to give in and told him to give me different tablets which were glicclozide they work well and my levels are excellent otherwise i would have been prematurely condemned to a life of injections

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes well i have blood tests every 6 months sugar levels great just been reading about 3c and its deffinately wot ive got down to a t dont know about the cystic fibrosis though

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Never had accident or operations infact reckon i suffered from it when i was a kid the doctors kept putting me on lucozade and baby food

M

mrspuddleduck

Yes well i have blood tests every 6 months sugar levels great just been reading about 3c and its deffinately wot ive got down to a t dont know about the cystic fibrosis though
@manwalk. I am not a doctor but am surprised you think you are a 3C. If you are only taking 3x 25000/Creon a day it is likely that you still have a significant exocrine function. And you have CP and still drink alcohol which for most of us would mean hospitalisation!! Can I ask what percentage of pancretic degeneration have you got? (I presume they are regularly monitoring you through MRI and endoscope).

M

mrspuddleduck

Type 3C is caused by pancreatitis so your story definitely sounds as though you fit the bill. Basically (I'm no expert) the pancreatitis has/is killing your pancreas so you cannot control your BG levels and/or the release of glucogen from the liver - all of this is to a lesser or greater extent depending on how much damage has been done. It is a fairly new classification I think.

@Andrew Colvin type 3C is NOT caused by pancreatitis. If it was it would not be such a rare condition!! 3C is a result of the destruction of both the beta and alpha cells within the pancreas which is accompanied by pancreatic exocrine insufficiency. Most people who have pancreatitis (either acute or chronic) DO NOT develop type 3C diabetes.

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@manwalk. I am not a doctor but am surprised you think you are a 3C. If you are only taking 3x 25000/Creon a day it is likely that you still have a significant exocrine function. And you have CP and still drink alcohol which for most of us would mean hospitalisation!! Can I ask what percentage of pancretic degeneration have you got? (I presume they are regularly monitoring you through MRI and endoscope).
if you read it correctly i am supposed to take 9 tablets a day i take only 3 becouse i choose to and i **** regular and not liquid i will take the odd extra tablets when i reckon I've eaten to much fat i did not say i still drink alcohol at all i will have the odd glass of red wine for my heart since i was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis calcified i have spent 4 months 3 when diagnosed a1 month ten years ago when i returned from living in france there must have been such a drastic change in diet i had a large cyst in my pancreas the only pain killer that worked was pethadene nobody has checked me i was diagnosed in a military hospital in france when i was 20 years old saw dockters over 10 years ago professerr xxxand prof xxxat gloucester an not seen anyonbe since seems if you aren't presenting a problem they don't bother with you same for my heart had 5 heart attacks 2009 and see a docter every 3 years for a driving medical

Medical professional's names removed by Moderator.

M

mrspuddleduck

if you read it correctly i am supposed to take 9 tablets a day i take only 3 becouse i choose to and i **** regular and not liquid i will take the odd extra tablets when i reckon I've eaten to much fat i did not say i still drink alcohol at all i will have the odd glass of red wine for my heart since i was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis calcified i have spent 4 months 3 when diagnosed a1 month ten years ago when i returned from living in france there must have been such a drastic change in diet i had a large cyst in my pancreas the only pain killer that worked was pethadene nobody has checked me i was diagnosed in a military hospital in france when i was 20 years old saw dockters over 10 years ago professerr xxxand prof xxxat gloucester an not seen anyonbe since seems if you aren't presenting a problem they don't bother with you same for my heart had 5 heart attacks 2009 and see a docter every 3 years for a driving medical

Medical professional's games removed by Moderator.

@Mawalk48 no offence but I did read it correctly. You have stated that you can survive and function well in relation to your exocrine system by taking 3 x 25000 Creon a day. That would indicate that you should still have significant exocrine function of your own but need a 'top up' of Creon to support your pancreas.
You also said in another thread (quote) "Its not rocket science eat wot you want when you want just make sure you burn some sugars and you will be fine i am i eat anything anytime". The ability to eat anything is sadly not conducive to pancreatic exocrine insufficiency to a degree that would support a 3c diagnosis, and is one of the reasons that 3C is a brittle form of diabetes. The inability to absorb fats, carbs and proteins means that there is less or no regulation of the ratio of sugars and insulin
Edited for spelling

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Mawalk48 no offence but I did read it correctly. You have stated that you can survive and function well in relation to your exocrine system by taking 3 x 25000 Creon a day. That would indicate that you should still have significant exocrine function of your own but need a 'top up' of Creon to support your pancreas.
You also said in another thread (quote) "Its not rocket science eat wot you want when you want just make sure you burn some sugars and you will be fine i am i eat anything anytime". The ability to eat anything is sadly not conducive to pancreatic exocrine insufficiency to a degree that would support a 3c diagnosis, and is one of the reasons that 3C is a brittle form of diabetes. The inability to absorb fats, carbs and proteins means that there is less or no regulation of the ratio of sugars and insulin
Edited for spelling
had chronic pancreatitis for long time i used to mess myself all the time and would be in so much pain i would be curled up on the floor last had it to be exact 15 years ago had a large cyst in my pancreas was in hospital for over a month on pethadene only thing that would calm my pains so as you say i must have some function though becoming type 2 is the start of things to come and will eventually end up type 1 as all doctors have said to me over the years although my t2 at the moment is excellent i don't dwell on any of it now and eat most things that dont seem to affect me but keeping sugars down is getting easier i'm tired if im high and shaky when low but doc said to me dont dwell on it carry on as usual and slight changes to diet will suffice and hes right he did want to put me on insulin not so long ago but i said no try some other tablets gliclazide which seem to work well any way im on 16 tablets a day for heart , pancreatitis and diabetes and to be honest i have always know in myself that all my ailments are related in some way. i said earlier has any one tried to take creon during meals with a drop of water without the plastic capsules it does work a lot quicker this was advice given to me by prof barr gloucester royal hospital

M

mrspuddleduck

@Mawalk48 It sounds like you are doing really well, and only you can take the credit for that! As much as the doctors can advise us (or not sometimes) really its all about how we manage our lives on a day to day basis. It's lovely to hear from someone who actually feels their symptoms have improved! Respect!!!!:)