Trigger Finger/De Quervain

LPP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

As a teenager I was an extremely badly controlled diabetic, but I am now a reformed character and happy on the pump. I have had a bit of a struggle with retinopathy but that's all settled down now. In the past year we've moved to a farm and I do a lot more lifting/work with my hands than I ever did before, but I developed trigger finger a few months ago in the little finger of my right hand- I had it operated on to release it rather than go through steroid treatment which has limited success with diabetics and would mess my sugars up. Operation a complete success and finger back with 100% range of motion and pain subsiding by the day.

I thought I'd sprained my wrist on my left hand, but it's not really healing and is really quite painful the day after I've used it a lot, I googled this morning and I'd be 99.9% confident it's De Quervain's (same condition as trigger finger but in the thumb/wrist region).

Have any other diabetics experienced this as a complication or are my tendon troubles likely to be another genetic condition? If it is diabetes related (which would make sense given that it is related to tendon swelling/inelasticity) is it something that settles down (am I jumping the gun in having it operated on again?) or something that needs treating regardless of diabetes?

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Hi @LPP, I have had trigger finger in both thumbs, had a tendon snap in my left long finger and I'am due to have a carpel tunnel release operation next month. I had the injections into the the tendons at the base of my thumbs (which stung alot) and had 2 injections into the carpel of both hands. Like you I was a very bad young diabetic, the wrists were done in my early 20,s and when the carpel tunnel came back I just bought some wrist splints for my hands instead of going back and having them done again. This is why I need the operation next month as the muscle at the base of my right thumb is wasting away, I had some nerve tests done last year and this showed severe nerve damage in both hands and feet.

If I were you I would make an appointment to see your GP even if it is not related it will let you know either way

Boating

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have trigger finger in all my fingers and thumbs all have been operated on, only one complication ( doctor used a dirty knife infection not good )but over it now all is good, about one year to recover from all surgeries performed every 6 weeks until completed.
I would recomend the surgeries for trigger finger not carpel tunnel surgery on me did not work four times they tryed

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been diabetic for 43 years and have had 5 fingers operated on for trigger finger -first was 19 years after diagnosis of D.

number 6 ( forefinger of left hand) is acting up at the moment and I had a steroid injection to keep me going but I will need an operation in the next year for sure.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
only ever had the injections for trigger finger, no operstions as of yet

ahh @himtoo you started on the pump on my 45th birthday :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Boating

Type of diabetes
Type 2
no pump just 36 units 4 times a day plus 1 long acting I have so many holes in me one day I,ll make a great founten.

Reactions: 4 people

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trigger thumb here. Apparently very common with both diabetes and hypothyroidism. It has improved dramatically with getting blood sugar and thyroid levels under control. I had been expecting to have an injection - but may not need it now.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I am developing what I think is a trigger finger (middle finger) in my right hand. To be honest my diabetes has been poorly controlled for a long time too. I can see injections/surgery coming soon.