Look doc, I'm not diabetic!

Saint1970

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi guys, I thought I would join here to get some expert opinions (yours) on a situation I am in. Ok so when I was a builder I would eat on average 15-20 bars of chocolate a week and about a dozen bags of crisps. I am 6'3" and weighed about 17 1/2 stone but active at work. In 2012 I had to go and have some bloods taken for whatever reason and was told that my sugar levels were high (which wasn't a surprise with my junk eating). I was asked to eat less rubbish and was tested again about a month later. My second results put me about .2 over normal and classed as diabetic. I was never put on any medication, never asked to test my levels, nothing. I was sent numerous eye test and medical appointments but I never went as I put my results down to my love of chocolates. Since then I have had my blood tested about 5 times and every time they have put my levels smack bang in the middle of normal. I still eat about 5 bars a week and some crisps but not as bad.
So this week I went docs for a bad shoulder and he asked how I was handling my diabetes ( so after 5 mins of I'm not diabetics, yes you are discussion) I want to know if the word/diagnosis diabetic can be removed off my record and replaced with high sugar levels or something? This has major implications for me with insurances and stuff. I don't think I should be classed as diabetic just for having 2 high level counts over a 3/4 year period. I mean if you get drunk twice over the same period rather than tipsy are you classed as a drunk for the rest of your life? TIA for any advice or help

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Saint1970

Do you know what your blood test results were? Were you given any numbers?

Did your Dr retest your blood on your recent visit?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You should get a copy of all your lab results. Generally speaking, people without diabetes always have non-diabetic blood glucose levels regardless of what they eat. The criteria for diagnosing type2 diabetes are rather generous, so if they were high enough to be diagnostic of type 2, it's unlikely the diagnosis was wrong. If you were diagnosed with type 2 you should be getting blood tests every3 months or so. These results should confirm whether you have type 2 or not.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Saint1970 and welcome to the forum! From what I understand once you have gone into the diabetic range (HbA1c 48 or above) you will always be classified as diabetic. I was classified as diabetic last September with a HbA1c of 49. I have since brought it down, but will always be diabetic.
It will affect the cost of insurance for me, but I have to declare that I am diabetic as otherwise any claim on the insurance would be invalid because of non-disclosure of a pre-existing condition.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my view, you will not be able to have the diagnosis removed from your records, unless the bloods were actually below the diabetic thresholds, at diagnosis. the only way you would know that is to ask for a print out of your from your date of diagnosis, until now.

From my personal experience; I was diagnosed on one set of bloods, and since then, my bloods have all been in the non-diabetic ranges. My stats are in my signature.

During a discussion with my GP, about something else, we entered into a discussion about when I would begin to get some credit for reducing my bloods. By that I mean, and more moderated view on "all diabetics x, y or z", with no recognition of my current decent blood state. At that point an agreement was reached that I should be recorded, on my records as "Diabetes Reversed".

The diabetes diagnosis meant my body was behaving as a diabetic at the time of diagnosis, but now I have been fortunate enough to have coaxed my body to revert to a more normalised state. The diagnosis is a statement of considered fact, on that day, on the evidence before the Doc. After all, one wouldn't challenge a diagnosis of chickenpox a couple of years later, just because the spots had gone?

As a well controlled T2 diabetic, the implications for insurance and so on should be minimalised, provided you state your case clearly to insurers. It may mean a bit more explaining that someone who has never been diagnosed. There are some classes of insurance that might be a little more of a challenge, but the fact you have has a series of non-diabetic tests is in your favour. If I were an insurer though; and I make this statement as someone who has worked for a major Life Assurance company alongside actuaries, underwriters and pricing analysts (those who make the decisions as to whether an individual is a decent insurable risk, and what any premium might be), you will not have done yourself any favours for not having all the associated checks, on your eyes etc. That could be viewed as non-compliance on your part.

For travel insurance - even longer term, long trip insurance (longer than 90 days duration), I h ave never, ever had any premium loading or exclusions, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that aspect.

I would say you should get your blood results, if you have any intention of properly challenging this. I would say, if anything, you have a far better change of having yourself reclassified as Diabetes Reversed, or In Remission - whichever terminology your GP might see fit.

Of course, that's probably not what you want to hear, but I have tried to address your apparently underlying concern from both a diabetic and insureres' standpoint.

Reactions: 2 people

Saint1970

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi guys, I had my bloods taken Friday so just got to wait for results. I can't let this lie as it has major implications and I believe I should be re diagnosed. I've never been given details of my results just told they're normal. This time I want numbers. It's not as though my levels are diet controlled as the only change was I stopped my 2-3 month rubbish binge 4 years ago lol. I think they should take into consideration any results from before diagnosis date which would show true results.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, I had my bloods taken Friday so just got to wait for results. I can't let this lie as it has major implications and I believe I should be re diagnosed. I've never been given details of my results just told they're normal. This time I want numbers. It's not as though my levels are diet controlled as the only change was I stopped my 2-3 month rubbish binge 4 years ago lol. I think they should take into consideration any results from before diagnosis date which would show true results.

What are these major implications you speak of? If we understood what those were, it could help folks give supportive responses.

Saint1970

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Mainly insurances, possible medical treatment and tbh being wrongly classed as diabetic. I don't want to be penalised for something I'm not just because of one high result and one just over the threshold.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get a print out of your numbers @Saint1970 Don't be palmed off with a "Fine" ""A bit high" or whatever.

That way you'll have much better information, and will then know the situation more precisely.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mainly insurances, possible medical treatment and tbh being wrongly classed as diabetic. I don't want to be penalised for something I'm not just because of one high result and one just over the threshold.

For some insurances it would be unlawful to load the premium or conditions due to diabetes. If anything, I would say as a diabetic, you probably command better medical attention than non-diabetics, due to the perceived belief that bits are about to drop off. For example, even in my Reversed state, I as first on the theatre list for a recent operation, which I called an enormous result. Less waiting around. Shorter fast, and most importantly the attention of the surgeon before she was fatigued by a long afternoon's slicing and dicing.

I'm curious how you feel you would be penalised.

Maybe I just decided to get on with my life and treat my diabetes like an unwanted little brother - pay it attention because it is very much in my best interest - they have a way of getting their own back if you don't, but not to let it get in the way of me doing what I want to do. I can honestly say I have never experienced any discriminatory or antagonistic issues with the condition.

I haven't told many people, because frankly, few people are genuinely interested. They have issues of their own to address on a day-to day basis. Diabetes entered my life, unwelcome, so I just keep it on the periphery and keep a close eye that it's not closing back in on my life, because I'm not interested in pandering to any brattish little brother.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't have a little brother. :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Saint1970 did you have a fasting blood glucose test, a HbA1c test or a glucose tolerance test?

If you had a simple fasting blood glucose test which measures just one specific moment in time then it is possible to get a false reading (high or low) as illness, stress, dehydration etc all effect BG levels.
Most GPs use a glucose tolerance test after a single fasting test is high, but not all. You need to find out which tests you have had and what the numbers were.

Just because your GP didn't tell you to test or give you medication mean you are not diabetic. I am T2 i was told not to test and eat carbs and lean meat and oily fish (I am a life long veggie!!)

In my experience I have had to shop around but I have found insurance companies that don't increase my premiums, its my OH who has a bad back that raises the premiums (he is also in SE in construction industry)

Saint1970

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Well that's it, neither the nurse nor doctor have said take this medicine, don't eat this food or do eat this food or check blood levels. I never feel hyper or hypo, I eat what I want and do a little exercise, I don't control my food intake nor calories. I mean yes I went through a couple of months when I really went on chocs and rubbish but I was working hard and needed the boost! Plus I was sleeping on site. As in my op imagine if you drank say 5 units a week but partied twice, got paralytic and branded an alcoholic just because of two 'results' . I will ask for test numbers so I can show and discuss with another doctor who may be more open to my opinion.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You can have type 2 diabetes without experiences any symptoms or feeling hypo or hyper. It's very typical for HCPs not to give much advice upon diagnosis. Also, having been classified as type 2, when they say your lab results are "normal", they could still be in the diabetic range, as they may have meant normal for a type 2 diabetic. I hope you have non-diabetic lab results, but be prepared for the alternative. For type 2 diabetes, two results in the diabetic range is considered diagnostic. Given that 2/3s of people are overweight and eat rubbish, yet only 10 to 20% of people have type 2, there's a good chance you are type 2. However, it is possible to reverse it and even get your type 2 designation removed from the files.