Book Recommendations/Authors

S

Shar67

Do you get books via kindle Amazon, charity shop, library or buy in bookshop
I do, library, charity shop (conveniently next door to library), Amazon.
I also use library electronic borrowing, I can download up to 8 books for 21 days, if I finish before 21 days I can return and get another or if I haven't finished it can borrow for another 21 days as long as I renew before the 21 day.
I'm working my way through James paterson's books just now, though it's hard to remember if if already read some.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an ereader so have many books on there. I also use the library for those older books I cant get for the ereader. And I use charity shops for even older books that take my fancy. If I really like a book I'll buy it too offline

Have read some of James Patterson, he nowadays seems to write in collaboration with an up and coming author

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just accidentally bought A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman as a real book. I wondered why it wasn't downloading, when out of the blue it dropped through the letterbox as an Amazon parcel. It's a really good read, but boy is the print tiny. Not good for someone who has just had a cataract opertion and has no longer got any correct glasses to cope with one eye now normal vision and one severely short sighted. The ability to enlarge print is something I really value in my Kindle.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The beauty of kindle is I can read it without my reading glasses! (But nor long or in the sun)

I use kindle 95% of the time. It's easy to read because of my useless thumbs!

S

Shar67

The James Paterson ones I downloaded from library are audio books, love someone reading to me, I have kindle app on my tablet so can get them from there. It is great to change size of font

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have recently read a couple of books by a lady called Lucinda Riley. I loved them so much I've just ordered the rest from the library. Very easy going books with characters you get enveloped in. Try Girl on a Cliff, Hothouse Flower

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The James Paterson ones I downloaded from library are audio books, love someone reading to me, I have kindle app on my tablet so can get them from there. It is great to change size of font

I've never tried an audio book, might look into that :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with Nosher - I can't manage without my Kindle now as muy eyesight is no longer what it was - AND I ran out of space for "real" books some years back.:wideyed:

Robbity

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We did a sort of grown up gap year, travelling round Europe in our van. I didn't have a Kindle then and getting enough books to read was a nightmare. I read Wolf Hall 3 times during the year out of sheer desperation. Swapping with fellow travellers was a hit and miss affair, but I did come across books I'd never have picked up if in a bookshop - like my first western and a Micky Spillane detective thingy.

I would not be without my Kindle now and following a recent cataract op being able to change the size of the print is invaluable.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just finished reading A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman: absolutely brilliant.

Mrs hay-char bought it for me, apparently because "it's about a grumpy late middle-aged man". Harumph..... :D

Reactions: 2 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just finished reading A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman: absolutely brilliant.

Mrs hay-char bought it for me, apparently because "it's about a grumpy late middle-aged man". Harumph..... :D
I've just finished this too and loved it. If you like this you might also enjoy The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson and Roy Bradbury and The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just finished this too and loved it. If you like this you might also enjoy The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson and Roy Bradbury and The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
I read, and enjoyed Harold Fry. I haven't read the 100 year Old Man but I think Mrs hay-char has it on her Kindle so I'll have to borrow it off her for a few days.

:)

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I have recently finished "The First Men in Rome" by Colleen McCullough which I enjoyed so much that I bought the second volume in the series. Brilliant evocation of Rome at the height of its power and very readable. I shall finish the whole series, I have no doubt. When I retired I made a promise to myself that I would take the time to catch up on the classics that I never got around to reading and I have polished off Les Miserables (in English, naturally), The count of Monte Cristo, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, the complete short stories of Guy de Maupassant (excellent) and some books by Charles Dickens. That's the beauty of Kindle books - the classics are often free or very low priced. I am currently reading War and Peace for the 3rd time and enjoying it just as much as the first time. As far as modern books go, I am into Wilbur Smith, Jeffrey Archer, Jonathan Kellerman, Jeffrey Deaver (diabolically cunning thrillers), the occasional book from my childhood years such as Just William (what a comic character he is), Enid Blyton (the Faraway Tree books are still amusing) and the Valley of Adventure and its sequels are enjoyable and carry me back to my childhood (and that's a good few years ago, I can tell you).

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love the Women's Murder Club book series by James Patterson. They are a Crime & Thriller series. I love reading all that kind of stuff as they are so gripping and remind me a lot of CSI type shows which I love. There's 15 books in the series and I think a 16th is coming out soon. Each book is different from the last but it has the same "main characters" in it. James Patterson is a very good author and he has some excellent reads.

N

NicolaB70

Hi. I don't know if anyone is interested but I've found a great site for free books of all genres. It's called NetGalley. All you basically do is to sign up for free and you choose books to read and then give the book a review. The majority of books are newly written and haven't been published yet, hence the review. I have downloaded a few now that haven't hit the shelves yet and quite enjoyed them.

Reactions: 4 people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I don't know if anyone is interested but I've found a great site for free books of all genres. It's called NetGalley. All you basically do is to sign up for free and you choose books to read and then give the book a review. The majority of books are newly written and haven't been published yet, hence the review. I have downloaded a few now that haven't hit the shelves yet and quite enjoyed them.

Ty for that. I'm always on the look out for something different to read. I'll have a look at that site :)

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh, I've read both of those as well and absolutely agree! Jonas Jonasson also wrote The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden - it's also very good. In a similar vein The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 by J B Morrison and The Unexpected Vacation of George Thring by Alastair Puddick. All very silly and highly entertaining!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading a series of books by Diana Gabaldon started with a book called Cross Stitch (now re-titled Outlander). Have read Dragonfly in Amber and now onto Voyager.

Based around a story of a young woman who gets transported back in time via a henge in Scotland and the part she has to play in the life of a Highlander

The reason Cross Stitch was renamed was because one of the tv channels picked up on the story and made a series out of it, called Outlander. I know Tesco are selling season 1 and 2 at the moment