newly diagnosed Type2.

Evezzr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello to everyone, diagnosed yesterday! Feeling a bit confused (loads actually) know about good diet, but dr has said I need to speak to diabetic nurse and earliest appointment is a week monday, , so until then im in limbo ! Eating sensible feeling tired light headed and just so down! Any way hope I can get some advice here to help me thru the next week xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Evezzr , welcome to the forums .. I am going to tag @daisy1 who will be along soon with lots of really useful information.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Evezzr

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will help you in your food choices. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello Evezzr :) Welcome to the Forum. Have a good read of the information daisy1 has provided and if you have any questions? Just ask - someone will come along and offer sound advice. We are all friendly and helpful to each other on this forum. William.:)

Evezzr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both my head is spinning at moment, im used to low carb diets in past and never felt better! But now I have to really watch what I eat it's a bit scary, even one slice of organic wholmeal bread with houmos for lunch made me feel drunk! Lol x

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Evezzr and welcome to the forum! It is all confusing when you first get that diagnosis and it takes a bit of time to get your head around it all, but there is a lot of good advice and support on here.
a lot of people on this forum, including me, have found that a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating has reduced our blood sugar levels.
Do you know what your blood sugar (HbA1c) reading was on diagnosis?

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Drink plenty of sugar free fluids, and avoid white rice, bread, pasta and potatoes.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks both my head is spinning at moment, im used to low carb diets in past and never felt better! But now I have to really watch what I eat it's a bit scary, even one slice of organic wholmeal bread with houmos for lunch made me feel drunk! Lol x
Wholemeal bread has a lot of carbs too, though it is more slow release than white bread. A lot of people on this forum eat Burgen Soya & Linseed Bread which is lower in carbs. It is available in most supermarkets.
And LIDL High Protein rolls (29p each) have less than 10g of carbohydrates per 120g roll. They are nice toasted.

Evezzr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, yes I lo that soya and linseed, ,, I spose for a while it's go be trial and error, to b honest I'd prefer to cut out bread as I lo lo t much :) x

Evezzr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are kuko wholegrain rice cakes ok? (I think that's their name Holland and barret) thanks x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello,Evezzr,welcome, have you got a meter yet, prob' not eh, don't worry, just steer clear of carbs as much as poss' drink plenty of water and exercise as much( under the circ's ) as possible. All these things will help bring your bs's down,
Remember diabetes is a disease of the nerves, and can make us feel low,your not alone here,plenty of long time posters who will help

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello to everyone, diagnosed yesterday! Feeling a bit confused (loads actually) know about good diet, but dr has said I need to speak to diabetic nurse and earliest appointment is a week monday, , so until then im in limbo ! Eating sensible feeling tired light headed and just so down! Any way hope I can get some advice here to help me thru the next week xxx

Hi....I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and saw my diabetic nurse last week by that time i'd read up on quite a lot of stuff so pretty much knew everything she told me i've gone from 30.6 BC to 6.6 today after shepards pie replacing potato with butternut squash. I've cut out sugar where possible and slowly cutting out carbohydrate foods. I test my blood before and after food and make a note of any change so i know what not to eat in future. I know it can be tough but once you get on the right path you'll be pleased with yourself and the progress you've made :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Wayne36 - Well Done.:) And are you just diet control? Or do you take medication for your Diabetes.

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Wayne36 - Well Done.:) And are you just diet control? Or do you take medication for your Diabetes.

I take 2 metformin twice a day i know that plays a huge part in lowering my B/C but i hadn't taken any for 2 days because the the DN said there was an abnormality in my liver but she phoned today to say everything's fine so started taking them again

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I take 2 metformin twice a day i know that plays a huge part in lowering my B/C but i hadn't taken any for 2 days because the the DN said there was an abnormality in my liver but she phoned today to say everything's fine so started taking them again

Actually Wayne, Metformin play little part in blood sugar control, very small in fact - they lower it by a just a wee bit. So, congratulate yourself, the numbers have come down because you are eating the right things!! well done!!:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Wayne36 - So you are OK with the Metformin, because a lot of people get tummy upsets and/or diarrhoea, constipation? If this should be the case with you? - Don't suffer, it can be changed to a slow release version of Metformin. If you have any questions? Just ask and someone will come along and answer. Keep doing what you are doing.

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Wayne36 - So you are OK with the Metformin, because a lot of people get tummy upsets and/or diarrhoea, constipation? If this should be the case with you? - Don't suffer, it can be changed to a slow release version of Metformin. If you have any questions? Just ask and someone will come along and answer. Keep doing what you are doing.

I had the flu jab last week when i got home i took my metformin and i had bad diarrhea it was like water (sorry for being too descriptive) lol but i've been fine ever since so maybe the flub jab had a bad reaction to the metformin. Thank you for asking :happy:

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually Wayne, Metformin play little part in blood sugar control, very small in fact - they lower it by a just a wee bit. So, congratulate yourself, the numbers have come down because you are eating the right things!! well done!!:)

oh that's good glad i can take credit for it lol :)

Reactions: 6 people

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
I'm not doing that great on Metformin at all. I started with the standard one, 1 weekly then increasing to 2 weekly. I was meant to increase it until I got up to 2x500mg twice daily, I never made it to that.. Abdominal pain and diarrhoea too much. Gp then switched me to the SR Metformin and within 4 days of taking it the same thing. So now he wants me to take Glixicide?? but warned me that I could experience hypo/s on this.. I really don't want to take it, as I'm a bit of a worrier all the time, I would probably be sleeping and thinking I'm having one! He also says they have to provide me with a meter and strips when on this medication.. I haven't started taking it as yet, as I'm due my next HBA1c in a few weeks and wanted to see if my change in diet etc has affected the results.. As you will see from my signature, mine was a bit on the high side so I am hoping for a miracle

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @just_undiscovered_ Have you got the meter? You need to be testing before each meal and then 2 hours after. A lot of people keep a food diary, listing b.s. before, what they ate and then b.s. 2 hours after. By doing this it allows you to see what foods raise your b.s. so you can change your diet. :) William.