How can I use coconut oil

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading that coconut oil is very good for people with diabetes but how can I use it?
Thanks
Carol

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading that coconut oil is very good for people with diabetes but how can I use it?
Thanks
Carol
I've been using it for cooking breakfast and meat for lunch/dinner. I need to check on any saturated fat content though I think. Problem with cholesterol at the moment.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have porridge for breakfast every morning and I put a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil in it In the bottom of the bowl so it isn't floating on top. This stops the porridge spiking me. I also fry with it eggs and sweet potato chips. I roast with it too. My bad cholesterol has gone down good cholesterol has gone up. I suffer very dry sking so use it externally as well.
I'm on very powerful opiates so also eat a spoonful a day just as it is and this stops me ever getting constipated. Better than the prescribed stuff and the doc actually agrees with me for once.

Last edited by a moderator:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use it for frying and cooking. Works well with any dish

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started using MCT oil in my coffee these last few days - keeps me from hunger until way past lunchtime.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Oh yeah I have it in coffee too.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often put a teaspoonful in my coffee or bedtime cocoa. It definitely helps stave off hunger pangs whatever else it may do! :D If I'm cooking for myself, I've sometimes used it for frying.

But have a look too on Google for recipes for fat balls and low carb "Bounty Bars".

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Does it improve blood sugar control as well as cholesterol ?

Adding coconut oil to a bowl of porridge can reduce the spikes from the porridge.

Due to stomach problems I have had to add in a bowl of rice krispies into my breakfast... But as a T1 the rice krispies can really spike my bloods. Adding a melted teaspoon of coconut oil to the rice krispies lessens my spike. I also as a T1 have had to alter timing of my jab but I believe the best thing has been adding the coconut oil....

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow I'm really surprised by this! I never really believe in foods that can help diabetes but I might give this a go! Quick question- I see people using this for cooking, isn't coconut oil sweet?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Does it improve blood sugar control as well as cholesterol ?
In this way it improves control for me ... if I have a bowel of porridge for breakfast it spikes me too much to make porridge viable but by bunging the oil in I can enjoy my porridge. I'll go from around 4 or 5 on my meter to around 9 and eight is my red line ... 8 or over is a no no. I consider 8 to be the point where damage to my nerves organs etc is occurring. So If I'm around 4 or 5 in the morning and have porridge with oil I rise to maybe 7.5 or 7 something but don't get to my red line 8. If I'm 6 or 7 in a morning I don't have porridge even with the oil. That for me is eating to my meter. I've taken to putting creamed coconut and coconut oil in some of my green smoothies now as well. Having this raised fat intake ... full cream this that and the other no semi skimmed fat free stuff ... I feel fuller for longer which is also a bonus. If I have a bullet proof coffee with my porridge ... coffee with butter and coconut oil in ... I don't feel hungry or have the slightest desire for food till around 4pm ... that's from around 8.am. My wife reminds me to have a sandwich sometimes because she reckons it can't be good for me going that long without food all the time but I have now stopped having bullet proof coffee every morning. I often have a jam and cheese sandwich for lunch. The cheese stops the jam from spiking me meaning I can enjoy my wife's home made jam again ... she grew fifty pounds of strawberries last summer! I lathered it in butter also but I've recently discovered that instead of butter spread some coconut oil on instead. Or a little of both. On Burgen bread or similar.

donig

Wow I'm really surprised by this! I never really believe in foods that can help diabetes but I might give this a go! Quick question- I see people using this for cooking, isn't coconut oil sweet?
You can also get coconut vinegar for making salad dressings with which is low GI which is great too. Extra virgin coconut oil is not sweet, but is a functional fat which has shown to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) levels. It contain medium chain triglycerides (MCT's) which can be metabolised by the body as fuel which some studies have shown to help with fat loss. Here is a UK source for great coconut and natural health products that I use www.red23.co.uk

donig

Adding coconut oil to a bowl of porridge can reduce the spikes from the porridge.

Due to stomach problems I have had to add in a bowl of rice krispies into my breakfast... But as a T1 the rice krispies can really spike my bloods. Adding a melted teaspoon of coconut oil to the rice krispies lessens my spike. I also as a T1 have had to alter timing of my jab but I believe the best thing has been adding the coconut oil....
There are 5 main factors that effect post meal blood sugar levels.
1. The volume of CARBs
2. The GI/GL level of the foods
3. The presence of FAT in the meal
4. The presence of Protein in the meal
5. The presence of Fibre in the meal
That's probably why the coconut oil has affected your blood sugar level. Its useful to consider all of these factors when preparing any meals or snacks. I like to make sure I have protein with every meal as that also helps control satiety (feeling hungry) or fullness.

DashingDave

...not quiet up there with Cannabis but something of a wonder food.
I use it on my hair and seems to promote growth and texture. Might try leaving it on overnight with tin foil wrap.
Prob need to go to the barbers the next day :).

Reactions: 8 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't cook with it as I can't bear the smell and I don't even want to think about it in coffee - we are talking oil, not coconut cream? I use coconut cream in currys and sauces.

But my nails are now very strong and without flaky splits since I started adding it to my own hand cream concoction. My husband has very dry skin that tends to split on his fingers and that has totally stopped since using it. So I'm happier to apply it than consume it.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow I'm really surprised by this! I never really believe in foods that can help diabetes but I might give this a go!

For many diabetics (often type 2s) diet is often a very large part in controlling their diabetes, not necessarily because a particular food might be a "miracle" cure :wideyed:, but for the simple reason that too many, or the "wrong" type of, carbohydrates are the main cause of elevated glucose levels for us. So instead of relying on them we include more fats and oils as an alternative energy source because these don't raise our levels.

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people