6 years.

MsF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
So im a type 1 diabetic. Have been for 6 years. Im 19 now and till this day i just cant accept my condition on a whole. I used to be negative about my diabetes probably up to the age of 16 but after that point ive just become so relaxed about it almost to the point where i dont focus any energy on it what so ever.
Its sort of like a "oh yh im a diabetic let me go and check my sugar and take insulin" type of thing currently. (Its bad i know)
its not that i dont know what to do or how to look after my diabetes its just that i dont prioritise it the way i should and im having what i call shock and realisation that i need to sort my s*** out
just wondering if theres anyone else in the same situation and how they deal with it all ???

C

catherinecherub

Hello @MsF and welcome to the forum.
I have moved your post to the Type1 forum in the hope that you will get some replies. You are not alone and I am sure that other Type1s, regardless of age, will tell you that they have been where you are now.

Take care.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MsF you will find many of us who have been long term T1 have gone off the rails at some point. I would say having been fairly laissez faire myself the last 30 years (never mind as a teen!) you can get away with it for a long while but it does catch up with you eventually. So do as I say not as I did, every bit of care and attention you can pay now, even if not perfect, I guarantee will pay dividends in the future.

Reactions: 7 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey MSF, have a read through some of the posts on the type 1 site. If you do you will find this is more common than you think, many others have the same conversation, you are certainly not alone. Everyone has a different way of handling it, it only becomes an issue if you aren't taking your insulin and are regularly running high. How you mentally cope is up to you.

I guess in an 'AA' fashion, you have now come clean so know you want to make some changes, that's a huge positive, you obviously care about yourself and your future.

Do you test regularly and take you insulin ? What are your day to day BG readings like ?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
its not that i dont know what to do or how to look after my diabetes its just that i dont prioritise it the way i should
I was totally the same at your age, and unfortunately I didn't get a kick up the a*@$ and carried on for another 20 years. I spent so long with an 'ignorance is bliss' state of mind - if I don't test and know my glucose is high well it can't hurt me - so so wrong and am now having loads of laser for retinopathy.

I used to sometimes try to get things perfect and get it wrong and then give up again, but I agree with @steve_p6 - every day you can keep yourself controlled will help. Hopefully with the support of the forum you can learn from our mistakes :)