Rechargeable pump

asher4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wish they could come out with a pump that was rechargeable after a month instead of buying triple A batteries and if you for a battery you could plug it to a charger and so many mins later poof it's charged or one that you charge at night like a cell phone...it would seriously be so much easier...

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst that would be nice I fear that a rechargeable pump wouldn't last as long as it does with batteries. I mean phones these days barely last a few days. I made a mistake this month and forgot to order batteries with my other supplies so have to go out and buy my own. Whoops!

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How much do the pump companies charge for batteries? 4x AAA Lithium batteries from Sainsbury's cost £7 and last a couple of months or so. If the pump company is charging more than that then I think we should just buy our own - as it seems to me to be wrong that they can charge more than a going rate for something so readily available.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
ypsomed ( omnipod) supply the batteries free of charge

a set of 2 triple A lasts about 3 weeks in my PDM

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think I'd want a rechargeable pump. As @Nicola M says, I dont think it'd last as long. Also, it'd be awkward and annoying having to plug it in to recharge at night (how long would it take? Would you need to disconnect it?) And what if you were abroad and forgot your charger or conversion plug? It's much easier to get batteries.

On my old pump my batteries lasted 9+ weeks, and my current pump's batteries are approaching that (not actually measured but around 8 wks I think).

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
medtronic charge £5 for 4 AA alkaline batteries, think cheaper than the shops

C

chris lowe

Problem with rechargeable is they have about 1000 charges before they start losing the ability to charge fully. 10 AAA/AA batteries £1 in Poundland.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
medtronic charge £5 for 4 AA alkaline batteries, think cheaper than the shops
That's extremely expensive. 4x Duracell Power Plus Alkaline batteries cost £3.80 from Sainsbury's, so they are effectively generating at least a £1.20 ( or 32%) markup that the NHS is paying.

Isn't the Cellnovo a rechargeable pump?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Much like @Nicola M I wouldn't fancy the idea of rechargeable pump for the very same reasons. you can buy the AAA batteries quite cheaply from the likes of Screwfix & Toolstation, same as @himtoo mine last around 3 weeks before changing.

asher4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Plus I was at work and don't get me wrong I always have batteries but the place to the battery is what I mean it took me getting someone else to open it even tho I don't tighten it so much

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Plus I was at work and don't get me wrong I always have batteries but the place to the battery is what I mean it took me getting someone else to open it even tho I don't tighten it so much

What pump do you have? I've never had a problem opening the battery compartment. I have a little tool that came with my first pump, but I've also used a coin.

asher4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always use a coin and idk how but sometimes it tightens way to much then when I do to loosen it I can't and I've actually broken the cap because of it

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always use a coin and idk how but sometimes it tightens way to much then when I do to loosen it I can't and I've actually broken the cap because of it

I'm not T1, never mind a pump user, but wanted to comment that no gadget is ever perfect.

A least with replaceable batteries you can always carry them with you. Recharging a gadget, unexpectedly isn't always that convenient, I'd think. For instance, yesterday I spent a couple of hours in an airport awaiting a flight. We then had a short delay, then a 9 hour flight, then drive to the house. Recharging could have been tricky for much of that day.

Of course, that's not a typical day for anyone really, but the same could be true of a day of meetings, a conference, power outages (rarely planned), travel delays of all manner. Then every now and then rechargeable batteries need to be replaced, or at least that has been my experience with gadgets.

I appreciate in some countries batteries are more expensive, per unit, than in UK, but surely, like most places, if you use a lot, you would be able to find a supplier from whom you can buy in bulk at a discounted rate?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yes, it's really important not to over tighten it. I believe it can damage the casing aswell as the battery cap itself. I always follow the guidance in the pump manual about how much to tighten it as it's quite specific for different pump models. It generally needs to be 'done up' but not tight.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
ypsomed ( omnipod) supply the batteries free of charge

a set of 2 triple A lasts about 3 weeks in my PDM
Lmao they charge your PCT at an over inflated price for them. I've seen what Animas charge for the energizer batteries (£4 each) so buy on the net for approx. £1.50 each

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Lmao they charge your PCT at an over inflated price for them. I've seen what Animas charge for the energizer batteries (£4 each) so buy on the net for approx. £1.50 each
after reading this thread again and your most recent response my "light bulb" clicked on.
i have only been pumping for 4 1/2 months so the pack of 8 batteries came in my starter pack and I have some round the house already too ( tv and dvd remotes seem to gobble them ).

did not think of it in terms of ongoing cost etc etc.

I will ask my DSN what they get charged and will source myself in the future.

Reactions: 3 people

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's extremely expensive. 4x Duracell Power Plus Alkaline batteries cost £3.80 from Sainsbury's, so they are effectively generating at least a £1.20 ( or 32%) markup that the NHS is paying.

Isn't the Cellnovo a rechargeable pump?

wow that's terrible, i always thought that was cheap. i will def buy my own then! don;t want to give medtronic any extra NHS money. i had a faulty box of infusion sets off them the other week. i asked them to send me a replacement and not charge the NHS once again, luckily they did.

I don't know, I only know the T Slim that is rechargeable.