Sleep Apnoea

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've read on DCUK that sleep apnoea increases risk of getting diabetes but is it possible to develop sleep apnoea after being diagnosed with diabetes ? I have had diabetes for 5 years now and I am going into hospital this Monday as an inpatient for a sleep study in the Respiratory Unit.

I appreciate any replies.
Edward.

S

Shar67

Well I developed it after the diabetes, mines is a mix of meds and poor sleep patterns.
You wear a monitor that checks oxygen levels during test, they take readings from this to determine if you gave sleep apnea, my mum also had it but she had an op in the back of mouth to stop it.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you can develop sleep apnea independently of diabetes (and you can) then you can develop it before or after diagnosis of D.

I understand it is often linked to weight and collar size, and am sure that sleep position and probably many other things are involved.

Good luck with the tests.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Where I work we have several residents who have had or still have sleep apnoea which has come on both before and after being diagnosed with diabetes - and also without being diagnosed with diabetes at all. I don't think it has much to do with diabetes, as @Brunneria says, it all seems to boil down to weight issues, especially the size of the neck. Those sleep masks the sleep clinics supply that open airways by blowing air work very well.

My brother in law had it very badly and fell asleep whilst driving on a motorway (he was lucky to survive) he started off with the mask but then felt well enough to attempt dieting and lost his sleep aphoea after the first couple of stone..

S

Shar67

I don't think I necessarily comes down to weight my mum was 98lbs I was 110lbs, we both worked years of night shifts, and my doc said it is one of the worse things you can do to your body, throw in some opiate meds that cause shallow breathing, perfect for sleep apnea

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, I agree about working nights being bad for your health. I finished constant 4 on 4 off 12 hour night shifts last September and I can honestly say that my health (and sleep pattern) still isn't back to what it should be.

S

Shar67

I started doing 3 shift system 6/2 2/10 10/6 the 10/6 was for 7 days straight then 3 off 4 earlies 3 lates 1 off then nights.
Then it changed to 4 on 4 off I stopped last year, sleep doc thinks it is highly unlikely to get a proper sleep pattern

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Thanks for replying - not a lot of people talk about it on DCUK, will get the results of my sleep study back within 6 weeks.