What's on your shovel list?

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, so I'm reading a book at the moment, the character has a 'shovel list' about words/phrases she hates so much that she wants to hit people over the head with a shovel!
An example from the book is, "here's the deal."

Now, I've had some pretty stupid/cringeworthy things said to me over my time as a diabetic...

The latest which really made me cringe came from a meeting with one of my diabetic team. I am now on the omnipod, so have had extra appointments in preparation. This meeting was with another nurse as mine was on holiday, now she is a bit of a know it all and can be patronizing and no bedside manner.

We were talking about ketones, and how the meter tells you to check your ketones, if your sugar is too high, as most do now. I know full well what ketones are I have been diabetic 18 years but appreciate that u have to be more aware of them on the pump.

Her exact words were, "if the meter says 'check ketones' u need to STOP! And think, O.K. am I able to break down fat!?"

Shovel list! Shovel list! Shovel list!
I do think it was one of those moments where she would have walked off and cringed!

I don't know why that one made me cringe but having read the book, that phrase is on my shovel list. Every time it says 'check ketones' I hear that phrase in my head, thankfully it hasn't said it too often!

What's on your shovel list?

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

The word tranche,
  1. a portion of something, especially money.
    "they released the first tranche of the loan"

Why not say a portion, or half or quarter etc why use a word that was originally used regarding government funding.

Also in my honest opinion, what were you thinking about giving a dishonest opinion and finally having good fun, would bad fun not be good fun as it was still fun.

I have another word but it makes me cringe just thinking about.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
But, you are diabetic?

Where is that shovel? Grrrr!

Reactions: 7 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I don't know about this being diabetes related but I loathe " If I was him(her/you) I would..." - Well you're not him/her/me so keep your opinions to yourself!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
"You need starchy carbs for energy" :meh:

EDIT - Was this a question for type 1's only?:oops:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
''You don't look like a diabetic''.............................???????????????????

What does one look like :confused:

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to work in a sales training environment.This was in the nineties and through to very early noughties.Just when americanised management buzz phrases ( buzz phrases !!) became fashionable with some. Some of the worst examples : " low hanging fruit" " we need to think out of the box" " it's time for some blue sky thinking" and my personal most hated "We'll need to chew the fat on this one". Utterly meaningless and pretentious.I believe there is a T.V. show called the apprentice where this kind of thing still appears acceptable.So glad to be in a completely different line of work.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Can barely bring myself to type this, but... "Moist"

Shudder.
Same here - I hate the word 'moist' makes my skin crawl!!!!! And.... 'gusset'- ewwwww

I also hate 'blue sky thinking' - and 'singing from the same hymn sheet and 'take one for the team' - or any of those dated buzz phrases. In fact they rather make me giggle when my manager says them trying to show us she is trendy.

Oh yes, again my manager who says things like 'I must support you in this' when she has absolutely no intention of doing any such thing.

About diabetes - my pet hate is being asked if my sugars are low when I'm justifiably angry about something. Almost as bad as years ago being asked if it was 'that' time of the month.

S

Shar67

Well that's defo two words that must never be said together moist gusset lol
There's no I team

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that's defo two words that must never be said together moist gusset lol
There's no I team
@Shar67
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
That took all my willpower not to have to say those words together. PMSL!
Thank you I needed to laugh.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, spiders, heights, clowns, enclosed spaces, and of course Justin Beiber and JLS. So the standards, really. ;)
I'm obsessed with Supernatural, and every time Sam says "So get this" I want to slap him over the head :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Going forward on this'
'Look on it as a challenge'
'Outcome based accountability' - i mean, ***!?!
'We've all been where you are'

I've got more, but even typing these made my skin crawl.
Gotta go have a little lie down, to recover.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Every time someone tells me about a diabetic they know who never has any problems and finds it all so easy :-( Happens 3 - 4 times a year and really grates me ......................