What are the vivid dreams all about?

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yet another question for my fellow RHers. I have always had very vivid dreams, sometimes very distressing. They stay with me until well into the morning, making me feel anxious and generally out of sorts. I am also quite restless to the point of my mum saying I should check into a sleep clinic (she often has to share a bed/room with me on holiday poor thing).

This is another thing which has improved since starting LCHF...yippee! I actually woke myself up laughing last night and was singing in the shower within 30 mins of getting up.

Can anyone explain the link between carbs and sleep patterns. I must admit I am finding this fascinating and I am a total convert to the point of boring family and friends to death!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started a thread about dreams, ages ago... Will see if i can find it.
Here you go.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/to-sleep-perchance-to-dream.66098/

In answer to your question, i have nightmares if i get low bg AND stress.
The worse they are, the more likely i am to sleepwalk.
That can be... interesting.

I rarely remember my dreams, but my goodness, when i do, they are INTENSE.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You have well and truly joined the RH club!
If you can find your way to the blogs forum, I have wrote about a few of my adventures in dreamland.
I have asked this question before, but I really don't know, my endocrinologist doesn't know, does anyone?
Do you have a lot of deja vu?
Do you find yourself in pain in your muscles and joints?
Do you find marks or bruises that weren't there before sleep?
Yes, it does take it out of me and yes, low carb does tone it down somewhat!

I can remember being ill as a kid and having really good vivid realistic dreams in full Technicolor.

I think it must be fluctuations in high and low bloods, I don't know for sure but it got worse when I went through my hypo hell!

Go to top of page and click on blogs, fish my blogs page and read them.
There is a link under my post for my first blog.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Also, thinking on, it was also when my sleep was so disruptive, I was a bag of s.....!
For quite a while!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night's dream was a stonker!

Teleporting into a Turkish tiled bath complex (Victorian design, but Turkish atmosphere) where we were looking for Ancient Chinese Fu Dogs. Luckily, had my two dogs with me, to act as go-betweens to explain to the Fu Dogs that we were not their supper.
Awesome.

blood glucose was stable all night, according to my Libre.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Vivid dreams can be either pleasant or frightening. They have a variety of potential causes, from deeper systematic woes to simpler dietary hiccups. Provided they are not associated with any adverse health effects, vivid dreams can be a tool for achieving more lucid dreams and increased awareness while dreaming.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Last night, I had all my family including the grandkids working for me at my low carb restaurant. It was packed all night and people were getting thin, there and then!

Think my half watching kitchen nightmares had something to do with it but don't know why!

Think rrb may have something there. It's funny how much I remember of them.
I think I have the full repertoire of vivid, lucid and nightmares, they are rare and the ones that give me my aches and pains and the restless sleep patterns, worse when I was hypoing a lot!

Another recent one, a best friend of mine, now not with us, were playing darts in a pub and he couldn't miss and I kept missing, he would keep saying, 'keep your arm straight, no, not that one! every time it was my turn. Weird hey!

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
You have well and truly joined the RH club!
If you can find your way to the blogs forum, I have wrote about a few of my adventures in dreamland.
I have asked this question before, but I really don't know, my endocrinologist doesn't know, does anyone?
Do you have a lot of deja vu?
Do you find yourself in pain in your muscles and joints?
Do you find marks or bruises that weren't there before sleep?
Yes, it does take it out of me and yes, low carb does tone it down somewhat!

I can remember being ill as a kid and having really good vivid realistic dreams in full Technicolor.

I think it must be fluctuations in high and low bloods, I don't know for sure but it got worse when I went through my hypo hell!

Go to top of page and click on blogs, fish my blogs page and read them.
There is a link under my post for my first blog.

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me

I have a lot of deva vu and frequently wake up with bruises that weren't there before. Quite often I feel like I have run a marathon in my sleep...lots of dreams of trying to get somewhere (usually the same place which is familiar but isn't, if you know what I mean), it seriously wears me and my sleeping buddy out. My ex husband eventually slept in another room as I was so restless. Well, that kind of killed the marriage!

Seems to be improving with LCHF in that I still dream but they are much less vivid and I wake refreshed :)

Feeling a bit annoyed today (understatement) that I have put up with all these symptoms for years and been wrongly medicated for anxiety and told to eat high fibre and low fat blah blah. Grrrrrr.

I'll check out your blog, thanks!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. Thanks for getting back to me

I have a lot of deva vu and frequently wake up with bruises that weren't there before. Quite often I feel like I have run a marathon in my sleep...lots of dreams of trying to get somewhere (usually the same place which is familiar but isn't, if you know what I mean), it seriously wears me and my sleeping buddy out. My ex husband eventually slept in another room as I was so restless. Well, that kind of killed the marriage!

Seems to be improving with LCHF in that I still dream but they are much less vivid and I wake refreshed :)

Feeling a bit annoyed today (understatement) that I have put up with all these symptoms for years and been wrongly medicated for anxiety and told to eat high fibre and low fat blah blah. Grrrrrr.

I'll check out your blog, thanks!

Oh yeah, grrrrrrrrrr!

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night's dream was a stonker!

Teleporting into a Turkish tiled bath complex (Victorian design, but Turkish atmosphere) where we were looking for Ancient Chinese Fu Dogs. Luckily, had my two dogs with me, to act as go-betweens to explain to the Fu Dogs that we were not their supper.
Awesome.

blood glucose was stable all night, according to my Libre.

Wow...that was a spectacular one :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually that was a pretty typical.
When I discovered what the word 'surreal' meant, I remember thinking 'Ah, just like my dreams then!'
;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think I've put in a blog that at one stage in my hypo hell era, that some days I didn't know the difference between dreams and reality. In fact I could remember more of my dreams than everyday life. I have missed so much of my grandkids lives!
That's surreal!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think I've put in a blog that at one stage in my hypo hell era, that some days I didn't know the difference between dreams and reality. In fact I could remember more of my dreams than everyday life. I have missed so much of my grandkids lives!
That's surreal!
I have been through phases of that in my life and I'm not RH (well, I'm fairly sure I'm not) . It has, however, always corresponded to food anomalies in my life. The only thing I can liken it to was when I used the 24 hour nicotine patches to give up smoking.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it all back! Last night I was deep cleaning and carpet shampooing a carpet in a flat, before moving in. Every square foot, twice, to make doubly sure.

It was harrowing.

What a waste of a night's sleep!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take it all back! Last night I was deep cleaning and carpet shampooing a carpet in a flat, before moving in. Every square foot, twice, to make doubly sure.

It was harrowing.

:confused::eek:
Awful!!

(ROFLMAO)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

It was harrowing.

That's awful, last week, I was brushing the beach of jellyfish, who were running away somehow!
Think this was to do with my childhood when Portuguese man o war, (jellyfish) filled the local beaches. Could it happen twice?

I was cooking bread (ho hum!) For the army night before last.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vampires, last night (I was one).
Something to do with blood bags being unsuitable, because they weren't at body temperature, and microwaves killing the nutrient value.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder about my unconscious, I really do!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Last time I had a vivid dream I was in hospital and the dream was like that scene from The Shining where Jack Nicholson was crashing through doors with an axe except this time it was me with the axe - and I can remember really enjoying it. Scary. The nurses said I had a big grin.

I often have dreams that I'm cleaning - but not beaches or random carpets though. Always so disappointing to wake up and find I haven't really done it. :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is a short post as I'm feeling rough today because of my dream last night, I do really feel like I've gone ten rounds with a heavyweight champion.

I was in a queue for something, it's irrelevant what it was, but things got heated up and ended in a tug of war over some sort of big fish, next thing I know all hell had let loose, food fight, brawling, my arms swinging around and rushing around knocking people and things over. Covered in all kinds, I got out and went the pub for a pint!

I'm aching and got a bad headache and really tired!
My bloods are spot on and I'm in ketosis, having my first meal in about an hour, good job it's my day off from work.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Feel much better today.
I'm fasting till this afternoon, and looking forward to some homemade soup.
Still dreamt last night, was one of those nightmares in my old workplace and struggling to cope with work. Glad I'm out of there!