Type one and depression

S

Shar67

That's ok
We can chat about debt another time, it is private anyway.
I'm sure once you get, debts in hand and have food it will take away that numb feeling.
I've been in similar circumstances, I was made homeless, although I was working, my new digs ate up all my wages
The money run out of a Tuesday so I never had food on Wed or Thurs, I was living hand to mouth desperately trying to stay normal, one night I thought if I end it, that will be that. I walked into the sea one still dark night. But you know something we are stronger than we think we are.

Reactions: 4 people

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
I have suffered for years with depression and had bipolar before i became diabetic. I know what your going through to some extent as i have found it hard to adapt to T1 let alone live with the depression. If u need to talk, im here xx

Reactions: 2 people

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to the doctors next week to discuss how I'm feeling which ain't good really. Could you discuss your bipolar with me ??

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi There,

I have suffered with depression for years, even before being diabetic (5 years now). It is a very frustrating illness and when you couple that with diabetes and then what life throws at you, it can be completely overwhelming! I have felt like giving up so many times but I force myself to remember the people I love, that life has some fabulous moments and there are people out there suffering worse things than I. Of course that's of no use when you feel you're being sucked into the black hole of moods but it takes practice to think those things.
Do you suspect you may be bipolar? Have you been checked for other things like thyroid (one of the symptoms is depression) and are your sugars stable? (When mine go a bit everywhere I feel awful moodwise!)
I really understand the awfulness of depression, my father suffered it since I was a child, my grandmother was sectioned and my bf has severe bouts (I know, we're a right bunch eh?? lol) so if you want to chat or need to have a good rant about life, please please feel free! Depression is so isolating, don't let it cut you off from people x

Reactions: 5 people

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
Its hard to explain really. I have times of mania where im bubbly, hyperactive, talkin fast, big plans an then with the click of fingers, it changes to deep despair where i feel the only way thru it is to end it. I also self harm so that is an outlet for my, not ideal but it helps me. I get the lows a lot just lately but the mania does come. Its hard coz ive had a lot to deal with in my life, ive had counselling, anti depressants. I was put on citalopram but had horrible side effects so am now on fluoxetine. My ex husband was one of my low times as he beat me down a lot and told me i had a borderline personality disorder. Tell your doc everything an if theres stuff in your past u need dealing with, id suggest counselling. It really helped me but i no its not for everyone. Do you keep a journal? I find it so helpful as it gets it off my chest but my writing makes no sense wen im in mania zone!! Hope this helps. Pm me if you want xxx

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well Cezli your ex husband is missing out on you so more fool him! I agree with the journal stuff but sometimes Im just too plain lazy to keep one lol

Reactions: 5 people

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
Well Cezli your ex husband is missing out on you so more fool him! I agree with the journal stuff but sometimes Im just too plain lazy to keep one lol
Thanx Lynz84, yeah took me 7 years to realise he wasnt the one for me. I didnt think i would ever be strong enuf to leave him but with great family an friends, i finally was free in 2008. Best thing i ever did. Yeah i have kept one since i was 13 but i still get days where i cant be bothered to write then play catch up a few days later! Xx

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has helped all what you e said makes so much sense to me. Like you my life since the age of 13 has had a very up and down cycle. But all went pear shaped when my died 10 yrs a go in May coming up. Have suffered with depression since I had my son in 2000 had very bad post natal. But recently something else is so going on with me

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
It has helped all what you e said makes so much sense to me. Like you my life since the age of 13 has had a very up and down cycle. But all went pear shaped when my died 10 yrs a go in May coming up. Have suffered with depression since I had my son in 2000 had very bad post natal. But recently something else is so going on with me
Omg my dad passed away 7 years this may 29th which made me worse too. It is hard living with depression and people who arent goin through it can sometimes be ignorant to the struggles we go through. Even getting out of bed some times is a task in itself. Here if u need to talk huni. Xx

Langy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people that lie
Does anyone else suffer with depression not just because of diabetes but from before!! I'm finding it really hard to cope I am seeing the doctor next week because they are wondering if I'm bipolar too. Things are hard as my husband was made redundant before Christmas and we are really struggling. We have no food in the house and can't pay bills

God I know it's late and everyone probably asleep so need someone to talk to
God you have a great deal to cope with

Langy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people that lie
Does your hubby understand about your diabetes

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tyler73, you are reacting positively to people's comments which tells me that you can see light at the end of the tunnel and that you are trying to remain upbeat. Depression is difficult. I suffer from it too although I believe it's related to my diabetes and my constant fluxuating energy. I feel inferior to others whom I think have the perfect life. I don't think this is fair because I don't really know what they go through either. You definitely can get through it. Diabetes can be the greatest curse but also the greatest blessing as you are generally more grounded and have to forward plan more and eat better than the general population which is not a bad thing!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Tylers73 I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so low. I go through periods of depression too, and thought I might be bipolar. My sister has been diagnosed as bipolar, and her son and two of my brothers killed themselves. I asked my GP to refer me to the Community Mental Health team for assessment, but they thought I have cyclothymia which is like bipolar, with mood changes from stable to hyper (high) to depression. They said I wasn't bipolar because I wasn't spending lots of money and getting into debt, and I wasn't having lots of affairs (chance would be a fine thing!).
I'm stable now after a bad depression last year, but I'm staying on the Fluoxetine which works for me.

I know when you are in depression everything seems hopeless, and it is difficult to deal with seemingly insurmountable problems like debt. But you need to know you will come through it. Bad times don't last forever, things will get better.

I saw Ruby Wax on tv a couple of nights ago. She gets depression. She has been doing shows about it, and said at one show a woman who had depression and cancer said depression was worse, because with cancer you want to get better, but with depression you just want to die. I can understand that. But having been through episodes of depression seven times over thirty year, I know you do recover, and will get through it.

I hope you can get some advice and support with your debt problems. But you need to take care of yourself and get into a better place to be able sort everything out. Things do work out in the end.

bud2367

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else suffer with depression not just because of diabetes but from before!! I'm finding it really hard to cope I am seeing the doctor next week because they are wondering if I'm bipolar too. Things are hard as my husband was made redundant before Christmas and we are really struggling. We have no food in the house and can't pay bills

God I know it's late and everyone probably asleep so need someone to talk to
Hello Tyler's I too have depression and some days I can't lift my big heavy head off the pillow, diabetes doesn't help but I wonder if they are linked ? A thing that took me a long time to grasp was, it's you and your family that matter, credit card companies and the rest will survive with out you. Your priority is you ! When you get better it has a knock on effect to everyone you come into contact with. If you have spent your life "doing the right thing " it's a strange concept, put yourself first. Try it, don't be scared to ask for help or talk about anything, media makes people like Stephen fry heroes for talking about depression, nonsense, we all need to survive were not heroes. I talk ( moan ) about my mental health to anybody some people it helps but not me. It's hard to get support but it's out there, get it. I hope you are well, cheers John

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type one on the pump and suffer with low mood and stress. This year work has been very stressful and my sugars have been all over the place. I think mainly because my memory and concentration. I forget to eat or eat on the go and forget my insulin. Then this in turn makes me knackered which exacerbates the problem. Then the stress hormones also kick in and this increases my sugar levels. I am off work at the moment and I can spend more time getting levels correct and eating regular. Exhaustion, difficulty thinking and lack of enjoyment have been the main problems. I am due to go back to work soon and I am worried that I will repeat this pattern.

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really interesting what you just said zebs. Would you care to PM me? I am in the very same situation. It would be nice to talk to someone.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Since diagnosis I have learned a few things about type 1 that I think are pretty important to mental health:

- Be kind to yourself, it's easy to get frustrated when things aren't going right, BG out of control etc, but just try and take it easy on yourself, it can and will be sorted.
- Fluctuating levels impact big time on your mental health, keeping levels stable is good for mind and body. Try low carb as it prevents the swings and lows on your BG, much better for mental health, avoid breads, pasta, rice, sugar etc.
- Stress increases insulin resistance, try and take up meditation, it helps massively with decreasing stress levels, you can find exercises on youtube or a local Buddhist group will have courses you can join in and it's donation only so pay what you can afford.
- If you are struggling then go for a walk somewhere green it's a quick de-stress exercise or just simply try closing your eyes and breathing in and out for 5 mins with no distractions and concentrate just on drawing and excelling the breath.
- Remember feeling low is temporary, it will pass, have faith that this is not permanent.
- Talk to those around you, those who care about you will help you too, don't feel alone.

Last edited by a moderator: